Nova Network

Actually, no.

Nova was consistently being beaten by 2Day and Fox and Vega was a disaster.

They were in the mid-6s , they weren’t even close to being in the 8s or 9s back then in 2006-07, for overall share.

1 Like

Nova96.9 hasn’t been a strong performer since the then Today Network put K&J at brekky.

When K&J were at Drive on 2Day, that’s when Nova96.9 was number one (from memory).

1 Like

I would recommend Triple M 2000s. Seems to play every 3 hours or so.

6 Likes

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:
Even in Survey 5 2007, Nova were still competitive with 2Day, especially in breakfast.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110407174954/http://www.commercialradio.com.au/files/uploaded/file/Survey_2007/SydneySurvey5-2007.pdf

2 Likes

9 News Queensland reporting that the home of Nova 106.9 Breakfast Team member Susie O’Neill, was targeted early this morning by thieves trying to break and enter. Not much detail but it appears someone within the home disturbed the intruders before they fled, with Police asking the public for information.

2 Likes

Nova has updated their website.
https://novafm.com.au/

2 Likes

Looks good. It had been rubbish for so long.

2 Likes

So too has smooth.

Much less clutter.

… Although I am unsure about their tagline “Your Favourite Hit Music Station”. Maybe this needs to be tweaked? …

4 Likes

a bit of a harsh contrast

3 Likes

It’s a good website, as is Smooths. I didn’t see anything on Novas website referring it as “your favourite hit music station”.

2 Likes

mentioning Hit rather than Hits feels right for Nova
A single hit, surrounded by throwbacks

7 Likes

Speaking of which… they played “Sweet but Psycho” by Ava Max on both days of the weekend. Does Nova not get sick of it? It’s nearly five years old.

And no surprise to hear “It Wasn’t Me” by Shaggy too.

Also on Sunday, sometime between 11:30am-12:00pm they played “good 4 u” by Olivia Rodrigo despite her new song (which they have also played regularly) recently being released.

3 Likes

I hardly listen to Nova these days. I flick between stations but managed to hear Nova playing that three times last week when I was driving around. This is why the Nova playlist is :poop:

I had been saying for months that they needed to play Calm Down by Rema and Selena Gomez. After 6 months on the chart and it hit top 3 in the UK and US, they finally did. I’ve noticed that Nova and KIIS have added it on high rotation so now you’re hearing it every couple of hours. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I know I say this all the time, but unless Nova changes its music direction or bothers to search for newer/fresher music by looking to more overseas sources, it will lose even more listeners. I, for one, would like to see them drop the “throwbacks” from their slogan/playlist, that IMO belongs to 2DAY FM which tends to play even older music.

As I am typing this, the digital station Nova Throwbacks is playing “It’s My Life” by Bon Jovi.

3 Likes

It says, “Favourite Hit Music Station” in the tagline (see title of homepage), as well as scrolling text for the Now Playing section.

I wonder if we’ll see this reflected on air from tomorrow when all shows return?

2 Likes

From my experience listening to Nova 91.9 in Adelaide while on holidays in 2021-22, the music they played (though I know the Nova playlist is networked around the country) was mostly reflective of what was trending and popular at the time, as well as emerging artists. To be honest, I miss the music of two years ago…

2 Likes

A return to pure CHR would definitely re-energise the Nova brand.

4 Likes

For sure. They only need to look at what Capital FM in London is playing and play that sort of music regularly - for example Maisie Peters, who not a lot of music fans in Australia knew before her supporting act for Ed Sheeran on his Mathematics Tour earlier this year.

Even if their music doesn’t chart well in their native countries, it could catch on here - who knows?

3 Likes

I heard thieves broke into Nova’s studios over the weekend, police are searching for a 128mb thumb drive containing Nova’s entire music playlist.

10 Likes

*Correction: It was a floppy disc.

3 Likes