NRL on Nine

Do all of them need to go into the media?

2 Likes

You could name any number of retired players who have retired who have gone into a non media business.

4 Likes

Good for them. I wish certain former players now infecting our airwaves took their lead.

So Dan that would only leave people who have never played the game, like Ginnane, Voss, Hadley or Kent (who played one game for Parramatta) to basically do everything.

I’d much rather a former player with their knowledge and insights over any of the above.

1 Like

Just like 17 players in NSW State of Origin Team are Wankers, Right?

1 Like

I am wondering if Cam Smith is there also to improve ratings for Southern States.

I notice there has been a increase in ratings in the southern states(More Melbourne) when Billy Slater is on Channel Nine coverage.

I am wondering if this “Southern States” Commentary team might come to fruition?

Not all former players are wankers. You just have to be specific in your choices. Smith is up there with the Kents, Brohmans, Girdlers, Sailors and Geyers of the world - sure they may have some experience, but they’re not entertaining. They come across like their shit doesn’t stink and the world revolves around them like the cattle in Twister. And you also mentioned Ginnane, Voss and Hadley - the first two are tolerable in small doses. Hadley needs to retire.

I just wish some people would retreat into the 9-5 ether and not pop their heads back up.

When they’re playing for NSW, no they’re not. Outside, a better than average chance.

1 Like

That may just be coincidental based on who is playing eg. Slater is more likely to be used by Nine when the Storm is playing.

Viewers are not going to know who is commentating beforehand.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The Sunday Telegraph reports that this year’s State of Origin will be the last with a Sunday night game in game two of the series (at Suncorp Stadium on June 27). From next year it will revert to all matches being played on a Wednesday night. The reason is that Origin matches on Sunday don’t rate as high as midweek fixtures.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/saint-sinner-shoosh-nrl-tv-revolution-16-games-across-13-nights/news-story/7a2339dc22434d8394a8ea88d0546bc4

9 Likes

It should never have moved from mid-week.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, Sunday State of origin matches didn’t rate well because of a couple of reasons:

• Most people have to prepare for work and school tomorrow
  • Sunday night, more people stay at home and watch tentpole shows.
  • It clashes with AFL on Sundays.

Next year’s State of Origin Game 2 will be played at Perth Stadium. Originally, it was pencilled in on a Sunday, but will definitely move to a Wednesday. The date for the State of Origin is yet to be finalised.

1 Like

If I had my way, it would part of an Origin carnival… every Saturday night for 3 weeks in a row, with a similar City vs Country on Friday nights, and you could have an Indigenous vs Maoris Origin(players not involved in either Origin game ) on Sunday arvo.

This would stop Origin from disrupting the NRL comp that goes on for 6 weeks and gets it over and done with in half the time.

But I know that won’t happen.

5 Likes

Even though the same can be said about most Wednesday night State of Origin matches? Typically only one a year is held during the Winter school holiday period for NSW & QLD.

As if the NRL care about that. All sporting codes are in competition for fans/TV viewership.

I like that idea, preferably held outside the NRL season too.

But you’re right, it won’t ever happen because holding the three games during mid-Winter works far too well from a TV perspective.

3 Likes

State of Origin wasn’t broken. It was working perfectly on initially Tuesday then later Wednesday night. Fiddling with it was stupid.

2 Likes

Are you saying they don’t care if their ratings are way down in Melb/Adel/Perth as there is an AFL game on at the same time? Because on Wednesday night they are the only sporting event of note on.

1 Like

Do people consider the start time? If they want Sunday SOO potentially they need to make it an afternoon contest?

I’m going to the Maroons Blues game at the MCG and was staggered when I saw the start time being after 8pm! That’s super late. Should be 7:30 at the absolute latest!

5 Likes

Agreed - it would be ideal kicking off at 7pm even.

10pm is a nightmare on a Sunday in New Zealand to stay up for because it inevitably doesn’t start until 10:20pm by the time Nine stop fucking around.

Bit different midweek as you can get through the last couple of days of the week with a bit less sleep. Lol.

1 Like

I don’t think Nine gives a shit about New Zealand. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Does anyone?