NRL on Nine

Telecast of the WOmens State of origin finished at 10PM (AEDT)

4 Likes

Who was the last person besides Rabs to call Origin?

Darrell Eastlake

Surely Ray Warren has done the commentary of most (if not all) Origin matches since 1991?

2 Likes

Probably Graeme Hughes when TEN last had the rights in 1990/91.

Yes, I think Ray has done every game since.

2 Likes

As a side note, Alan Thomas and Billy J Smith also called SOO games for Nine for the Queensland market in 1991 and 1992.

5 Likes

Yep but he was with Eastlake in the early 90s

4 Likes

“Nothing wrong with that, two big men having a go”

Geez, rugby league broadcasters probably wouldn’t get away with making a remark like that during Origin commentary these days!

2 Likes

I think that that article is overblown. Nine has covered QLD matches well this year with Psaltis and Lockyer.

2 Likes

I agree, it’s Nine trying to throw their weight around.

None of the NSW contingent are needed in Brisbane for the 3rd Origin.

There were suggestions in the Daily Telegraph app yesterday that the QLD Government has slammed the door shut on this, and its not going to happen anyway.

It’s been confirmed that Ray Warren will have to commentate tonight’s Origin decider from Sydney studio, after Queensland health authorities refused to grant exemption for him and fellow Sydney-based commentators to fly to Brisbane. However a dozen key technical personnel were given the green light.

I think the radio stations that cover Origin tonight (Triple M, ABC, NRL Nation) may also have to call the match in Sydney, although the ABC and Triple M have some personnel available in Brisbane.

5 Likes

Andrew Johns has a exemption he will be at the game.

5 Likes

I think ABC will use Quentin Hull to call the match.

1 Like

I don’t think he is needed there, but anyway.

Isn’t Andrew Johns mates with NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler? Makes me wonder if that may have helped to get Joey an exception…

1 Like

Ray Warren was on Kyle and Jackie O this morning to talk about his career, and even had Kyle to try his luck in calling a rugby league game.

Cameron Smith, who released his autobiography this week, is joining the broadcast team as a special guest.

1 Like

The epic decider – State of Origin set for a thriller

With Cameron Smith joining the broadcast team as a special guest and a potential world-record COVID crowd attendance, the stage is set for a monumental State of Origin decider in Game 3, EXCLUSIVELY LIVE on Nine and 9Now from 7.00pm AEDT tonight.

After being ambushed by a gallant Queensland side in Game 1 in Adelaide, New South Wales had a dominant win in Game 2 in Sydney last week. And while they are the series favourites, the Blues’ record for winning deciders north of the border is poor – making this an enticing contest that could come down to the wire.

A capacity turnout of up to 52,000 spectators is expected tonight, giving Suncorp Stadium the biggest crowd in the sporting world since COVID hit. The famous cauldron will be at boiling point, and those in Queensland can snap up the remaining tickets via Ticketek.

Joining the Wide World of Sports broadcast team as a guest commentator is Maroons great Cameron Smith, who has won four out of five series deciders at Suncorp and played in more State of Origin games than anyone – 42. No player could offer a better perspective on what it will take for the young Queenslanders to prevent the Blues from winning three series in a row for the first time in 15 years.

Comedy duo Roy & HG return for a third and final preview ahead of the big game, reminiscing as only they can on their favourite moments and players in Origin history.

NSW coach Brad Fittler has stuck with the squad that got the job done convincingly in Game 2, with James Tedesco relishing the captaincy and the new halves combination of Cody Walker and Nathan Cleary looking deadly every time they had the ball.

Wayne Bennett, on the other hand, has made several changes to the Maroons, including three Origin debutants: Edrick Lee on the wing, Corey Allan at fullback and Harry Grant on the bench. Cameron Munster is a confirmed starter after lasting only two minutes in Game 2 due to a head knock.

Viewers will have the option to stream the game live on 9Now, and there will also be supplementary streams available, focusing on stars Nathan Cleary and Cameron Munster and following them around the field.

It shapes as one of the most enthralling games in Origin’s 40-year history, on a night when legends will be made and a paper-thin line separates thrilling victory from agonising defeat.

2 Likes

Re the "Channel 9 felt differently about the decision to not allow several members of the production crew into Queensland, saying the call has set the Origin decider up for “technical failure”

Well, it was Nine’s decision to do it this way. They could have used to same production crew and commentary team that did the Storm semi last month, or the Women’s Origin game on the Sunshine Coast lastweek, but nope, they’ve taken the risk in doing it from Sydney.

Hopefully they’ve got Psaltis on standby at Suncorp if it all goes pear shaped on the commentary side.

1 Like

Is this the first time that commentary and hosting is in a different state?

1 Like

Did you see the broadcast quality of that match? (not the cameras or anything, but it was like a knock-off version). I’d rather it be from Sydney and be better.

1 Like