On This Day

YouTube: Australian TV Fan

4 Likes

Yes, those are the ones! Thanks for posting those

I remember seeing two parodies of those on old websites:

1. A Comedy Company sketch mocking the Fitzgerald Inquiry “There’s Nothing Going On Around Here”
  2. A Xmas tape version with the word “AXED” appearing on the screen every time an axed show was mentioned
5 Likes

24 July 1989: The first full day for 10 TV Australia, including the re-badging of Ten News back to Eyewitness News after less than a year, and a lot of new shows in prime-time

7.30 Family Double Dare
8.00 The Wonder Years
8.30 Quantum Leap
9.30 The Bronx Zoo
10.30 Bizarre
11.00 Santa Barbara (moved from daytime)

2 Likes

Wow, a few short-lived programs in that lineup!

Although in fairness The Wonder Years and Quantum Leap both ran for a few years, I don’t think either program was ever a massive ratings hit in Australia.

I could see why The Wonder Years wouldn’t play all that well here.

it went for a few years in prime time so it must have done OK. But then, when the 4.30 timeslot was still tied to the “C” classification for kids shows, Ten somehow got it classified as “C” so it could run it as a lead-in to the news at 5.00. I’ve got no idea how it passed off as a children’s program specifically for 5-12 year olds. Its target demographic would have been anything but that IMO.

1 Like

They are really pushing it with that “C” rating. The Wonder Years was never a staple when I was growing up, I remember it had a late-afternoon slot on Saturdays in 2001 on 7 and that is the only time I can ever recall it being on TV in my lifetime.

I think The Wonder Years later got a rerun on Pay TV channels TV1 and 111 Hits.

Last I recall the program being on Australia FTA was in a random Saturday or Sunday afternoon timeslot on ABC1 (as ABC-TV was branded as back then) sometime around 2011-12.

You know I think I stumbled on a random episode on ABC in 2013.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:2274, topic:9928”]
I think The Wonder Years later got a rerun on Pay TV channels TV1 and 111 Hits.
[/quote]That seems the more likely place for it to end up here.

Ahh, Family Double Dare. Lasted four or five episodes from memory. I had the pleasure of being in the studio audience for it. It was recorded in Studio A at Ten’s old North Ryde studios. The audience warm up guy told us that at the time, it was the largest TV studio in the country. From an 8 year olds perspective, it was massive.

4 Likes

26 July 1965: SAS10, Adelaide’s third commercial TV station, is officially opened. The opening had to be postponed from its originally proposed date of 12 July due to a dispute between SAS and its interstate partners over program supply arrangements.

Source: TV Week, TV-Radio Guide, The Advertiser

7 Likes

I wish the regionals had the balls to stand up to the networks and refuse the “all or nothing” demands in the way SAS10 did.

Loving the description of Paul’s relationship status as “single and ‘fancy free’” in that article.

5 Likes

27/7/2003 The Mole returns to the Seven Network after 15 months off-air; it is rebranded The Mole in Paradise.

That same evening, Australian Idol premieres on Network 10.

5 Likes

What a great night of TV. Watched both. The Mole is Paradise was great. They should bring back The Mole!

The 2005 version with the live voting part and elimination in the Martin Place studio hosted by Tom Williams was okay but not as awesome as the 2003 version!

1 Like

Didn’t they do The Mole in the 2010s and it wasn’t very good?

They did in 2013 it turns out. Hosted by Shura Taft. I did not watch. Grant Bowler really makes that show!

It lost a lot when Grant Bowler stopped hosting. I didn’t mind the Tom Williams season but it wasn’t the same.

1 Like

They tried to make the 2013 season more like the newer wave of reality shows, with it airing over multiple nights per week and having constant Confession Cam segments every five seconds. It didn’t suit The Mole.

3 Likes

of the six seasons of the show, this one was the most intriguing, with the location setting (New Caledonia) and the two fake eliminations. Also throw into that a cheating scandal in the penultimate episode which changed the course of the game.

1 Like