SEN (Radio)

I assume that would be due to him hosting Friday night AFL coverage.

Will be interesting to see how these changes go down, however - I think it might be a case of too much too quickly, but I’ll probably be proven wrong again

Another one bites the bust.

AFL commentator Matt Granland has also been axed by SEN according to the Herald Sun.

Quite possibly the worst decision of the lot at SEN.
My guess is that outside of the ‘marquee’ Friday night footy SEN will be taking AFL Nation’s calls. And they’ll add Maher, Dal Santo, KB and possibly Frawley/Connolly to the roster of AFL Nation callers.

Am starting to wonder if the “Hutchy and friends” ratio station will start to be a little like his efforts on the AFL Footy Show and Footy Classified on Channel 9 - polarising. On a niche station like SEN, getting half your audience off-side is not necessarily a winner (unless you are 3AW or 3MMM). Gerard Whately might soon be suffering buyers remorse (or the radio equivalent).

1 Like

Whateley’s working 4 mornings a week plus getting to do events such as the Superbowl. I’m sure he’ll be happy.
I agree, very polarising and I’d argue more than half their old listeners are off side.

1 Like

SEN has recruited Melbourne AFLW captain Daisy Pearce from Triple M according to Mediaweek. Pearce will appear on Gerard Whateley’s morning show, SEN breakfast with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson and develop her own signature women’s sport show. Pearce will also provide expert analysis on SEN and AFL Nation around the country.

3 Likes

Herald Sun is now reporting that SEN newsreader Brett Thomas, who was heard in the afternoons, has been sacked. He has been at the station for around nine years.

SEN has newsreaders? Didn’t they outsource to Macquarie last year?

I think they got one back with the News Maker software for breakfast.

Brett Thomas worked on SportsSENtral.

1 Like

Geez, another two quality no-nonsense announcers/callers let go. Will there be anyone left to call the games and announce during the week? Or will Gerard be asked to call eight games and announce five days? :stuck_out_tongue:

There’ll be a lot of confused people who’ve forgotten SEN over the off-season who will come back in March and wonder what on earth has happened to the station they used to listen to. Hopefully (for SEN) they will still like it and stay

One improvement I’ve thought for a while they could make (that didn’t involve mass redundancies of on-air talent) is to actually refresh the on-air sound of the station, they’re still using some of the same sweepers they had when I first started listening in 2005! I guess with all the new shows and announcers they will be forced to anyway :laughing:

2 Likes

Craig Hutchison’s clean up of SEN continues. Sunday Herald Sun reports former Collingwood premiership coach Mick Malthouse was told his service was no longer required.

strong text SAD THAT MICK MAUKTHUSE HAS GONE BUT ALWAYS KNEW THAT WHEN CRAIG HUCHISON ANSUMED THE CEOS JIB AND PACIFIC STAR NETWIORK THAT THERE WOULD BE MASS SACKINGS AND NEW SIGININGS,. SEN IT IS A SURE THING WILL TAKE AFL NATION THEY WILL USE KB, DANNY FRAWLEY JACK HEVERIN, GERARD WHATELEY, ANDREW MAHER & ANTHIONY HUDSON THE OTHER TEAM MEMEBRS OG AFL NATION. YOU ALREADY HER NIOBS AZOR FURER OF NIOVA 100 ON SEN ON SPOERS SENTREL. I HAVE BEEN WINDERING WAS NIBS AZOT SIH\GNED TI SEN TI REPLACE KEVIN HILLIER OR DOES HE ALREADY WORK AT SEN?

Nims has been covering shifts on SEN since the Nova 100 relaunch, I’m fairly sure, where they cut all local shifts except weekday & weekend breakfast from Melbourne.

Before that, he hosted breakfast on the ACE Radio Mixx FM network.

Gerard Whateley has revealed to the Sunday Herald Sun the reason behind his switch from ABC to SEN. Whateley’s ABC contract expired on December 31 last year but the broadcaster did not make a formal offer to renew the contract. Then a meeting with Craig Hutchinson late last month convinced Whateley to jump ship.

strong text GREAT MOVE CRAIG HUCHISON BAD MOVE ABC FOR NOT RESIGUNIOGN GERARD WHATELY ABC RADIO’S LOSS IS SEN’S GAIN.
GERARD WHATELEY WILL BRING WITH HIM TO SEN AS MANY ABC MELBOURNE LISTENERS AS HE CAN GERAD WHATELEY TO SEN = AN AUDIENCE BOOST BUT HOW BIG A BOOST IT WLL BE SL CAN DO IS JUST WAIT AND SEE

I suspect the ABC were assuming it was a matter of him accepting whatever offer they put forward, from memory his last one was rumoured to be settled on his final day after courting an offer from 3AW.

The programme does sound interesting and that it will more than just sport. Unfortunately my Summer break ends tomorrow so will have to wait a little while to listen in.

1 Like

For the first time in Australian radio history, SEN will broadcast the Super Bowl next Monday morning (AEDT).

Source: Radioinfo

1 Like

No news at 9am. Straight into Gerard’s new show with a quality editorial and introduction and now an interview with Rod Laver. Starting strong.

2 Likes