NRL on Nine

Andrew Voss is another one, who left after a falling out with the station when they signed Hadley.

Peter Sterling called play by play during the 2012 Olympics when Ray was away.

I do wonder who covered Adelaide Rams games for Nine? But those games were only for Adelaide viewers.

Not sure who, but that reminded me that David Morrow did call Western/Perth Reds games for Nine Perth.

AFL identity Adrian Barich had some kind of guest host or sideline role, I vaguely recall.

Mark Geyer done a bit of play by play during a Penrith game years ago when Vossy got ill at half time. It was hilarious! I wish there was a video of it

2 Likes

Grand Final Day Line Up (AEST)

13:00 pm Women’s Grand Final Sydney Roosters V Brisbane Broncos (9GEM in AFL states)
Join our expert commentary team for all the action from kick off to the final siren. Kick off at 1:30PM AEST.

15:30 pm State Championship Final (9GEM in AFL states)
NRL Intrust Super State Championship Grand Final, live from ANZ Stadium, Sydney. Join our expert commentary for all the action. Kick off at 4:00PM AEST.

06:00 pm Nine News

06:30 pm NRL Grand Final Pre-Match Entertainment
Featuring a live performance from multiple ARIA-Award winning Australian rock band, Gang of Youths.

07:30 pm NRL Grand Final Sydney Roosters V Melbourne Storm

09:30 pm Post Match Presentations
Analysis, post match interviews, presentations and victory lap.

For Adelaide and Perth also see:

1 Like

Yet again underwhelming from nine. They never startthe broadcast nice and early and do a full build up. They have the footy show but it’s not really that special to make sure the event gets the coverage it deserves.

4 Likes

What time would you suggest they start the coverage?

11am… live from outside ANZ stadium. Have a large outside broadcast for the build up, special guests, year in review etc etc.

Ten use to do a massive coverage from early morning for the AFL … that scale of coverage hasn’t been repeated in recent years by seven or nine.

2 Likes

Seven start their Grand Final coverage at 9am every year.

1 Like

perhaps I am wrong but didn’t Ten do it much earlier, like a Grand Final Breakfast which Seven haven’t done in years.

Probably because, to them, it costs money.

If you can get away with doing the bare minimum, they’d do it. It’s like a real life version of the World Wide Business Group.

1 Like

The thing that kills Nine’s Grand Final coverage for me is the 6pm news smack bang in the middle of it all.

Ruins it, imo.

6 Likes

Yeah, Ten started at 8am because they covered the traditional North Melbourne GF Breakfast (which Fox now has the rights to)

Although I definitely get where you’re coming from, news happens every day of the year so it would not be appropriate for Nine to rest their 6pm bulletin just because it’s NRL Grand Final Day IMO. Besides, there have been NRL Grand Final Days over the years (2012 and 2015 instantly come to mind as recent examples) where bigger stories have overshadowed the lead-up to the game.

As a network which positions itself as being committed to news, I personally think Nine have a responsibility to take just 30 minutes out of a 12 hour or so broadcast day which is otherwise dedicated to rugby league (even though of course, there’ll naturally be some NRL Grand Final lead-up coverage during the bulletin particularly in NSW & QLD) to remind viewers of what else has been happening around their city, state, country and world that day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nine is just being complacent because they know they’ll get maximum ratings at a very low cost for starters.

You honestly can’t say that anyone would prefer Nine’s NRL coverage to that of Fox nowadays (even though I hate Fox). Compared to Fox, Nine’s coverage seems lazy and cheap.

5 Likes

I was wondering if people can stream both coverage of the Women’s Grand Final and the State Championship Final on 9Now?

Pretty sure Seven copied Ten with that RE: Grand Final day.

Only Seven use specific shows from the week packed into that day ( The Kick, Game Day, etc). Whereas Ten’s was the same studio with generic names but just rotating presenters (“AFL Day”, “Pre Game” etc.)

NB/ Ten’s 2009 GF, ONE HD’s first year, was the biggest hours/effort I’ve ever seen from a broadcaster, so much so they went into Saturday night with hours of post game / special shows exclusively to ONE HD. A shame that channel got stuffed up and they lost the rights.

5 Likes

Well, the actual coverage does start at 6.30pm (Nobody outside NSW/QLD watches the daytime stuff on Gem)

2 Likes

Yes surprising it hasn’t surfaced. Geyer and Ikin had no idea what to do.