NRL on Nine

Hasn’t every State Of Origin game over the past 38 years been played at night?

Despite the massive lead-in to the news a Sunday 4pm Origin game would deliver in Sydney & Brisbane, I personally doubt Nine would agree to hold one then.

3 Likes

No way will Nine want to move State of Origin out of prime time. They managed to get the NRL GF moved to prime time against the protests of many and Seven try every year to get the AFL moved.

I say keep it on Wednesday but if the NRL are looking for a better weekend spot, what’s wrong with Saturday night? Traditionally a lower rating night for FTA TV but the soccer did well a couple of weeks ago and a recent royal event showed that people will tune in to watch a special event. One advantage of Saturday is there is no work or school for most people the next day.

6 Likes

4pm Sunday is worth considering given it is a family friendly timeslot. During the Ultimate Footy Lunch hosted by News Corp in Sydney last week, Fox League’s Matthew Johns said (as quoted by Mediaweek)

I’d be going early Wednesday night or Sunday afternoon. With the State of Origin, you could put one game a series at four o’clock in the afternoon. I think State of Origin would go to another level.

Down to a new level more likely, I think.

1 Like

Saturday nights generally tend to be one of the lowest rating nights with a lot of people out and about at social gatherings - dinners, parties, anything really, just not at home.

I personally would like to see Origin on Saturday nights, but can understand why TV won’t like it.

My second choice would be Friday nights.

Not keen on Sunday arvo though, Origin has always been at night and the lighting etc gives it a bit more of an “event” feel, as opposed to just a game of football.

3 Likes

ROUND 16

CAMERON SMITH VS COOPER CRONK ON FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
RABBITOHS VS COWBOYS FROM CAIRNS ON SUNDAY FOOTBALL

The two men who have combined to dominate the last decade of rugby league, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk, face each other for the first time when the Sydney Roosters meet the Melbourne Storm at Adelaide Oval on Friday Night Football, LIVE on Nine.

At 7.30pm tonight the masterminds of countless Storm, Queensland Maroons and Australian Kangaroos victories will plot against one another with a mouthwatering support cast.

In Smith’s corner will be Billy Slater, Will Chambers, speedsters Josh Addo-Carr and Suliasi Vunivalu, while in Cronk’s red, white and blue corner the Roosters will have James Tedesco, Latrell Mitchell, Dylan Napa and Luke Keary.

Nine rugby league expert, Paul Vautin, said: “It’s position five versus position six on the ladder when these two teams in peak form meet. The Roosters have four wins in a row, the Storm have three, and both teams are heading in the right direction at the mid-season marker.

“There are plenty of players backing up from last Sunday’s brutal Origin match but I’m looking forward to watching the Roosters’ new cult hero, Victor Radley. This hard-running, crash-tackling backrower is a ripper. Roosters to win by four.”

On Sunday Football, the South Sydney Rabbitohs take a home fixture into the middle of Cowboy country in North Queensland where they plan to lasso Johnathan Thurston’s Cowboys in Cairns.

Nine rugby league expert, Darren Lockyer, said: “The Bunnies have a new lease on life and are flying under coach Anthony Seibold. There is a lot to like about the way they are playing, with their big and mobile forward pack featuring Sam Burgess, John Sutton, Angus Crichton and the front-row twins Tom and George Burgess laying a great platform for their creative and fast men to pile the points on.

“With Greg Inglis, Dane Gagai, Alex Johnston, Damien Cook, Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds all popping up off their damaging forward pack on what will be a dry and fast track in Cairns, I see a lot of points being scored.

“The Cowboys can win but they need a huge defensive performance and someone in their pack to bring more energy. They have one man who is capable, former Dally M Medallist Jason Taumalolo. He can inspire his team with his damaging runs before Thurston makes the Bunnies pay with his selective passing and kicking game.”

Broadcast Times

Tonight Friday, June 29
Roosters vs Storm

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday, July 1
Rabbitohs vs Cowboys

Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM

THE WEEK OF RUGBY LEAGUE ON NINE

FRIDAY, JUNE 29:

• FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL – Roosters vs Storm, LIVE from 7.30pm AEST on Nine. Cameron Smith’s Storm are preparing a hostile reunion with Cooper Cronk and his new Roosters teammates at Adelaide Oval. In commentary: Phil Gould, Paul “Fatty” Vautin, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer and host James Bracey. LIVE on the main channel for Melbourne viewers.

SATURDAY, JUNE 30:

• INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP – 1.00pm, on Nine in NSW. Newtown Jets vs Wentworthville Magpies at Henson Park. Caller Joel Caine will be joined by NRL premiership winner with the Dragons, Jamie Soward, and St George Illawarra Dragons ISP coach Mat Head.

• INTRUST SUPER CUP – 1.00pm, on Nine in Queensland. Ipswich Jets vs Easts Tigers in Ipswich. Scott Sattler will be joined by Ben Dobbin and Peter Psaltis.

SUNDAY, JULY 1:

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. This week Liz Ellis hosts an action- packed edition with fellow sporting stars and special guests: boxing legend Danny Green, swimmer James Magnussen, former Australian opening batsman Michael Slater, and leading sports opinion-makers Richard Freedman and Neil Breen providing bold and passionate debate.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, at 11.00am. Host Peter Sterling will cover all the Round 16 action so far with NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, Cronulla Sharks forward Wade Graham and former Jillaroo, Allana Ferguson.

• SUNDAY FOOTBALL – Rabbitohs vs Cowboys, Sunday, at 3.00pm LIVE on Nine from Cairns. This week: Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Wally Lewis will dissect all the on-field action when Sam Burgess and the Rabbitohs clash with Johnathan Thurston’s North Queensland Cowboys.

MONDAY, JULY 2:

• 100% FOOTY– Monday, 9.45pm, on Nine and 9Now. 100% Footy is the home of the strongest opinions in rugby league from the people who count. Phil Gould returns with Paul Gallen, alongside Jillaroos star Ruan Sims, journalist Neil Breen and host James Bracey.

** Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

PODCAST – SIX TACKLES WITH GUS

James Bracey discusses the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.

This week:
• Origin II wrap-up
• Kalyn Ponga’s amazing Origin debut and the next generation of NRL superstars
• NRL calendar rescheduling
• The future of the NRL from a strategic media viewpoint
• Women’s Origin and its development
• Building up rep fixtures
• The Bulldogs’ roster rebuild

A Friday night miracle in Melbourne: NRL on the main channel and in HD :+1:

Shame about the quality of the game :confused:

5 Likes

And back on GEM for Thursday night… if anyone wonders why Nine can’t build a decent audience for Storm games in Melbourne, this is why. No consistency.

2 Likes

I think it has something to do with Nine’s obligation to show Britain’s Got Talent in Melbourne. It obviously think BGT rates higher than the NRL.

I heard from Optus Stadium that they have confirmed the date for the State of Origin Game 2 which will be played on Sunday 23 June 2019. Due to the time difference, the kick off for the game will be in prime time.

https://optusstadium.com.au/whats-on/holden-state-of-origin/

1 Like

Due to time difference it will be around 6pm Perth time when SOO kicks off at Optus Stadium.
I wonder how many rugby league fans will fly across the country to see that game. The red eye flights from Perth that night will be popular as people rush to return to Sydney or Brisbane for work in the morning.

2 Likes

STATE OF ORIGIN III

Wednesday 7.00PM LIVE FROM SUNCORP STADIUM, BRISBANE

It’s “Billy or Bust” in the final instalment of the 2018 Holden State of Origin Series when the Queensland Maroons take on the Brydens Lawyers New South Wales Blues, LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on Nine from 7.00pm on Wednesday.

Nine’s Wide World of Sports will have special coverage from the spiritual home of Origin, “The Cauldron” of Suncorp Stadium, with tributes to Maroons legends Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.

The voice of rugby league, Ray “Rabs” Warren, will call his 90th match in his 30th year of calling State of Origin, alongside Peter Sterling, Phil Gould and Paul Vautin.

Host James Bracey will be flanked by special guests Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston when they join the panel alongside rugby league Immortals Andrew “Joey” Johns and Wally “The King” Lewis, plus Origin legends Darren Lockyer and Paul Gallen.

Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “There is so much at stake. Can the Queenslanders rally for their greatest ever fullback and now captain – Billy Slater – and send him out a winner? Or will the Blues sweep the series for the first time in 18 years?”

Available anywhere, anytime on 9Now will be five streams: the Main program, Tryline Cam, Spider Cam, QLD Player Cam following Maroons halfback Daly Cherry-Evans in his return to the Origin arena, and NSW Player Cam focusing on star Blues centre Latrell Mitchell.

Viewers can also get all the latest news on WWOS.COM.AU and up-to-date scores, tackles and live commentary with Wide World of Sports on social media: LIKE the big moments on Facebook and
Instagram, or join the chat on Twitter using #Origin.

Broadcast Times

Wednesday 11 July

Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on Nine

(Check guides).

2 Likes

Well, Game 3 has been turned on its head in the last 5 mins.

A intercept try to Turbo Tom against the run of play followed by one for Teddy right on the stroke of half time has put NSW in front for the first time in the game.

Great defence by the Blues, I think they defended on their line for 4 or 5 sets in a row at one point.

Shocking defending by Queensland. Unsurprising floggery by Maloney. And, to top it all off, Phil Gould makes me want to rip my ears off. Even Ray Warren is slipping to his level tonight.

That’s not “amazing” at all, Ray.

2 Likes

It is at his age. Same as Phil Gould, the living bee sting.

3 Likes

And there goes Nine Melbourne, leaving the game almost immediately to cross to the Footy Show. Not even a whiff of a trophy.

Still, as a Queenslander, oh well

1 Like

Queensland has come from behind to beat NSW 18-12, giving Billy Slater a perfect send off in his final game in Maroons colours, denying NSW their first series clean sweep since 2000. The crowd at Suncorp Stadium was pretty good for a dead rubber: 51,214.

1 Like

And taking Nine Adelaide and Nine Perth with it presumably.

I noticed a pause after Ray Warren said something like QLD have won 18-12 and I thought to myself “There goes the southern states to the AFL Footy Show”.

No, Nine Perth is staying with SOO post-match until 10.40pm AEST (8.40pm AWST) when AFL Footy Show starts.

2 Likes

There was a throw to a commentator (can’t remember who) and th–
THIS HAS BEEN A PRESENTATION
OF NINE’S WIDE
WORLD OF SPORTS

1 Like