NRL coverage

Did I hear right that Triple M and 2GB are swapping Sunday games? I remember reading it somewhere. Big blow for the M’s as I’d say the Sunday 4pm is the plum game for radio.

1 Like

Secured exclusive rights for the 4PM game probably to align with their TV game it appears.

3 Likes

AFR reporting today that Kia have signed a deal worth $10m for sponsorship of Thursday night matches. Follows a global record year in sales/ market share for the automotive company. Brokered by the company’s chief Damien Meredith, regularly seen at the final of the Australian Open - they’ve been principal partner of the Grand Slam for 20 years. Both sports also air on Nine.

3 Likes

The partnership will provide an opportunity for SENZ to connect directly with the One New Zealand Warriors’ passionate fanbase. This includes a significant presence at all Warriors home games with in-venue LED signage, hospitality and match day activation opportunities to increase fan engagement and awareness.

Additionally, SENZ will cover the One New Zealand Warriors from all angles across its various media platforms including 28 national radio frequencies headlined by presenters Brendan McCullum, Tony Kemp, Israel Dagg, Ian Smith, Stephen Donald, Kirstie Stanway, Grant Elliott and Stephen McIvor. This includes match day coverage for every home and away game broadcast via Warriors Live on SENZ platforms.

This extensive coverage will also feature on the SENZ app and digital platforms, connecting the One New Zealand Warriors to a wide audience.

1 Like

Interesting to sign up to a 0.1 % rating station with no other brands in the stable to leverage off. Guessing they may have lost some of the radio support they had after 3 years away, perhaps.

3 Likes

They were sponsored by Flava beforehand.

Saturday’s Harvey Norman All Stars men’s match (Maori v Indigenous) from Rotorua will be broadcast live on ABC Local Radio, Triple M and SEN in Sydney and Brisbane, as well as SENZ across most of New Zealand.

ABC Local Radio in Sydney and Brisbane will also cover the women’s match.

2 Likes

It looks like the NRL Nation brand might be gone. Nrlnation.com.au now redirects to an SEN League page on SEN’s website.

7 Likes

Depends on whether they are running simulcasts/syndication anymore I guess?

1 Like

Yeah, it’d sound silly referring it to as SEN League on BOG stations.

2 Likes

Andrew Moore, Matthew Elliott and injured Roosters star Connor Watson calling today’s All Stars match off the tube, in the boardroom of the ABC HQ in Sydney.

(Watson is sitting in his wheelchair in this photo)

2 Likes

SEN using the SENZ call team
Triple M calling of the tube

3 Likes

MMM have usually been open about the times they’ve called off tube and why they’ve done it, although sending a team to Rotorua for what’s in effect a glorified trial is understandable (I was going to say something about ease of air travel but Sydney-Rotorua via Auckland could be done in reasonable time).

2 Likes

It’s pretty hard when most of them are based in Sydney plus the team in Brisbabe and sport isn’t their #1 priority.
I think most of us can’t expect them to go to the grounds regularly at all.

1 Like

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, Nine’s Allana Ferguson is joining 2GB’s Continuous Team this season, covering Saturday afternoon matches. 2GB will also have former Blues Origin stars Boyd Cordner and Josh Morris plus Manly’s assistant coach Shane Flanagan as regular contributors.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/media-buzz-phil-rothfield-looks-at-the-latest-television-radio-and-print-news-in-sport/news-story/22141a703ed0f12fd44d8ffa86634bca

2 Likes

2GB/4BC schedule for Round 1 is up on the Nine Radio Syndication website

Friday
8pm Panthers V Broncos
David Morrow, Mark Riddell, Josh Morris
Host: Mark Levy

Saturday
5:30pm Cowboys V Raiders
Mat Thompson, Darryl Brohman, Paul Gallen

7:30pm Sharks V Rabbitohs
Chris Warren, Jamie Soward, Shane Flanagan
Host: Chris Warren

Sunday
4pm Dolphins V Roosters
David Morrow, Darryl Brohman, Mark Riddell

The third listed commentator on each game is being listed as “sideline” but I’d be very surprised if the two non-Sydney games are called on location.

2 Likes

Great to see the schedule up. I do find it a bit BS that they get all the top rating time slots. I wonder how Triple M will schedule their flagship Sunday show around a 2PM Sunday afternoon game.

1 Like

Probably start at 12PM unless they in the early rounds given they’ll likely cover the Sunday Night game start later about the same time as the other kickoff.

2 Likes

The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis will be working for both ABC and SEN this season. Carayannis was most recently on ABC Grandstand last Sunday, chatting with Ben Cameron about the collective bargaining agreement between the NRL and players.

2 Likes