Olympics Coverage - History

Fox Footy can air a Friday Night game from Perth starting at 6.10pm AWST as part of a Friday night doubleheader.

A derby could be possible. 5.20pm start for the first game in Melbourne. West Coast and Port Adelaide played a Friday night game on Good Friday this year.

Or just a 6.10pm WST start played on 7mate at 8.10pm while 7 airs the Opening Ceremony.

1 Like

Milano-Cortina has been elected to host the 2026 Winter Games.

5 Likes

First Winter Olympics in Europe since Sochi and the first Olympics in Italy since 2006.

Opening Ceremony will be at the new San Siro while the Closing Ceremony will be at an amphitheatre in Verona.

5 Likes

Overnight the IOC approved changes to the Olympic bidding process. They will now allow cities, regions and even countries to bid for the right to hold games (rather than one city). This is seen as a a boost for the chances of Brisbane/SEQ/Qld placing a bid for the 2032 games. There are also multiple changes to reduce the cost of hosting including allowing smaller venues.

5 Likes

I think justice prevailed when Seven got back the rights to the Summer Olympics for Rio 2016.

I have a feeling their coverage of the Tokyo Games next year will be huge, given it’ll be the most timezone-friendliest games since Sydney 2000 (Tokyo is just one hour behind the East Coast, meaning most events will be shown in our primetime).

1 Like

Except swimming will have heats in the evening and finals the next morning to satisfy American audiences.

1 Like

Like it was in Beijing. This may probably be for another topic, but this would be the Seven schedule:

Syd/Melb/Bris
5:30am Sunrise
9:00am An Olympic-themed program
10:00am Tokyo LIVE
6:00pm Seven News
7:00pm Tokyo LIVE
12:00am Overnight programming

The Chase Australia and Home and Away would not be shown during these two weeks

1 Like

I would not be surprised if Seven News was shortened to 30 minutes for the duration of the games

1 Like

Swimming coverage at lunchtime will affect ratings in primetime. 3 million people watched the Opening Ceremony in Beijing in 2008.

2 Likes

I reckon another way for the AFL to work around Friday July 24 (which is the date of the Opening Ceremony) is to have a game on the previous evening (Thursday July 23) instead, with no game on the Friday at all.

This would avoid any prospects of a clash with the Opening Ceremony.

But I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the AFL do (next year’s fixture will be released towards the end of October)

1 Like

Seven News wasn’t shortened during the Rio Olympics, so I’d probably expect it (with no doubt extensive Olympics coverage) to still be on for the full hour during Tokyo 2020.

If the rumours about a Today Tonight relaunch/revival are at all true, I’d probably also expect that to air during the Olympics. Maybe even The Chase Australia too.

3 Likes

A quick point outs:

1. Yeah, I think that The Morning Show will take hiatus. This was similar to 3 years ago in Rio when they put this show on hiatus. Kylie Gillies did the highlights while TMS was taking a break. What happened with Larry Emdur during the Rio Games period?
  2. Today Tonight - Adelaide and Perth viewers did not have TT due to the RIo games 3 years ago. I think it will be the same for Tokyo 2020.
  3. The Front Bar - What will happen to The Front Bar for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth (as well as Sydney and Brisbane) viewers.
2 Likes

Regarding the last point, I remember that Seven rested all of their AFL magazine shows (eg; GameDay, Talking Footy, etc) during the Rio Olympics so they’ll probably do that again. As such, guessing TFB would be subjected to the same fate unless they do special Olympics episodes (like they did last year with the Winter Olympics)

2 Likes

This is similar to Pyeongchang 2018 with The Morning Show putting on hiatus. Who know what the schedule will look like for Tokyo 2020 Games. The outcome is that AFL games will have to be moved to 7mate as the Games take priority. The Tokyo Games is a global event. They will use the Primary Channel, 7Two, 7mate and even 7flix.

2 Likes

Also worth noting, the majority of Seven programs (incl The Chase Australia, Home and Away, The Morning Show, The Daily Edition etc.) also took a break during last year’s Commonwealth Games.

1 Like

I’m sure the Front Bar could take a break for 2 weeks, and commence an Olympic edition instead.

2 Likes

During the GC2018 Games, Seven took a break from The Chase Australia, HAA, MKR. Why did Seven didn’t do the same for the Pyeongchang Games, given that they were in a friendly timezone towards South Korea.

2 Likes

Good question. Generally speaking, I don’t think the Winter Games rates as astronomically as the Summer Games do, and they only sent Eddy and Hamish McLachlan to Pyeongchang to cover the event.

When Seven had the 2002 Commonwealth Games, Mark Beretta presented the majority of the coverage. Whether this was actually from Manchester or from a dedicated studio in Sydney (like Hamish did for the Rio 2016 Games) is unknown.

1 Like

Yeah I would have thought that the Pyeongchang 2018 Games on 7 rated much higher than the Sochi 2014 Games on TEN due to timezone difference. As well as this, they also used 7mate for the South Korea Games. When we get to 2022 Beijing Winter Games, who knows which FTA broadcaster will get the Games.

3 Likes

Athens 2004 was done from a studio in Melbourne/Greece but Seven sent production staff and crew to Beijing 4 years later.

3 Likes