Nova Network

3 Likes

What they really need, is a new music director. As has been well-documented here, the music they’ve been playing has been quite repetitive and tiring, and they rarely play any new music that may have been released immediately (Becky Hill’s “Side Effects” being one notable exception).

5 Likes

I reckon Smooth do as well. Definitey not what they used to be either! They used to play easy listening from the 60s right up to present day when they first started. Now there’s few if any newer songs, less older songs too. They seem to just play an extremely narrow band of mid-80s to mid-90s. It’s repetitive and boring. What’s going on at Nova?

8 Likes

Quite surprised by this. I didn’t think she would want to keep working there after being dumped by Nova as on-air talent.

3 Likes

I thought going by the rumours that she was originally offered a programming role when she was axed from the Fitzy & Wippa show, but did not accept?

Maybe this role is a holding position, until Kate’s contract is up, and then she can rejoin the F&W show?

There is so much wrong with Nova, music recycled competitions. The station is completely unlistenable, cut and paste music and competitions.

Compared to KIIS there is just no energy, at Nova, even the listeners they put to air sound bored. KIIS listeners that go to air are completely over the top.

7 Likes

The music playlist is the worst thing about Nova. I rarely tune in now but whenever I do I switch within one or teo songs.

I’m still listening to the podcasts and it’s very telling that the hosts are continually taking shots at the music being played on Nova. It’s almost constant.

5 Likes

I don’t listen to Nova at all now.
The station is complete rubbish.

If the hosts are shit talking the music, that does not put much confidence in the product for the listeners.

Kyle gives Nova shit quite a bit and their lack of ratings.

2 Likes

Nova has no point of difference.

3 Likes

These days, you could say…

3 Likes

I’m off the Nova topic, but the UK is still suffering at Eurovision becomes of BREXIT. The decision to leave the EU is still fresh in the minds of many Europeans.

2 Likes

That didn’t stop Britain coming second last year at Eurovision and hosting the show this year. If Ukraine hadn’t received the sympathy votes, Britain probably would have won last year.

This year’s song was rubbish and it’s no wonder radio in Australia doesn’t play it. In fact, radio in Australia rarely plays any Eurovision. They act like they are too good for it.

2 Likes

I agree with all of that, except I quite like the UK song this year, but the live performance was bad. As you say, last year the UK song basically won.

4 Likes

Rosa Linn says otherwise.

I did say “rarely” not “never”. That’s one in 67 years of Eurovision. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the history of Eurovision I’m sure Abba, Bucks Fizz, Brotherhood of Man, Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard, Domenico Modugno and a few other famous pop songs were played on radio back in the day. But generally, Australian radio doesn’t play them.

A lot of Eurovision music does make the charts in the UK and Europe and is played on radio.

4 Likes

Rosso was back at Nova this morning spruiking his new TV series on the ABC. He was reminiscing with Kate Ritchie about when she joined Merrick and Rosso back in 2008/09 and they talked about how different breakfast radio was then compared to her joining Fitzy and Wippa now.

Kate said there was stuff they did then that they just can’t do any more. They talked how they did a segment called “Moll Patrol” where they drove around looking for where the best molls in Sydney lived. Every day they drove to places like The Shire, Campbelltown, Wollongong etc. Kate: Hey! Wave to molls out the window. :joy:

Rosso also said that he thought coming back to Nova might be triggering however, after he left Nova he had a job at ARN and that is a lot more triggering for him. :laughing: Rosso was hilarious. I think Nova made a big mistake when they ousted him all those years ago.

4 Likes

The way Nova is these days, Rosso wouldn’t be out of place at the station (e.g. The Chrissie Swan Show).

5 Likes

Weird that Nova are running the same comp… 2 different names… 2 different shows:

1 Like

As much as i’d have loved for M&R to continue, the partnership was showing signs of fraying quite quickly in the lead-up to the end.

3 Likes

Have been listening to Nova podcasts this afternoon. Their adverts are so repetitive and annoying. Weird that they are currently playing a promo for the Smooth Breakfast show during Nova podcasts. Looks like Smooth gets priority even though Nova is the one struggling.

5 Likes

Maybe the Nova Breakfast show will be no more at the end of this year?

Ben & Liam ratings are average at best in Melbourne maybe they might move them to Sydney. The Fitzy & Wippa show is now very stale and past it’s used by date. They need to try something different if they want to claw back the listeners they have lost to KIIS.

Maybe when 2day starts beating Nova at Breakfast and in total share they will blow up Nova 969 and try something different. Then again they will probably just skew older, and give KIIS an even bigger share.

2 Likes