Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

TBH Seven’s coverage was getting pretty stale and cookie cutter. It was the same hosting setup in Australia for several games including Comm Games. It was hard to tell the difference between one coverage and the next. The main innovations came from the host broadcaster’s provision of extra streams.

Hopefully Nine can put more resources into the coverage. Though a long time ago, their London coverage, while criticised by some, did outrate the previous two games.

11 Likes

I really don’t care if they commentate or host on location or from a studio tbh. Let’s see what 9 does…
Hopefully by 2032 it won’t be a worry for me anyway… I’ll be retired by then and plan to attend many of my favourite events if I can get tickets. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s been speculated they didn’t bid.

Mcgarvey doesn’t know what she’s doing. God knows the last time they signed anything remotely lucrative or game changing for the network. She isn’t attracting the right content to the network.

2 Likes

Previous article said Paramount did not want to, in short, bid on things that were 10 years away.

4 Likes

It reminds me of the position Seven were in a few years ago where they had a significant sports portfolio.

The issue Nine will perhaps face down the track though is something’s probably gotta give. They’ve just done a big deal to keep the Australian Open, next year is the first year of a new NRL rights deal and now they’re adding the Olympics on top of that (not to mention their significant investments into rugby union and grand slam tennis). It’s going to be a real challenge for them to balance all of that financially long-term.

4 Likes

Surely Nine will also go for the Commonwealth Games in Victoria 2026?

8 Likes

The NBCU output maybe, which they just let lapse back to Seven (begins on Christmas night). That would’ve been in the tens or even hundreds of millions wouldn’t it.

2 Likes

honestly suprised 2032 was included. i would have thought the IOC would have carved that off and waited until 2026 or 2027 before putting that out. and $300 Million? absolute bargin, especilly for a home games

9 Likes

I don’t believe it is a bargain. They’ll run at a big loss.

1 Like

Ben has changed his story more times than I have change underwear this week.

It is really fairy tails by him. His Twitter is a laughable at the changing tails by him.

Which begs the question, how much has Seven paid for it? Remember they have taken content off Nine/Foxtel and Fetch for exclusive deal with NBCU. So do they have or want to spend extra on cricket??

2 Likes

wonder if this will spur a move off mt cootha for 9 to be “in the action”. they will probally stay up there and base themselves out of the IBC but it might be an option now

1 Like

You really have to give it to Nine CEO Mike Sneesby. Under his tenure, Nine has been able to sign long-term rights deals with Tennis Australia (for Australian Open), the NRL, and now the International Olympic Committee. This sets up what I call Nine’s next “golden decade”. It will be virtually unbeatable in the ratings for the next 10 years, especially in Sydney and Brisbane.

The only thing that will make some shareholders worried is the financial output. All these deals cost money.

Does anyone remember how much Seven paid to show Sydney 2000?

10 Likes

The Paralympics will not be included in the deal apparently. Wonder who will get them?

1 Like

I’d say a LOT!

1 Like

According to the AFR, Seven will be paying NBCU more than $45 million in the first year of the deal. (it then obviously increases each year after then). Considering they’re probably paying more than Nine did, the savings the latter are making from losing the NBCU output deal barely touch the surface of their increased sports expenditure.

1 Like

The IOC aren’t responsible for Paralympics rights.

3 Likes

The former Olympic broadcaster 7 in 2020 attempted to offload that year’s Olympics which was already postponed due to COVID

1 Like

It was a two summer game deal (Atlanta and Sydney) plus Nagano winter games for around $80m around 1995.

3 Likes

Ten had Sochi 2014 which was for $20 million (2013 money) announced in May 2013 after Seven and Nine pulled out.

1 Like

Exactly - if the market is strong makes sense to throw in Brisbane to encourage bids, but if it’s below expectations they should at least have held the 2030/32 cycle back then used it to boost bids for 2034/36, with the 36 games likely to be in the less favourable European time zone.

2 Likes