Olympics Coverage - History

You would think the ceremonies would actually be designed more with commercials in mind - obviously not with breaks every 10 minutes but with segments placed within the broadcast which broadcasters can opt out of fairly easily without seemingly missing any action, while those not taking ads still get content. The only time I remember it happening really is in Atlanta 1996 where we had regular updates on the Olympic torch making it’s way to the stadium, which is presumably when NBC showed their ads.

Re: Paralympics - agree it’s a bit pointless 7 launching an app when all it includes is the 7Two broadcast - the content is available to be streamed in the same way as the Olympics. The IPC have announced a deal with the IPC though for coverage on DailyMotion with up to 15 HD feeds of 13 sports live a day - sadly around 7 sports, plus distance events like the road cycling and marathons, don’t get live coverage from the OBS, and plans for Globo to plug the gap fell through.

It’s getting there but I think the Paralympic movement were perhaps kidding themselves if they thought London was the new norm but it’s definately an improvement. Seven do seem to be giving at least comparable coverage to ABC, but I think where the Paralympics lose in Australia (and other countries) is by having the same broadcast as the Olympics they are inevitably the afterthought.

C4 being awarded the rights over the BBC in the UK was a masterstroke for London 2012 - it meant they were publised in their own right with a campaign which had far greater impact than the BBC’s campaign for the Olympics, and undoubtedly contributed to the ticket sales too. Similarly this year the games have been promoted throughout the years and the campaign seems to have hit the right note again, whilst getting The Last Leg off the back of London 2012 has given the movement frequent coverage over the last four years.

1 Like

Seven’s Rio 2016 app has updated itself (on iPhone at least) to now be “7 Live - featuring Rio 2016 Paralympics”.
It also contains sections for medal tally, highlights and athlete profiles.
In think after the Paralympics this will update to “7 Live” as a way of making more people watch the live streams as they discover they have access- it’s definitely a better strategy than having the app become redundant at the end of the games.

2 Likes

Wednesday 31 August

12:00 PM AEST
Seven News Special: Olympic Home Coming Parade

Have not confirmed which markets will get this.

Edit: potentially just Melbourne

Update

Sydney Parade - Monday 29 August at 12 midday - just Sydney/NSW
Melbourne Parade - Wednesday 31 August at 12 midday - just Melbourne/Victoria

1 Like

What about SC7?

Australian Olympic Team Homecoming Celebration

Monday from 12pm LIVE on Seven

Sydney is set to stage a public homecoming welcome for the Rio 2016 Australian Olympic Team on Monday, and Seven News will be there to bring viewers rolling coverage of the celebration.

It will be the first chance the public will have to meet and congratulate our athletes on their achievements.

Seven News special coverage begins Monday from 12pm with sports anchor Mel McLaughlin LIVE from the reception at the Sydney Opera House Forecourt. Mel will be joined by Seven’s Jim Wilson, Matthew Carmichael and Liam Cox, as well as triple-gold medallist Leisel Jones.

Medallists and athletes including Kim Brennan, Chloe Esposito, Tom Burton, the Campbell sisters, Anna Meares, and many more will be welcomed home by Premier Mike Baird, Lord Mayer Clover Moore and AOC Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller in an official ceremony.

Event details

1 Like

Traditionally these types of parades have been down George St with a reception in Town Hall Square. But that’s impossible now with George St ripped up to lay the tram tracks.

2 Likes

It will also be shown on Southern Cross in Tasmania according to online guides.

The Anzac Day march this year was down Elizabeth Street, though with this year’s number of medallists they might only need to close Castlereagh or Pitt Street…

[quote=“melbournefan, post:1215, topic:627, full:true”]

What about SC7?[/quote]I’ve looked at two sets of guides for SCTV. One of them has the coverage from 12pm-1pm, with ‘Australia’s Cheapest Weddings’ rpt to follow. And the EPG guide has the coverage listed as 12pm-1.30pm.
You would suspect it will be the same as on Seven Melbourne - 12pm-2pm.

Melbourne is 12 - 1.30pm Border Security at 1.30

1 Like

Ebroadcast guide has it from 12pm-2pm…?

Edit: Seems when you click on the actual name link it shows it from 12pm-1.30pm.

With that filler program, they may as well run it to 2pm. :grin:

Looks riveting

2 Likes

A belated flag stuff-up. This is from Canada’s CBC, putting the flag of Niger instead of Nigeria. We’re not alone.

3 Likes

The Paralympic Games are coming…
The #Rio2016 Paralympic Games are coming to 7TWO!

2 Likes

I wonder how long it will be now until 7TWO is running a Paralympics watermark?!

2 Likes

I know it won’t happen but imagine how awesome would it be if 7Two’s Paralympic coverage was simulcast on 7HD for the duration of the games. A total pipe dream I know.

2 Likes

I think it’s nice that they are using a Paralympics lock-up logo for 7Two. Is a lock-up logo for the Paralympic Games as common as the Olympic version? It’s a good way to also alert viewers, as I have barely seen any Paralympic promos since last week.

1 Like

Not that it means anything at all, but it must be said that 7TWO now has a similar watermark to 7mate with the vertical logo alignment and space for a HD addition underneath!

While I agree that 7TWOHD Paralympics coverage is unlikely, you never know what Seven might have planned…

2 Likes

Emily Angwin is heading over to Rio to cover the Paralympics.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJv-tf5BPiz/?taken-by=emilycangwin&hl=en

3 Likes