On This Day

And if the tuning instructions in the TV ads weren’t clear enough, this brochure … probably wasn’t much better :wink:

Tvq10-1

Tvq10-2

Tvq10-3

Tvq10-4

Tvq10-5

Tvq10-6

I probably should re-scan these. These scans date back to 2000!

6 Likes

September 11, 2001

The future of Ansett dominated the news headlines in Australia before a much bigger event on the East Coast of America from 10.45pm that evening. All regular programming was abandoned the following day as all 5 major networks relayed coverage from CNN, NBC, ABC America and CBS on the 9/11 attacks.

4 Likes

September 11, 2015 — Million Dollar minute aired its final new episode on Channel 7 to make way for a new game show, The Chase Australia.

3 Likes

September 11, 1978: Lavish Australian convict drama Against The Wind premieres on ATN 7.

Described as “the finest Australian television series ever made” and Australia’s answer to Roots, the thirteen hour, eight part historical drama is one of the most hotly anticipated television events of 1978.

Television critics from across the country who had been treated by Seven to a two day screening event in Melbourne are universal in their acclaim of the “stunning saga of the early convict days in New South Wales”.

The first episode hits a peak rating of 48 points but doesn’t quite reach the heights of success TEN had the previous year with Roots.

I was too young to view the show when it first aired but I certainly remember it being talked about.

Source: The Sun-Herald, 10 September, 1978.

3 Likes

12 September 2010 – Junior MasterChef Australia premiered on Channel TEN during that night. This show provided strong ratings with 2.2 million metro viewers watching this show. This put Channel TEN to second during the night in terms of audience shares. As well with this, it was the Number 1 show for the week.

14 September 2015 - The Chase Australia debuted on Seven as a solution to their struggling news ratings. The Governess, who was heavily promoted in the weeks leading to the show’s premiere, is the first Chaser.

Two contestants make it to the Final Chase where they were beaten with just seconds left.

A TV program launch which of course, was overshadowed by a major news event that day! :wink:

4 Likes

September 14, 1975 - This Is Your Life premieres on ATN 7 with Mike Willesee as host. American and British versions of the show had been in production for nearly two decades but the show had always been considered too expensive to produce in Australia. An executive associated with the American show is brought out to guide production. This Is Your Life is an instant hit and would become Sydney’s top rating show within weeks.

1 Like

I remember my parents always watched it on Sunday nights, with Roger Climpson hosting, so I always found it difficult to envisage Mike Willesee or even Digby Wolfe hosting it during its first few years. Not sure if such a format would work these days where the benchmark for subjects would probably rank somewhere between Roxy Jacenko and Kyle Sandilands.

3 Likes

Same. The show was probably responsible for piquing my interest in Australian history. I only remember Roger hosting. I was aware Willesee originated the hosting role but hadn’t realised there had been another host before the role went to Roger. Apparently Digby Wolfe was meant to be the original host but couldn’t do it due to ill health.

I also recall Paul Hogan doing This Is Your Strife sketches as Roger Simpleton is his show around that time.

2 Likes

Amazing the impact some of those early Paul Hogan parodies had. My dad, even now 40 years later, is still amused by Paul Hogan’s send up of ACA host Michael Schildberger as Michael Cheeseburger.

4 Likes

15 September 2000

The Opening Ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games was watched by more than 6 million Australians, the largest television event this century and one of the most watched TV broadcasts here

3 Likes

The date is also notable for being the birthdays of Brian Henderson & Michael Usher.

It’s just far too easy for me to eulogise over how special and important September 15/16 is for Sydney television and indeed the city as a whole, but surely I can’t be the only person who’s really hoping that Nine is planning to schedule the move to North Sydney around this time of next year?

2 Likes

After the 2000 AFL and NRL season concluded, The Sydney Olympics began in Australia. During The Olympic Games, the strongest market was obviously in Sydney (as host city). Perth might have been the weakest market during the Olympics period.
With the Olympics, Channel 7 won the 2000 ratings year over nine.

A lot more than the around 6 million the television ratings claimed I think. Estimates I read is around 10 to 12 million.

2 Likes

15 September 2006–The Steph Show went to air for the final time on Channel TEN after 8 episodes. This show was a reality show starring former Australian singer, Stephanie McIntosh. During its 8-week run, the ratings was very low in its 6pm timeslot, being beaten by Seven and Nine News. The finale episode was the new music video, Tightrope.
After the show concluded, it went to the telecast of the Semi-Final AFL match between Fremantle and Melbourne live from Subiaco Oval into Perth markets.

Happy 88th birthday to Brian Henderson, whom many Sydneysiders grew up watching.

I still remember watching his final bulletin in 2002; it was an emotional evening.

Also I’m made to believe Michael Usher cracks the half-century today.

5 Likes

And we’ve heard very little of Stephanie since then.

I believe that Stephanie McIntosh was in the USA now. She has two daughters.

2 Likes

I know, these two relaunches still happened relatively recently in the overall grand scheme of things but today marks exactly six years since the relaunch of Ten Eyewitness News (which lasted until the end of October last year - albeit with “First At Five” added to the name in Early 2015) and Seven News’ half relaunched graphics which lasted until 2016.

Exactly where has that time gone? I still vividly remember how much of a frenzy the pre-Discourse Media Spy was about the changes, no doubt the levels of forum activity were helped by there being quite wet weather in most if not all major Australian capital cities on 16/9/2013!

2 Likes