Nova Network

Also on HD mode it streams at 192kbps, sound quality is far superior to anything locally broadcast on fm.

1 Like

Do you listen to it via this link? Capital FM London, listen live

or elsewhere?

I must admit I do like the variety of music that Capital FM plays, including artists and/or songs that are rarely ever played in Australia. Now if only any radio station could take on the music format that it does, I’d be happy.

3 Likes

Na, I listen via the official app.

2 Likes

I only listen through the Global Player, but it is also available through other apps such as Receiver. The other apps seem to only support the lower quality 48kbps streams, that is why I stick to Global Player.

4 Likes

And while we are off topic before we return this back on topic to talking about Nova.

Here are the most recent UK RAJAR’s their radio ratings survey, (London only) for anyone that is interested……

Capital fm was 3rd in London with a 3.5 Share.
Top London station was LBC with a 7.7 Share.
Magic 3.8 second.
KISS 100 only rated a 1.8 share which is the closest commercial competitor to Capital.

6 Likes

Any chance you’ve got a link to the full London ratings, including the BBC stations? I always find it hard to get an actual list showing both the commercial and BBC stations. I’d be curious to see how the older stations like Magic, Smooth, Heart, and GHR are rating, alongside BBC R1 and R2.

2 Likes

Just saw a Nova 96.9 ad outside a 7-Eleven - I’m in Melbourne

6 Likes

The ad/info screen at my gym in Perth would regularly show ads for The Chrissie Swan show live now on Nova 91.9 Adelaide.

The timings were right too, because it would show up around 1:00pm. A Nathan, Nat and Shaun ad would pop up a few minutes later as well

2 Likes

Not the first time either - saw a Chrissie Swan show billboard on the Monash with Nova 96.9 branding earlier this year.

3 Likes

digital billboards?

2 Likes

The one I’m referring to wasn’t (from memory, anyway):

1 Like

I like the Nova shows but here in Sydney at least they play the same damn 15-20 songs everyday. No variety at all, I end up switching over to KIIS or 2Day until the song which I’m sick to death of has finished.

Is it the same in other markets? I know SCA did have a bad habit of this back in the day… not sure about it now.

3 Likes

Not only that, sometimes when they play a particular song by an up-and-coming artist or one that’s relatively fresh, they never play it again.

As an example, Maisie Peters’ (an English singer who is signed to Ed Sheeran’s label) music almost never gets played - it’s like after she leaves the country, they stop playing her music.

On the flip side they continue to play music by much older artists such as Pink and Taylor Swift, and global superstars such as Sam Smith and Bebe Rexha. Nothing against them personally but whoever Nova’s music director is, should consider revamping the format.

3 Likes

Triple M Perth is wayyy more experimental with their playlist than Nova has been since their Sydney launch.

The Nova brand is more vanilla than ever before (excl. their ridiculous brief Greatest Hits era. Let’s not even talk about that again).

5 Likes

I agree, if you want to listen to new talent nowadays it’s Triple J I feel.

2 Likes

I was in the backyard most of Saturday and for a change had Nova on all day. It’s almost unlistenable for longer than about an hour at a time, was wondering if they were taking the piss at one point as the playlist is on such high repetition it made my ears bleed.

Looking at the lava logs, on Saturday they played that Cavlin Harris tune Miracle no less than ten times, Ed Sheerhan got played 26 times, and that cover of Fast Car got played nine times. Whoever does the programming on that station has the easiest job in the world as its mostly just copy and paste.

11 Likes

They really need to open up their options as to what music is available to them, also check out what’s trending and charting worldwide, especially in the UK and USA.

One song I would request them play is “I Wrote a Song” by Mae Muller. Like Rosa Linn last year, Muller featured in this year’s Eurovision but I think she placed second-last or something in the final.

5 Likes

I’m assuming this is why select Northern Hemisphere stations are available on Lava (as well as plenty from NZ). They can mine community radio as well.

This has been going on since the dawn of ratings-driven radio of course: there’s plenty of stuff that could and should get played but doesn’t. More power to community radio.

2 Likes

That is why there ratings are shit house in any market that is slightly competitive.

Their programmers are one trick ponies, same music policy, shit ratings, same recycled contests, Shit ratings.
Nova was the once cool and adventurous, now just bland and repetitive.

7 Likes

Yeah I really like that song. She didn’t do well in Eurovision with it, but I think it was mainly because she’s not actually very good live. The recorded version sounds 100 times better than the performance unfortunately. In any case, it’s good song and Nova should be playing it. It charted very well in UK and gets a lot of airplay there, even on BBC R2!

4 Likes