On This Day

On the topic of wrong episode going to air, ABC’s Media Watch back in October 2003 exposed WIN News Central West (which has been axed last month) on airing the same Friday bulletin the following Monday.

Here’s the story: https://web.archive.org/web/20031229000215/http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s960887.htm

1 Like

Today’s the 10th Anniversary of Masterchef Australia First Winner Announced as well as the 32nd Anniversary of Countdown’s Final Episode.

MasterChef Australia First Winner Announced drew more than 3.72 million viewers across Australia on TEN and this program topped the highest program for the year. TEN won strongly over Nine and Seven during the night. Julie Goodwin won over Poh 10 years ago.

3 Likes

20 July 2014 (5 Years Ago)

ABC1 ditches its numerical style to become ‘ABC’.

3 Likes

20 Jul 2009 - First episode of the 7pm project aired on TEN. This show promised decent ratings. On the first episode, it pulled over 1 million viewers. This show was filmed via South Yarra’s studios.
20 Jul 2017 - this marked Craig Hutchison’s final appearance on AFL Footy Show before being dumped.

1 Like

I remember watching every minute of the first week of The Project. It was a good show (and still is) which evolved as it went on. Then it extended to one hour after 6:30 with George Negus copped the axe in October 2011.

It didn’t really reach any heights ratings-wise but IMO it provided a good alternative to ACA. Since 2013 I have been watching the second half-hour of the show right after the news.

I didn’t watch the first ep of 7pm project as I headed off to dinner. Hughesy, Bickmore, Pickering were the main presenters but who was guest host?

Would’ve been Ruby Rose. I also recall an interview with Sienna Miller in the first week.

James Mathison was also a semi-regular host in addition to his Australian Idol duties.

20 July 2003 - a record $515,000 is won on just the second ever episode of Deal or No Deal Australia.
20 July 2004 - this bulletin of Seven News Sydney (presented by Ian Ross) where one of the stories was cyclist Sean Eadie being cleared over drug use.

3 Likes

…and the graphics package which launched that day would remain in use until the 3rd of February of this year.

For what they’re worth, here’s a few caps:

I think I’ve actually got a vague memory of watching that as it was going to air.

One of the last bulletins that would be presented from Epping, with the move to Martin Place (and a major On-Air Presentation relaunch for Seven News, with a look that’s arguably far better than the one they have now) just under six weeks away…

3 Likes

And this was the opener from the very first night at Martin Place.

I wonder how the Morning and Afternoon News bulletins that day were presented so as to keep everything under wraps until 6:00pm that night…

The Afternoon News was read out of Melbourne (which was presented by David Johnston, with weather presented by David Brown) back then, so there was no problem. As for the Morning News, I think it was also done from Melbourne on that particular day instead of Sydney.

2 Likes

The Morning News on 14 February 2011 and 1 February 2016 were also presented out of Melbourne so that the new national/Sydney sets on those respective dates could be kept under wraps, too.

But for the 30 August 2004 bulletin, can you remember if the ‘old’ graphics were used, or the new ones? Probably the former.

2 Likes

Forgot how amazing that set was :hushed: With some graphic changes, that would make an amazing set in 2019.

Did the Martin Place studios have more and larger street front windows back then? I can’t seem to recall seeing that much of the street on Sunrise :thinking:

20 July is a big day in Australian TV

That first headline: Oh how Mark Latham’s political leanings have changed in 15 years…

With the time difference between Athens & Sydney, when would the Closing Ceremony of the 2004 Olympics have aired (live or replayed) on Australian TV? Because I actually would’ve been wondering whether or not Seven Morning News even went to air that day!

Especially since Seven (at least from a Sydney market perspective) has “saved the surprise” for 6pm with most of their major graphics relaunches in recent years.

I actually think a HD version of those Opening Titles might still look good on screen today.

Most of the other elements would have to be completely redone for the VizRT and Weatherscape XT systems used by Seven (and most of our news networks for that matter) these days though.

1 Like

Sydney is seven hours ahead of Athens during non-daylight saving. From memory, the Opening Ceremony aired at 3:30am on Saturday 14 August 2004 AEST; this followed a replay of the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony.

The Closing Ceremony would’ve finished sometime after 11:00pm 29/8/04 Athens time, which ultimately led into a relaunched Sunrise at 6:30am 30/8/04 AEST.

3 Likes

21 July 2008 - Big Brother Finale (Season 8) - housemates danced to the song of untouched by The vernoicas. This was its last show for Ten. Terri Munro, won Big Brother S8 series.

1 Like

Interesting to note that Melbourne was still airing promos in the old graphics during Sunrise that day, and like Sydney had a surprise relaunch but to that awful blueish cartoon backdrop…

3 Likes

Wednesday July 22 2009 - the premiere of The World’s Strictest Parents on Channel Seven. This was a must-watch documentary for all families nationwide.