Optus Sport

NBCUniversal also renewed the US rights to Premier League for six years.

2 Likes

When they won the rights to the EPL in 2015, they partnered with SBS to show a game a week for the 2016-17 to 2018-19 rights cycle which included sub-licensing the World Cup which angered some fans.

Optus Sport is the official broadcaster for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup

1 Like

Well
that assumption is based on the fact that they aren’t subscribing to them already and a lot of football fans would be.

1 Like

Their parent company Singtel in Singapore broadcasts EPL in 4K UHD on their own OTT servce Singtel TV. Optus has been promising 4K EPL but nothing has been mentioned yet.

1 Like

Would have cost Stan/P+ more than double their current financial commitments for Rugby/A League

2 Likes

Also, I would guess that a fair chunk of Optus Sport’s 1 million ‘subscribers’ aren’t actually paying for the service but rather get it as part of being an Optus customer.

2 Likes

Does Optus Sport have a Kayo-like app?

Yes

1 Like

No mention of dollars yet, but I’d imagine that Optus would have put a really pointy bid in given that the loss of the PL would have probably shuttered Optus Sport.

I’d be interested to know what the customer breakdown looks like - I suspect they’ve got a decent portion of their Sport customer base on the “free” addon if you have a mobile/internet service with Optus.

6 Likes

Correct it is due for renegotiation next year. I have asked a Fox contact when Nine/Fairfax said earlier in the year that they have the F1’s contract again. They didn’t know anything about it.

Seems strange that Nine keep saying it in their articles, but Fox don’t know. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Maybe they’re confused with motoGP. It’s seems strange or they just think that F1 will renew with fox. There might a n option to extend.

3 Likes

Miranda Ward of the AFR also reporting the Formula 1 renewal to Foxtel. You would like to think she has done her own fact checking and not gone with the SMH possible mix up with Moto GP.

1 Like

Or maybe it’s a done deal without a press release.

1 Like

That’s very unlike Fox, who normally blow their own trumpet four times over on announcing programs and sport rights.

Strange times we live in.

Possibly just waiting on Fox to find a FTA partner for Aus GP and 1 hour highlights.

1 Like

The draw for the European play-offs for next year’s FIFA World Cup was announced this morning.

All the play-offs will be shown exclusively live on Optus Sport.

You can read about the rest of the World Cup playoffs here

3 Likes

Nice job hosting by Adriano Del Monte for FIFA, but he didnt bring any luck for Italy or Australia in their respective draws haha
he tweeted earlier in the day that Italy kept having bad mock draws in the lead up to the real draw

If I was UEFA I would have had one pot of 3, the top seeds, to be each in a different playoff path, then draw the other 9 from another pot, into the 3 playoff paths
that would have avoided the scenario of it being assured at least one of Portugal/Italy miss out on the World Cup

1 Like

2021 Vitality Women’s FA Cup Final

Watch the Women’s FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea on Optus Sport this Monday morning from 1am AEDT.

Optus Sport has announced it will stream the Women’s FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea exclusively live and on-demand, allowing Australian audiences to witness one of our Matildas lifting one of England’s most famous trophies.

Regardless of the result, at least one of our own will etch their name into the history books, becoming only the second Aussie woman to win this prestigious piece of silverware after Taryn Rockall, who triumphed with the Gunners in 1999.

Previously, only Rockall and Hayley Raso (Everton, 2020) have reached this stage.

Arsenal boast Matildas stars Caitlin Foord, Steph Catley and Lydia Williams while Chelsea’s star-studded squad is headlined by Sam Kerr, who is fresh off becoming the first Australian in history to ever achieve a podium finish in the Ballon d’Or, finishing third.

Only a select group of Australians, men or women, have ever played in an FA Cup final – Joe Marston, Craig Johnston, Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Mile Jedinak, Rockall and Raso – but that elite group looks set to expand significantly this week as Aussies line up on both sides of a decider for the first time ever.

Foord and Catley both appear in line to play a part for Arsenal, with the former starting in the 3-0 semi-final win over Brighton that earned the Gunners their ticket to this showpiece.

Meanwhile, Kerr has been on fire for Chelsea, netting a hat-trick in her most recent FA Women’s Super League clash against Birmingham City, and starting in the 3-0 semi-final victory against Manchester City en route to Wembley.

“We’re thrilled to be able to showcase the talent of some of Australia’s best football players as they battle it out on the world stage this weekend at Wembley,” said Corin Dimopoulos, Head of TV & Content at Optus.

“As the home of the world’s best football, we can’t wait to celebrate home grown talent and bring this historic match to our customers on Optus Sport.

The announcement follows Optus Sport agreeing a new deal to stay the home of the FA Women’s Super League until 2024, allowing subscribers to watch 10 of our finest female footballers in action week in week out against some of the world’s best players, in addition to becoming the official host broadcaster of the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup to be held on home soil.

Australians will be able to watch the full FA Cup final either live or on-demand with the Mini Match, highlights and post-match reaction from Wembley all available to view after the game.

https://twitter.com/VitalityWFACup/status/1465244138723418115

1 Like

I thought FA Cups were on 10?

maybe from next season.