Paramount Australia & New Zealand

So they’re cutting back on light globes first, that could be a good start. Difficult for MS users because the sets will look dull and lifeless but as I’ve always said, “A dark news set by day, keeps WIN away.”

3 Likes

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/04/ten-no-plans-for-a-fourth-channel.html

1 Like

“Network Ten’s entire market value was less than $100 million on Friday and the company is now “un-investible”, according to analyst reviews of its half year results.”

16 Likes

What’s going to happen first, Ten going into bankruptcy or their share price reaching Ten cents?

If the share price of Network Ten actually reaches ten cents (like it was in danger of doing so around the start of last year), I could just imagine all of the rather obvious “Ten’s new logo” jokes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

If it did, news may need a rebrand…

22 Likes

Not a lot considering WIN just bought Ten NNSW for $55m. It actually represents a good opportunity for someone new to buy Ten out and launch a new network.
Most potentially buyers are probably just waiting to see how low it will fall and/or waiting for the reach rules to change.

3 Likes

Ten’s future will certainly be interesting to say the least: whether they do manage to restructure, are bought out by WIN once reach rules are abolished, or someone different purchases Ten and starts from scratch.

Can we start the speculation of potentional buyers then?

I wouldn’t mind Viacom as an international buyer, I like what they’ve done with Channel 5 in the U.K. Plus they have Paramount, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central etc

2 Likes

According to the AFR Ten’s news director John Choueifate has been spotted out at Sky News HQ.

Read into that what you will.

5 Likes

Maybe Discovery will come back with a new takeover bid?

1 Like

Can Foxtel buy Ten?

No.

4 Likes

And the real reason why the likes of Murdoch were on the board at ten, so his daddy can walk in a bit it a dirt cheap price! Which was said when they first took control!

I doubt the current media laws would let that happen. I reckon it needs the media reforms to pass first.

Could Ten’s woes be used as kindling to show why the Media Reform Bill needs to be passed? If Ten struggles to find a buyer, and those willing are restricted by law…

1 Like

SCA must be happy they offloaded Ten Northern NSW when they did, while WIN should be wondering now why they paid so much.

It’s almost as if SCA knew bad news was coming for Ten (there would’ve been rumours of course, and as previously discussed SCA offloading their last Ten affiliate made sense anyway).

Ten’s woes at present are unlikely to direclty impact on the regional affiliates. Sales for Ten have actually gone up in both terms of share of TV market and dollars (albeit only a small increase) - this is the biggest thing that affiliates care about - their main expenses are affiliate fees which are just a percentage of sales (of if sales goes up, profit after affiliate fees goes up), and playout/transmission/etc costs, which are reasonably stable regardless of network performance.

Ten’s biggest problems are the cost of content - both producing their own content and cost of rights - all of which have no bearing on the affiliates.
The other big figure loss is the impairment of the value of their TV licences - this is a non-cash transaction which reflects the market rate of the TV licences and affects the value of shares to shareholders rather than the actual operations of the company - all broadcast networks are currently doing this.

While the regional affiliates may have reason to be a little nervous, they really won’t feel much impact until the ratings of programming drop of significantly (at the moment Ten’s ratings are fairly stable, even if they are lower than the other networks) or if the company collapses and the screens go dark. However, the screens won’t stay dark for long if that were to happen - there will always be some value to someone in having FTA broadcast licences, even if the content they show and their business model is vastly different to what we know, in which case their will always be someone for the regionals to affilate with.

5 Likes

More to it, I believe

Remember in January the original discussions were over the sale of NRN to WIN Corp, and SCA acquiring i98FM from WIN.

The final deal ended up being - as we know - NRN sold to WIN, but i98FM was NOT sold to SCA. WIN got its television station and licence, but SCA is left with no radio assets in Wollongong RA1.

Bearing in mind that the NRN deal would be worth more than a radio station and licence, it probably explains why WIN paid $55 million in the end. Still a lot cheaper than what WIN paid for NWS and STW ten years ago now - granted they were metro Nine stations

Given that WIN’s owner is a significant shareholder in Ten Network I would say he knew all about Ten’s financial situation.

3 Likes