NZ Radio History

And in the technical team at 3ZB, Tammy Wells. She is, of course, the long term front person for the very successful Briscoes TV and radio ads.

3 Likes

Cheers I’ll keep trying. I expected to recognise the name when I saw it so 35 years has made me forget. He may have gone to England but definitely not before the paperwork I was given on here which was September 1987.
If anyone knows something I’ll keep checking on here. I appreciate the help thus far

2 Likes

I grew up listening to 3ZB/3ZE, but I’ve no idea either! I do know journo’s tended to move on fairly often, especially in the smaller places. Would the Radio Heritage site be of any use, or try a search in Digital NZ?

1 Like

Cheers I’ll check those other sites. Maybe it was Mike McRoberts but I don’t remember dark features. Hey 35 years is a long time so I will look a bit more and see on those other sites.
And maybe this chap was a South Island guy and not tied to 3zb but he was on it

2 Likes

New in the vault: From 1998, Brian Staff on Solid Gold FM.

1 Like

Posting it here also, despite this thread not being used since May.

1 Like

A Martin Smith listed in the program staff listing. Is that him @Mark1 ?

Nice to hear some of the old voices of
Radio making a comeback
Ie alan beagle on mediaworks

1 Like

Same here! I was a huge fan of Constable Keith and the kid’s show on Sundays. Another voice I remember rather well was Robbin Harrison of 3ZB. Heard both his daytime talkback show which was local, and then later on his nationwide talk show at night.
Also, I’m quite certain he was the narrator for a cassette manual for a specially adapted computer for the blind/visually impaired that I used in the mid 90s in school. (yes, I’m totally blind).

4 Likes

Wow. What an awesome thread! I have a couple of fun stories to relate.

Talking of radio Liberty, I was there for its opening day, although the way I came across it, and what drew me in was neat. On the 3rd of April, 1995, I noticed that 1323KHZ in Christchurch had gone silent, after carrying radio Aotearoa for some time. My interest peaked, I kept an eye on that carrier, and then, later that day, I came home to something rather unique. What’s this VOA Europe thing that’s suddenly on my little radio in Christchurch? Was I actually listening to some local American station? Alas no, but the concept of external broadcasters hadn’t quite come to me yet, that would be about a year later when I discovered shortwave.
Anyway, I was hooked, and rather annoyed when the actual programming of Liberty took over, however, I was rather pleased to note that overnight, voa europe was back. Even moreso when I found out that while liberty was away over Christmas 1995, voa europe was here. So that became my preferred listening for a while, until liberty was shut down in January? Feburary of 1996.

During that time, though, something weird happen. I was preparing to listen to a certain show from the VOA (voice of America) portion of the broadcast, only to find that it just wasn’t there. After a day or so of dead air, or random noise… Bloomberg radio out of NYC shows up! Something had definitely gone wrong up there with the satellite feeds. At least I’d guess it would have been a satellite feed. This lasted for a day or two, then voa europe was back.
Anyway, just some fun stories for you all.

2 Likes

Would say so…he used to do corporate ad voice overs if I recall rightly or even endorsements…I can vaguely recall him using his name to endorse something on a CTV ad in Chch.

He was a good host on local talkback.

1 Like

Happy New Year to all of us on MediaSpy. Here’s one of my favorite New Year’s themed airchecks to celebrate, when Palmerston North’s 2XS FM entered the new millennium in style, with announcer Todd Jennings at the mic.

2 Likes

@LiamP uploader has closed their account.

Presume that was a Radio Vault upload - does seem to have gone missing alas. Would be a bit of a shame if they said enough was enough and chose new year’s as the time to “start anew” with other things, as it were - as much as I probably understand it if they did :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

Radio vault had some good material on there the best 1 i heard was the day 89fm launched in auckland the clip was about 30 mins long but was a great piece

2 Likes

Does anyone know where to find a Channel Z “Feed your ears” print ad from 1996?

1 Like

Photo: Supplied.

@millsy Sandra Pericolini was hired by RNZ in 1987 to deliver the weather on the Paul Holmes Breakfast show, which was broadcast from Auckland through Newstalk 1ZB (now Newstalk ZB).

Alongside newsreader Philip Sherry (who, sadly, is no longer with us since his passing in 2021) and sports anchor Barry Holland, she became known as 1ZB’s ‘weather girl’ when it came to radio. However, her current whereabouts remains a mystery to me.

2 Likes

I have bad news about 1XX’s news intro they use on Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Christmas Day.
Today (Good Friday 2024), 1XX finally got rid of their outdated news intro they’ve been using since the early 90’s. Now 1XX replaced it with something that sounds very similar to the BBC News theme, and the voiceover goes something like “Media Bay of Plenty” and “national and international news”.

3 Likes

@Trent_Jordan Just a moment ago I uploaded the new 1XX news jingle and bulletin to YouTube.

As mentioned in the description, the new jingle - which can only be heard annually on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day as the Broadcasting Act 1989 prohibits commercial advertising on radio during those days - features a BBC inspired signature tune and the words ‘Media Bay of Plenty, bringing you a national and international update; this is 1XX News’ voiced by Andy Galbraith, who is described as a business owner, producer, director, creative thinker, camera operator, editor, voiceover artist, musician and a ‘general amazing guy’.

Together with his wife Sarah, they are the managing directors of a Whakatane-based media company known as Media Bay of Plenty (formerly Radio Bay of Plenty) which oversees such radio brands as 1XX, Bayrock and Q97, plus the video production house, BullsEye Productions NZ.

The news, sport and weather were recorded off 1XX (90.5FM) at 9am on the morning of Easter Sunday 2024 and, as I said earlier, uploaded to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!

1 Like

You tend to forget about the non advertising on good friday and easter sunday…it actually makes a nice change

3 Likes