NRL on Nine

NRL will be shown on the main channel in Melbourne tomorrow night.

6 Likes

100% Footy 9 logo

8 Likes

Half Maroon Half Blue.

Very appropriate.

4 Likes

State of Origin Game III – The Decider

WEDNESDAY, JULY, 13 FROM 7.00PM
AVAILABLE ON CHANNEL 9 AND TO STREAM ON 9NOW

The most dramatic Origin series in recent memory will culminate in the ultimate finale when the 9Network showcases The Decider – State of Origin III, Exclusive, Live and Free on Channel 9HD and 9Now on Wednesday from 7.00pm AEST.

The Queenslanders will step onto their home turf as underdogs, a position they thrive in, after the late withdrawal of superstar playmaker Cameron Munster. However, coach Billy Slater, captain Daly Cherry-Evans and human highlight reel Kalyn Ponga won’t lack any motivation in pulling off an upset in front of the Maroons army at a sold-out Suncorp Stadium.

Having only won two deciders in 12 attempts in Brisbane, New South Wales will have to defy history to win the series. Blues captain James Tedesco and halfback Nathan Cleary will carry their state on their shoulders as they aim to silence a hostile home crowd.

Hosted by James Bracey, the Wide World of Sports commentary team for Origin III features an array of the biggest names in rugby league, with Andrew Johns, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Phil Gould, Paul Vautin, Paul Gallen, Darren Lockyer and Wally Lewis, along with Mat Thompson calling the game live beside Johns and Smith.

While you’re on the edge of your seat, Wide World of Sports will cross live during play to both Origin coaches, Billy Slater and Brad Fittler, to add to the intensity for their view on the state of play.

Danika Mason will deliver all the breaking news from the sideline alongside Gallen, while crossing deep inside Blues territory will be Emma Lawrence at Panthers Leagues Club in Penrith. Sam Thaiday and Allana Ferguson will have their fingers on the Queensland heartbeat at the Caxton Hotel in Brisbane.

9Now will stream Origin III live with comprehensive coverage that features four additional streams to choose from:

• Player Cam NSW – Nathan Cleary
  • Player Cam QLD – Daly Cherry-Evans
  • Spidercam – Look out for those towering Matt Burton bombs. This eagle-eye view of play takes you that little bit closer to the action
  • Coaches Cam – A split screen of NSW coach Brad Fittler and QLD coach Billy Slater

Plus, you can catch up on all the highlights in a 20-minute breakdown on 9Now mini-match.

WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS DIGITAL: Available on 9Now and YouTube

QUEENSLANDER – Maroons legends Darren Lockyer and Sam Thaiday are joined by interstate intruder Andrew Johns at the hostile home of the Maroons – The Caxton Hotel, to give their preview of The Decider in Brisbane.

WWOS.NINE.COM.AU – It’s the #1 online destination for all your Origin news content.
– Live blog featuring video highlights and analysis from Channel 9’s Origin commentators
– A comprehensive Match Centre, featuring video highlights, scores and stats
– The Mole’s no-holds-barred Player Ratings
– Match reports and analysis capturing all the big moments of the game

BROADCAST TIMES
AMPOL STATE OF ORIGIN III – QUEENSLAND v NEW SOUTH WALES
Wednesday, July 13
Exclusive, Live and Free from Suncorp Stadium Brisbane

Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 9HD and 9Now
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 9HD and 9Now
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 9HD and 9Now
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 9GemHD, 7.00pm on Channel 9HD and 9Now
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 9GemHD, 5.30pm on Channel 9HD and 9Now

5 Likes

Watching the Live coverage through alternate camera angles — no ads, no replays, no commentary.

6 Likes

Andrew Johns - completely unprofessional last night; shouldn’t be part of the commentary team. After his “Now we have to listen to all the bullshit youse go on with for the next 12 months.” comments he wasn’t asked to comment again.

1 Like

That’s State of Origin passion which many people from non NRL states or seldom NRL fans don’t understand.

If your issue is him saying the word ‘bullshit’…He said the word bullshit at 11pm on TV. That’s a non issue.

If your issue is that he’s a ‘sore loser’…He showed passion….fantastic! That’s what makes Origin great and brings the big audience numbers in.

Give me Joey’s passion over robotic lines like ‘full credit to the other team’ any day.

What the hell has happened to the world and this country whereby someone that is clearly upset that his team lost…and showed some passion…is to be cancelled. What an absurd notion to suggest he never be allowed to commentate again.

If you know anything about the game of rugby league and/or have played it, you’ll know that his expert comments during play by play commentary last night were a cut above anyone else. He was completely objective (to the point he sounded like he was rooting for QLD!!).

Cancel culture has GOT TO STOP. He said something you didn’t like…either grow up or don’t listen to him. There’s no need to cancel and sack people because he offended some people.

Next time he will know to come out and say ‘Full credit to Queensland. It’s a game of two halves. We’ll go back to the drawing board.’ BORING!!

14 Likes

Yes it’s fine to be passionate, but he could have chosen his words a bit better.

Agree that it’s a minor issue however and shouldn’t impact on his TV career in anyway.

3 Likes

I disagree. I love seeing the passion. We need more of it.

I suspect the NRL & Channel 9 are secretly pleased. His comments show the rivalry is strong and contribute to the reason why SOO is so strong and produces huge audiences and hype.

3 Likes

I think I’ve watched every SOO that has been broadcast and I’ve seen plenty of passionate commentary over the years and can totally understand the perspective from which it is offered - both maroon and blue. What was shown last night might have originated in passion but it wasn’t professional in any way.

Surely what we look to from the commentary team is post game analysis. I don’t care if the insights are delivered with passion or in partisan way but they should be respectful. Rather last night we got an unprovoked petulant outburst directed at the others commentators at the desk “Now we have to listen to all the bullshit from you”.

I think his contribution to Nine’s NRL coverage is one of its problems and why I will always chose Foxtel’s coverage when given the chance.

7 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is advocating for his cancellation. Not even the article or the tweets quoted were calling for it. You can point out a lack of professionalism without wanting to see their career burn to the ground.

5 Likes

Yeah agree 100%. From the article sighted, it’s not right to suggest anyone’s within cooee of calling for him to be cancelled, or that cancel culture is at play. People calling him out for not doing his job of providing post match analysis is arguably a reasonable critique.

Personally I liked seeing his emotion come through but can perfectly understand why some people didn’t. I thought his match commentary was very good too.

:flushed:

1 Like

Hello Gus Gould, Is that you!!! I do argee that the not allowed to commentate is tad far.

oh please. I understand passionate but Andrew Johns was a sook and that is typical of him…I know he did it on the playing days too.

Irony.

I’d also point out that if you quoted @TV.Cynic fully, perceived unprofessionalism was the reason their opinion was Johns’ shouldn’t be part of the commentary team, a reasonable criterion for almost anyone’s job (even though we may disagree on if he was unprofessional or not).

Well said and well said about the Nine’s NRL Coverage problems.

4 Likes

Easy fix.

Don’t like him? Watch Fox. Doesn’t need to lose his job because he was frustrated and showed a bit of passion less than an hour after the game.

Pathetic attitude. Don’t commentate if you can’t handle loss.

1 Like

Not an option for Origin and Grand Finals however. Or live at least.

He showed last night that he’s lucky to have a basic grip on the rules and that alone should put into question his position in the commentary team.

Last night’s commentary was woeful and it shows how much Nine has dropped the ball with having a succession plan for Rabs. The cheerleading from the commentary box really shows they’ve dropped any pretense of impartiality for the colour commentators

4 Likes