SEN (Radio)

They are fine as a niche sports station. I imagine they attract a reasonable amount of niche sporting advertisers too which keeps them running…
I for one listen to SEN to escape the real world that is adequately covered on 3AW and 774 ABC.

1 Like

Pacific Star has announced a proposed merger with Crocmedia: https://tbsskk.corednacdn.com/files/ASX%20Announcement_22%20November%202017.pdf
The merged group will be led by CEO elect Craig Hutchison.

2 Likes

Thank goodness, clear off the messy share register of PSN. Years of bad boardroom leadership.

Are you kidding me? Classic Rock Radio is the best thing that has happened to Melbourne Since Sliced Bread!

Their music selection is very good and the amount of advertising is quite low, and quite surprising that they have regular news bulletins and local traffic reports too!

1 Like

Apparently a community station in Perth, 91.3 Sport FM has been carrying some SEN programming. Ox and Marko seemed unaware and were curious why they get so many talk back callers from Perth and a caller mentioned they were listening on Sport FM.

Anyone in Perth listen and know how long this has been in place for? Is it just over summer while local programming is on leave or do they regularly relay SEN programs?

Are they even allowed to do this without paying?

Maybe they are (paying)

1 Like

http://www.sportfm.com.au/profile/summer-schedule/
http://www.sportfm.com.au/profile/winter-schedule/

Compare the pair… they take ‘SEN News Fix’ during winter, then Run Home during summer.

Mark Allen and David Schwarz allegedly sacked from The Run Home this evening after it finished up for the year.

Looks like it.

I was listening tonight. They had no idea they were done. Pretty terrible way to do business personally.

Schwarz confirmed the sacking to the Sunday Herald Sun. He and Allen were told their contracts were not being renewed by the station as they came off air on Friday evening. Schwarz had been with SEN for 12 years and Allen for 14, and they deserved a better send off.

Probably being replaced by a Crocmedia lackey who’ll spend half the time flogging a sponsor.

4 Likes

The Crocmedia merger isn’t a done deal but it will affect the on-air lineup if it goes ahead. Could be the start of it.

A new show has launched on Classic Rock Radio. Hosted by Jackson Oppy, Addiction Unplugged looks at the effects of addiction on people’s live, with interviews so far from Channel 9’s Laura Turner and former VFL footballer Darren Harland.

Interesting to see this kind of content popping up on what is SEN’s supplementary station - wonder what the station’s future might be under a merged Crocmedia/Pacific Star?

I reckon that’s been on before, either early Classic Rock days or in the last days of 3MP. Pretty much an as for the Hader Clinic but worth s listen.

I think something like this was on during 3MP’s dying months, IIRC it was like the show that Jo Hall does on Croc / 3AW.

3MP Is defiantly better than Classic Rock IMO. Had a better playlist.

I would agree with you, especially considering that Classic Rock Radio is now competing head-on with Triple M Classic Rock Digital since the latter came back to life in July. Granted, Classic Rock Radio has the advantage of being also available on AM, whereas the Triple M one is only available on DAB+.

Since the demise of Magic 1278 in favour of Talking Lifestyle back in February, Melbourne does not have an easy listening/oldies AM music station, which greatly benefited Smooth on picking up plenty of ex-3MP & ex-Magic listeners, resulting on it being either #1 or #2 FM station throughout this year.

3 Likes

Late to this. Really bloody ordinary way to treat two people who had done a lot for the station for a long time, including through some very tough times for said station. Marko and Ox were two voices synonymous with SEN and their departure will not go unnoticed, especially given the nature of it

We all know SEN isn’t the type of station to set the world on fire ratings-wise, but without a high quality product produced by high quality people it just won’t last. Chasing the cheap dollar a la Talking Lifestyle is a sure way to lose loyal listeners and send your fledgling station down the gurgler

It’ll be interesting to see what replaces them.

My prediction is Sportsday Central will move to SEN leaving 3AW to most likely just take Ross Greenwood, etc.