On This Day

On This Day, 1993: Australians woke up to find out if Sydney had won its bid to host the 2000 Olympic Games. Seven and Nine both had live coverage from Monte Carlo from around 3.00am to 9.00am AEST, while Ten was live between 2.30am and 5.00am, with updates during the 6.00am repeat of Sports Tonight.

That evening, Nine screened special prime time editions of their Sunday afternoon Footy Shows in Sydney and Melbourne as grand final previews for NRL and AFL respectively. It sort of served as a pilot to the night time Footy Show that began the following year.

3 Likes

Although with the rugby league version of The Footy Show, it’s to my understanding that the Sydney version only ran during the finals series of 1994 before finally being expanded to cover the full football season in 1995.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that. I just figured both NRL and AFL versions began concurrently starting in 1994.

I remember it well. I missed the announcement but I remember the radio news bulletins at 6am as I woke up. Everyone was in a very happy mood at school that day. Also made for a very happy birthday for me too.

1 Like

The D-Generation would do a special episode of The Late Show from Sydney to celebrate the win.

25 September 2010–The Seven Network launched its new multichannel, 7mate on Channel 73. This replaced its 7HD channel.

September 25, 2000 - Cathy Freeman ran the race of her life to win the Gold Medal at the Sydney Olympic Games.

September 25, 2004 - Port Adelaide denies the Brisbane Lions a four-peat by beating them by 40 points in the AFL Grand Final.

September 25, 2010 - the most recent drawn AFL Grand Final between Collingwood and St Kilda was televised on the Seven Network. It is also the first program to be televised on 7mate, which is launched that day; breakaway programming began straight after the game. Whichever station broadcasted the drawn game would also telecast the replay.

3 Likes

Didn’t watch the Grand Final 2004 on TEN as I headed back home from the Saturday Club but I believed that Port Adelaide wore their white shorts, even if it was a home match.
On that day - 25 September 2008 - TEN pulled the plug on its game show, Taken Out due to soft ratings. The game show was beaten heavily by Seven News and Nine News in its 6pm timeslot. The Simpsons replaced the low-rating show.

Fast forward to 2010–Collingwood v St Kilda match was also shown on a 3d telecast for the first time on Channel 7. It was very close between these two sides in the final quarter. Would it have been better for 7 to implement the 5-minute warning during the match?

I was in Hong Kong at the time of 2004 Grand Final so I had to listen to the radio commentary via the internet in a public library. Since I returned to Australia I had seen highlights of the match but not the full match.

I was in San Francisco and found the one and only sports bar in town that showed it on Fox Sports World. It was good though - direct feed from Network Ten with no adverts. Can’t recall the end as I was drowning my sorrows at the loss!

3 Likes

20 years ago today.

4 Likes

I miss that version of the news theme.

26 September 2005–Rebecca Maddern became the next anchor as the 7 News at 4:30 bulletin.
26 September 2009–The AFL Grand Final between St Kilda and Geelong was televised on TEN. As well with that, they also simulcasted the match on ONE HD.
26 September 2010–The Nine Network launched a new multichannel, GEM (aka 9Gem) on Channel 90 in metropolitan areas. This replaced its 9HD channel.

1 Like

26 September 1983 - Australia II wins the America’s Cup with overnight coverage leading into celebrations the Monday morning.

2 Likes

In about an hour in the US 50 years ago today the first episode of The Brady Bunch went to air on ABC.

1 Like

I’ll put Tiger in the car so he doesn’t chase Fluffy and ruin the wedding.

Thanks, Alice.

1 Like

Are you fantasising about me in a maid’s uniform again?

It’s usually a French Maid’s outfit I imagine, but this is a special occasion.