On This Day

Doesn’t sound like “Pete Smith speaking” am.I correct? Any idea when he came onboard?

Ron Neate was the announcer for the first ten episodes of SOTC before Pete took over.

1 Like

Sounds like Pete Smith to me

It isn’t

3 Likes

15 July last year

3 Likes

This sounds very similar to the original Lateline, which started in 1990. Am I correct in assuming Kerry just took the idea to the ABC?

I hadn’t thought of that but do recognise the similarities- cover story then interview- now that you mention it. Well spotted.

On this day back in 1956, HSV-7 Melbourne begin their test transmissions.

3 Likes

A dark day for Australian TV !

16 July 2012

These YT videos have amassed a huge number of dislikes over the years - I think a combination of viewers not liking the show and possibly others expecting something to do with Lord of The Rings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what I recall, the ratings for the premiere episode of The Shire were a number which was appalling in 2012 but probably would be classed as a hit by current standards!

Although with the landscape as it is in 2019 with highly questionable shows like Non-Binding Commitment Ceremony Melodrama Married At First Sight (with the 2nd last episode of this season where a contestant poured wine on another scoring close to 2 million metro viewers - so classy :roll_eyes:), I genuinely wonder if The Shire, Being Lara Bingle and Brynee: My Bedazzled Life would’ve enjoyed more ratings success had they launched around 4-5 years later! :confused:

I didn’t watch the first episode of The Shire (as I was busy with studies) but what was the ratings like for the 5-city metro markets during the first episode? The second episode, saw ratings dive and continued its decline during the season.
Correct me if I’m wrong but did The Shire go against the 2012 Summer Olympics on Nine during the 2 weeks head-to-head?

Episode 1 rated 913,000, ep 2 had 1,062,000 but then the London Olympics came along and ep 3 had 537,000

2 Likes

So the second episode actually rated better than the premiere?

Yes. although some viewers have turned off during the show as they find it bad. During the 3rd episode, the show was beaten easily by Nine thanks to the Olympic games. The 2nd half of 2012 was terrible for TEN

1 Like

15th July 1985, showed a pretty significant fire in Sydney, in this video comprises reports from TEN Eyewitness News with (young) Tim Webster and Ann Sanders, Seven National News with Ross Symonds and Karina Kelly, ABC National with Richard Morecroft and National Nine News with Brian Henderson. All networks using Live crosses. The first report from TEN shows how futuristic their set design was.

2 Likes

On this day in 2019, a technical error at the ABC causes the wrong episode of Mad as Hell to be aired.

1 Like

In a historical context, this sort of thing has happened before. Number 96 episodes once got shown out of sequence due to human error at Melbourne’s ATV0, causing quite some confusion with fans…

3 Likes

In 2006 Canadian television viewers were up in arms when CTV aired the second episode of a new season of Grey’s Anatomy instead of the first. The network blamed the mistake on a satellite feed error.

2 Likes

I forgot how long it took to get to the main game on the original version

On this day 4 years ago Nine had 3 different sports shown on different channels simultaneously from 7:30pm to 10pm - Liverpool v Brisbane Roar From Suncorp Stadium on Go, NRL match on Nine and The Ashes 2nd test on GEM. Southern states had NRL on GEM in HD and Cricket on Nine in SD. Shows how busy Channel 9 was during the night! Correct me if I’m wrong but it was a close battle between Seven and Nine Network during the night in terms of prime time shares.

1 Like