On This Day

Mulray would later return to Nine in 2005 to judge Starstruck, not long after Kerry’s death.

It was definitely Thursday September 3, 1992 that Australia’s Naughtiest Home Videos was pulled off air halfway through.

However, it is to my understanding that it was a front page story in both Sydney newspapers the following day with classic quotes such as “Nine pulls the plug on Uncle Doug” and “Mulray…too naughty”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Starstruck aired on Nine early in 2005, while Kerry Packer passed away towards the end of the year.

1 Like

Perth didn’t see the comedy show Due to time difference but a re-edited version was aired nationally on 28/08/2008. Bert newton did the commentary - 16 years after Mr Kerry Packer told Nine to get the show off air.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t nine played it again in March 2009?

who got fired over it? Doug Mulray was hosting it as a one-off so I don’t think he was actually fired as his work was done before the show went to air

4 Likes

Tomorrow marks 20 years since the 9/9/99 promotion that aired on Nine.

1 Like

On this day the last TVQ 0 news bulletin was broadcast 9 September 1988 ahead of the change to TVQ 10. Opener:

4 Likes

and allows us the opportunity to revisit a golden moment in TV advertising, how this did not win any international awards I have no idea

YouTube: RIEGS-TV

3 Likes

“I know!”
“Come across to Ten…it’s easy!”

Definitely an ad of its time.

There was a series of commercials - several with tuning instructions, other featuring network stars. It was unusual to see promotions for a “different” channel being broadcast - such as the Olympic Games “on Channel 10”.

I grew up with those dial and push button televisions and those instructional ads have me scratching my head. You have to wonder how many Brisbane oldies just didn’t bother because it was all too confusing. I’d be interested to know if TVQ’s ratings suffered following the change.

and around the same time, DDQ-10 were getting ready to move to channel 0 and rename themselves Vision TV.

They’d just have got their grandchildren to do it for them.

The Olympic Games began the following week, so I imagine that prompted enough people to tune up to 10 despite the dodgy tuning advice :sunglasses:

They renamed to Vision TV prior to changing from 10.

4 Likes

For most people it wasn’t too hard, just a matter of selecting 10 on the TV or VCR. Nearly every TV sold in Australia came with 0, 2, 7 , 9 and 10 pre-tuned and TVQ Brisbane was assigned the exact centre frequency of 10. so the fine tuning should have been OK as well.

2 Likes

PS: no-one in the main reception area needed a new antenna for 10, as the frequency was covered by the standard ones installed; for many reception would have improved markedly with 10 being less affected by multi-path, power line and electrical interference and more tolerant of poor installations. People in [ Murwillumbah, however, needed a new installation if they wanted to continue to get metro TV :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the night the changeover happened, weren’t UHF viewers on the Gold Coast told they didn’t have to adjust their sets?

Correct. Mt Tamborine UHF not affected.

1 Like

could they access the UHF translators from the Gold Coast?

In Murwillumbah town itself, you can’t get the Gold Coast translators. TV would have been direct from Brisbane and the local RTN8 translator on Ch 5 back then. The coastal towns from Tweed Heads down to Hastings Point can receive the Gold Coast translators.

3 Likes

On this day in 2007:

An unsavoury incident occurred on Seven News Brisbane when reporter Ben Davis was attacked by a gang of drunken Broncos supporters during a live cross to Melbourne’s (since demolished) Olympic Park Stadium.

The Broncos had lost to the Storm 40-0 in an NRL qualifying final match which pretty much explains the fans’ behaviour.

1 Like

Not Murwillumbah - UHF doesn’t travel very far and mainly in straight lines - easily blocked by hills etc. The very low frequency of ch 0 was notable (outside of unusual atmospherics) for distant reception as the waves would follow the Earth’s curvature.

Of course today is the date of the change of frequency

And the first Channel 10 6pm News for Brisbane

3 Likes