Nova Network

I think there in lies the problem, as you’ve just listed, that’s 10 radio stations with better playlists, more than half of which are DAB / online stations.

Nova, the flagship brand, is weaker on the music front - and that’s why people are so frustrated.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed today they’ve updated there app (not before time) and the music seems to have improved a bit.

They just played Tom Grennan which I doubt many stations are and the throwbacks are slightly more varied. Who knows if this is a one off.

2 Likes

Listened for the first time in ages to Nova 106.9 today.
Slogan similar to B105, and the music was not good. Katy Perry and Taylor Swift!
The station sounded pre-recorded as they never mention the time at all.
Also, the show was clearly not local as they never mentioned the frequency or Brisbane.
I thought an announcer needed to sound relateable to the audience, but this sounded so generic and corporate, although professional.
At the top of the hour I counted 6 minutes of ads before another ad for 7-11 sponsoring their traffic and weather, then another 7-11 ad (same one) read out after the weather.
Maybe the new marketing needs to be ‘Never more than 2 songs in a row’.

8 Likes

This has been a real problem on the major networks in recent years. And it’s not like they don’t have great & unique talent, they just don’t let them actually present. A few 10 second breaks an hour spruiking the breakfast show is about as far as you’ll hear any presenter go (apart from breakfast/drive/nights)

4 Likes

The jock doesn’t need to say it. The jock doesn’t need to say anything. Nova: the empty void of nothingness.

Personality is where it’s at - be what spotify can’t, not just a worse clone.

5 Likes

Welcome to weekend radio.

2 Likes

Here ya go guys. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Ed Sheeran a throw back?

1 Like

A very safe and horrible playlist!!!
Why would anyone bother to listen to Nova Throwbacks when you can get this everyday on repeat on the main Nova stations???

There are plenty of stations on dab+ doing exactly that, with very similar playlists, it is completely over saturated.

If you are going to do Throwbacks properly check out BBC Radio 1 Anthems, or Kisstory on Kiss UK

How about Nova ditch the old crap on dab+ and bring back Novanation!!!

7 Likes

Just like how they replaced Koffee with Smooth Relax on DAB - getting rid of a point of difference and going for more of the same.

They’re not far away from just simulcasting on multiple stations…

4 Likes

Nova is fast becoming stale.

3 Likes

It has been stale for a few years now.

8 Likes

They do themselves no favours on their website by profiling the Throwback stream as the top priority and making it harder to find the Nova 96.9 live stream. Do they want to send more listeners away from the main station?

2 Likes

Yes, they should have kept Koffee/Smooth Chill as well as Smooth Relax in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Smooth Relax has a much larger audience than Koffee/Smooth Chill did and is more closely aligned to the original Smooth FM format when it launched in 2012. Smooth FM is targeted younger these days and Smooth Relax targets an older demographic. They are both good (and successful) stations.

3 Likes

Kisstory is one of the best stations for Dance and R&B. I stream this station quite often if I am not listening to Aussie radio.

3 Likes

The observation of Nova being stale has itself become stale.

10 Likes

This week Nova has started $10,000 every day in May give away. Tim Blackwell made an interesting observation yesterday that every winner has been female and this morning Fitzy also made a comment about that. He then said something about noticing a few males registering. Sounds like they’ve “only just realised” that they’ve chased all their male listeners away with all their changes.

3 Likes

Just when you think things couldn’t get any worse. Nova just played a Nova remix of Head & Heart by Joel Corry & MNEK. They replaced the lyrics in the chorus with “Turn Up The Feelgood” and they sing “Nova, Nova, Nova” over and over again. :face_vomiting:

Tim Blackwell back announced it and said “That was cool!” but couldn’t keep a straight face and Kate & Joel were laughing at him.

7 Likes

KIIS do exactly the same in their remix of Head & Heart. Theirs starts with you know KIIS is #1. It is such a self absorbing wankfest at both Nova and Kiis.

5 Likes

Agree. I’ve heard those before. But this was so much worse. It’s bad enough they play remixes to keep songs on the playlist for two years but this promo-type remix is the worst.

3 Likes