NITV - Programs and Schedules

Renowned artist Tony Albert meets some of Australia’s most exciting contemporary Indigenous artists in NITV’s Colour Theory

Four-part series returns Sundays from 12 June, 9pm on NITV (Ch 34 & Foxtel 144)

Colour Theory returns to NITV with award-winning host Tony Albert exploring the worlds of some of the country’s most exciting contemporary artists. Delving into the personal journeys of Julie and Clive Freeman, Karla Dickens, Frances Belle Parker and Jason Wing, the new series paints our screens with vibrant stories of history, culture and pride that unearth techniques to preserve cultural traditions through contemporary visual storytelling.

Tony Albert, Host, says: “Being featured as one of the first artists in Colour Theory only four years ago, I never imagined I would be hosting this third iteration. It is an honour and a privilege. This new series showcases the diverse cultural expression of Australia, where through art, we can come to understand the world we live in.

“The stories, passion and talent of the artists featured is incredibly inspiring - despite their differences in geography, medium, artistic training and conceptual concerns, they are all united by a sense of pride and belief in their culture.”

Julie and Clive Freeman
Episode One, Sunday 12 June, 9pm

Karla Dickens
Episode Two, Sunday 19 June, 9pm

Frances Belle Parker
Episode Three, Sunday 26 June, 9pm

Jason Wing
Episode Four, Sunday 3 July, 9pm

NITV Celebrates Achievement across July and August

Across July and August, NITV celebrates achievement with multiplatform coverage of several key events, including the NAIDOC Gala Awards, National Indigenous Music Awards, Barunga Festival and the Telstra Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Awards.

Starting from today with NAIDOC Week, NITV will head to the Northern Territory to be at the heart of all the action – showcasing excellence and success stories across the full spectrum of Indigenous culture and community. NITV Online’s Daily Blog keeps audiences up to date with what’s happening around the country and NITV News is on the Road in the Top End, reporting live from the heart of communities.

Tanya Denning-Orman, NITV Channel Manager, said: “This season is an opportunity for all Australians to celebrate Indigenous achievement and recognise the contributions that First Nations peoples make to our country and society. With multiplatform coverage across TV and Online, we look forward to bringing all the action from the Northern Territory to national audiences.”

Full Program Schedule

NITV News
Monday 4 – Friday 8 July, 7.20pm
NITV News is on the Road in the Top End bringing audiences all the news across NAIDOC Week.

Dark Science
Wednesday 6 July, 8pm
In collaboration with Screen Territory, micro-documentary series Dark Science, produced by emerging Indigenous filmmakers, highlights the practice of Northern Territory-based Indigenous scientists, working across environment, astronomy, physics, technology, meteorology and engineering.

NAIDOC Gala Awards
Friday 8 July
NITV Online, 7pm and on TV, 8.30pm
NITV’s multiplatform coverage of NAIDOC 2016 kicks off online, following all the winners’ action live through a range of multimedia content, including winners’ speeches, photos and intimate short documentaries on their individual stories. From 8.30pm on TV, NITV News comes live from the Awards with a Gala special with interviews and backstage action. On Sunday 16 July, NITV will broadcast a full two-hour highlights programme featuring the best of the Awards, including both the opening ceremony and closing ceremonies.

Barunga Festival
Saturday 9 July, 6.30pm
NITV brings audiences the best of this year’s Barunga Festival all in one night - featuring coverage of sporting events, music and traditional arts and culture.

Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award
Friday 6 August
NITV News and NITV Online bring audiences all the news from the 2016 Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Awards, which recognise the important contribution made by Indigenous artists from regional and urban areas throughout Australia, working in both traditional and contemporary media. Featuring coverage of the awards and artist interviews, the event is an important showcase for both established and emerging artists and has come to be regarded as one of the premier national events in the Australian Indigenous art calendar.

Wave Hill Walk 50th Anniversary
Thursday 17, Friday 18 and Monday 22 August
NITV News and Current Affairs comes live from Wave Hill as the community marks 50 years since Vincent Lingiari, a Gurindji spokesman, led a walk-off of 200 Aboriginal stockmen, house servants, and their families as a protest against the work and pay conditions. NITV News and The Point are on the road live from Wave Hill to speak to the local community and Elders about the anniversary and its significance.

National Indigenous Music Awards
Saturday 20 August, 9.30pm
NITV is at the heart of the National Indigenous Music Awards in Darwin, to showcase the rich musical landscape of Australia and highlight the best in Indigenous music from across the country. Capturing all the action and interviews from backstage, there is also full concert coverage featuring both established and emerging artists - AB Original, Kahl Wallis, Emma Donovan, rising star Stanley “Gawurra” Gaykamangu and emerging artists Rayella, Chris Tamwoy and David Spry are all confirmed to perform at the awards this year.

Yothu Yindi Foundation announces NITV as Official Media Partner of GARMA 2016

The Yothu Yindi Foundation and NITV are pleased to announce the national Indigenous broadcaster as the official media partner of Garma 2016.

From Friday 29 July – Monday 1 August, NITV will be at the heart of Australia’s leading Indigenous cultural exchange event, bringing audiences comprehensive multi-platform coverage that facilitates quality debate around education, health, economic development and Indigenous rights.

Denise Bowden, Chief Executive Officer, Yothu Yindi Foundation, said: “Garma is a wonderful celebration of Yolngu cultural traditions that stretch back tens of thousands of years, and a chance to reflect on the key issues confronting Indigenous Australians. We’re excited that NITV will be taking the Garma experience to a national audience.”

Tanya Denning-Orman, Channel Manager, NITV, said: “We are immensely proud to be partnering with the Yothu Yindi Foundation to comprehensively cover Garma 2016, bringing national audiences coverage of key policy debates and issues. The discourse surrounding First Nations peoples is more significant now than ever before and NITV is uniquely placed to share and contribute to the conversation from a distinctive Indigenous perspective.”

Live content across the weekend will feature forum discussions, Awaken specials and NITV News on the Road, alongside in-depth online coverage and social commentary. Full coverage details will be announced in the coming weeks.

Viewers can keep up to date with all the news via the NITV Website and join in the conversation on Facebook and Twitter using nitv

Garma 2016 will take place from Friday 29 July - Monday 1 August at Gulkula, a significant Yolngu ceremonial site on the Gove Peninsula in northeast Arnhem Land, Northern Territory. To mark the 40th anniversary of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act, the theme for Garma 2016 is: Wanga Ngaraka Ga Bundurr - ‘The Land Is Our Backbone’.

SBS launches My Grandmother’s Lingo – a new interactive animation exploring the endangered Indigenous language of Marra

SBS today launches a new online interactive animation My Grandmother’s Lingo which tells the personal story of Angelina Joshua, a young Aboriginal woman dedicated to preserving her endangered Indigenous language.

Drawing on the expertise of SBS Online and NITV, the innovative documentary features voice-activated gaming technology and unique animations to unlock the chapters in Angelina’s story, and simultaneously raises awareness of Australia’s Indigenous languages – specifically Marra, a language now spoken by only three people in the remote East Arnhem Land community of Ngukurr where Angelina lives.

Ben Naparstek, SBS Head of Editorial Online & Emerging Platforms, said: “SBS is dedicated to telling unique stories in innovative ways and My Grandmother’s Lingo is a great example of this – combining interactive storytelling with digital technology to encourage further understanding of Indigenous languages amongst all Australians.”

Tanya Denning-Orman, NITV Channel Manager, added: “Digital technology is playing a vital role in the survival and revival of Indigenous languages, empowering communities to share their remarkable stories of preservation, whilst capturing languages for future generations.”

More than 90 per cent of Australia’s Indigenous languages are critically endangered, and it’s predicted that without intervention, Indigenous language knowledge will cease to exist in the next 10 to 30 years.

Centred around her work at the Ngukurr Language Centre and empowered by her family, Angelina is now fighting to learn and preserve Marra for future generations and spread the knowledge of the language across Australia.

Angelina said: “My grandmother’s language is important, and it’s up to us to keep it alive; to teach it. My grandmother was a very fluent Marra speaker. But a couple of years ago she passed. It was hard losing her – I thought, ‘Where am I going to learn now?’ This old lady taught us everything in Marra.

“I started working at the Language Centre, and it’s become my responsibility to learn Marra and teach Marra. My hope for the future is that people in the community will be able to speak their own languages.”

Joining Angelina in creating My Grandmother’s Lingo are two other young Indigenous talents: animator and illustrator Jake Duczynski (Gamilaroi) and DJ and musician Kuren (Curtis Kennedy, Wiradjuri).

To complement the interactive animation, SBS Learn has produced a schools education pack encouraging teachers and students to engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages. Aimed at years 7+, the pack features engaging classroom activities linked to the Media Arts curriculum and the newly released Framework for Aboriginal Languages and Torres Strait Islander Languages. The resource is available online at http://www.sbs.com.au/learn/mygrandmotherslingo.

The online interactive experience can be accessed here: My Grandmother’s Lingo | SBS

For more information on My Grandmother’s Lingo, visit the Program Page here: http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/mygrandmotherslingo

NITV launches online global current affairs series to mark the coming together of the World’s Indigenous broadcasters

National Indigenous Television (NITV) has today launched a new five-part global current affairs series online, Nations without Borders, featuring in-depth feature stories from Indigenous Broadcasters from around the World.

The digital launch coincides with the week the World Indigenous Television Broadcasters Network (WITBN) meet in Sydney for its biennial four-day conference, also hosted by NITV.

Fronted by NITV journalist and presenter Natalie Ahmat, Nations Without Borders features stories from WITBN members NITV, M?ori Television in New Zealand, ‘?iwi TV in Hawai’i, the Aboriginal People’s Television Network (APTN) in Canada and Taiwan Indigenous Television (TITV).

The series includes stories of a Canadian Cree woman in incarceration, to the Amis people of Eastern Taiwan fighting a battle against commercial and government property developers, and Maori tribes findings solutions to widespread homelessness.

WITBN already runs a successful news exchange program through a private online platform, where members share content on a daily basis.

NITV Channel Manager and WITBN Chair Tanya Denning-Orman said launching the series during the WITBN conference was the perfect opportunity to showcase what the Network is about.

“Nations without Borders brings audiences important investigative pieces on Indigenous issues as well as stories that celebrate and honour our cultures,” she said.

“The content exchange programs are invaluable to the network and vital in promoting Indigenous stories at an international level.”

Nations Without Borders will be broadcast on NITV from Monday 5 December at 9pm. The series will also be distributed to the WITBN members to screen in their respective countries.

The next meeting of the World Indigenous Broadcasters will be held in New Zealand, hosted by Maori Television in 2018.

NATIONS WITHOUT BORDERS EPISODES

Episode one – Quest for justice
Canada’s Indigenous TV network APTN unravels the story of Cree woman Connie Oakes, who was jailed for a crime she claims she didn’t commit. More shocking than the murder itself, is lack the of evidence against Connie Oakes which APTN journalist Jorge Barrera uncovered - as he followed the trail of this Indigenous woman’s quest for justice.

Episode two – Malama Honua
In ancient times, Polynesians navigated back and forth across the Pacific Ocean on voyages of discovery and trade. Following a renaissance of this traditional art – the Hawaiians are circumnavigating the world in their double hulled canoe, known as a Hokule’a. Hawai’i’s Indigenous broadcaster ‘Oiwi is following their global mission – to spread a message about the need to care for the earth. This epic voyage has connected them to Indigenous nations around the world and given them an audience at the United Nations.

Episode three – The lost territories
The Indigenous nations of Taiwan have long suffered from colonial intrusion into their lives and a consequent undermining of language and culture. But now the Amis people of Eastern Taiwan are fighting a battle against commercial and government property developers. A coastal construction spree has left Indigenous communities dispossessed of land and bereft of hope for justice. Taiwan’s Indigenous broadcaster TITV documents the struggle of the Amis to defend their traditional way of life.

Episode four – Kimberley healing
A huge gap exists between the health of Australia’s Indigenous nations and its non-Indigenous population. Australia’s Indigenous TV channel, NITV, investigates the case for having more Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander doctors, to lift the state of health within their communities.

Episode five - Homeless
Aotearoa (New Zealand) is facing a housing crisis. Families are sleeping rough as affordable accommodation slips out of reach. The government has promised funding support for social and emergency housing. Maori Television explores how tribes have stepped up to provide traditional solutions to mitigate this modern problem.

For more information visit the NITV website

###Grace Beside Me

NITV commissions first-ever scripted live-action children’s series GRACE BESIDE ME. A rich and humorous coming-of-age story.

NITV today announced its first ever commission of a scripted live-action series, Grace Beside Me. With major production investment from Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department, Screen Queensland, the ABC and assistance from Screen NSW, Grace Beside Me is the story of an extraordinary girl trying to lead an ordinary life.

In an Australian first, the series consisting of 13 x 26 minute episodes will be screened on three subsequent networks. Grace Beside Me will premiere on NITV, followed by a secondary broadcast on the ABC, and a third release on subscription TV channel Disney Australia.

Adapted from the award winning novel by Sue McPherson, Grace Beside Me follows Fuzzy Mac, whose life is turned upside down when, at the age of 13, she discovers she can see ghosts and spirits. But all she wants is to fit in and have fun with her mates. It’s hard enough navigating the highs and lows of becoming a teenager while living with your eccentric Nan and Pop, without also having to deal with needy ghosts, mischievous totems and cantankerous Ancestors.

Combining whimsy, adventure, comedy and drama, Grace Beside Me takes 8 – 12 year old audiences on a roller coaster adventure as Fuzzy reluctantly learns to accept her gift and understand its importance. With one foot in the Indigenous realm of culture, Country – and spirits – and the other firmly planted in the world of a 21st century teenager, Fuzzy Mac’s journey is to realise she belongs to both in her own unique way. She must learn to be herself and to walk in two worlds.

Tanya Orman, Channel Manager, NITV said: “This is another hugely exciting step for NITV and testament to the beauty and depth of our story telling. Our goal is to create award-winning children’s content that speaks to a new generation, and this is truly unique story telling from the world’s oldest story tellers for Australian children. The story of Fuzzy Mac is told with warmth, humour and pathos by the best of our Indigenous screenwriters.”
Penny Smallacombe, Head of Indigenous at Screen Australia said: “Reaching young audiences with Indigenous and culturally diverse content is an incredibly important focus for Screen Australia. We are proud to be supporting Grace Beside Me which is helmed by an all-female producing team, including Aboriginal producer Dena Curtis, and are confident that with three Australian broadcasts this unique story will resonate with audiences around the country.”

”We are so proud to support Grace Beside Me and have Queensland play a key role,” said Screen Queensland CEO, Tracey Vieira. “Queensland is home to some of Australia’s most talented creatives in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander screen community including Queensland-based writer Sue McPherson and producer/director Dena Curtis. Our support of Grace Beside Me follows on from the recent launch of our SQ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy 2016-19 that outlines our commitment to local Indigenous practitioners and ensuring they are an important focus in SQ’s funding decisions. Grace Beside Me presents opportunities to our local practitioners that allows us to grow a stronger and richer industry base with long-lasting economic and cultural significance for all Australians.”

Michael Carrington, ABC’s Head of Children’s and Education said, “I’m thrilled that we are building strong ties with NITV talent and offering a much-deserved additional platform for Indigenous talent both on and off screen. Children’s audiences across Australia are bound to enjoy Grace Beside Me, a smart funny drama series made specifically for them”.
Grace Beside Me is produced by Lois Randall (The Gods of Wheat Street, Nan and a Whole Lot of Trouble) and Dena Curtis (8 MMM Aboriginal Radio, Nan and a Whole Lot of Trouble ) with direction by Beck Cole (Black Comedy, Redfern Now,The Warriors) and Adrian Russell Wills (Wentworth, Redfern Now, The Warriors). Writers include Danielle MacLean (Little J and Big Cuz, Double Trouble, Blown Away), Jon Bell (The Gods of Wheat Street, Cleverman), Sue McPherson (Grace Beside Me, Nan and a Whole Lot of Trouble), Briar Grace-Smith (Being Eve, Kaitangata Twitch), Adrian Russell Wills (Redfern Now, Ready for This), Tristan Savage (Gubbament Man, Un-Australian) and Erica Glynn (Little J and Big Cuz).

Grace Beside Me is a Magpie Pictures production, developed with the assistance of NITV, the Australian Children’s Television Foundation, Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department, Screen QLD, the ABC and Screen NSW. The series is currently in pre-production and will commence filming in early 2017.

1 Like

Good news. Interesting that a show will run on SBS’s NITV and then on the ABC.

Here’s some more info about Grace Beside Me.

###Always Will Be Festival

NITV presents the Always Will Be Festival on 26 January

On 26 January 2017, NITV presents the Always Will Be Festival – an array of programming and events that encourage a national discussion on what it means to be Australian today.

For many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, the 26th of January is not a day of celebration.

Through thought-provoking documentaries, films, news and current affairs, an original song and virtual reality experience, a podcast, public events and more, NITV invites all Australians to hear and interact with Indigenous perspectives on this national holiday.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said:

“The 26th of January is a day of mixed emotions for many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. As Australia’s Indigenous broadcaster, NITV plays a vital role in providing a place for Indigenous voices to be heard on issues that matter to communities, and where all Australians can learn more about the rich cultures of our First Nations people.

“Through the Always Will Be Festival, NITV is exploring Indigenous perspectives on what this national day means for many, acknowledging our history and our survival, and encouraging more Australians to understand that Australia always was and always will be Aboriginal land.”

Here’s what to expect from NITV on and in the lead up to 26 January:

##Television
Sunrise Ceremony
Brought to you live from North Head in Sydney, Ernie Dingo takes Australians on an emotional journey that expresses Australia’s First Peoples’ resilience and connection to Country and one another.

The live program kicks off at 5.30am with Dr Dennis Foley simulcast on NITV and SBS, and will include a musical performance and a smoking ceremony as the sun rises on 26 January.

Anthem Sessions
In the weeks leading up to 26 January, some of Australia’s most beloved Indigenous artists have performed pop-up concerts at famous landmarks across the country, playing songs of great significance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The songs have already had thousands of likes, comments and shares on NITV’s Facebook page. Artists include Christine Anu, Dan Sultan, Shane Howard, Last Kinnection, Bunna Lawrie, Bart Willoughby, Archie Roach, Joe Geia, Troy and Dean Brady, Rochelle Pitt Watson, and Rrwaun Maymurru and band.

NITV will air the individual recorded performances throughout 26 January, and broadcast an Anthems Sessions hour long special at 8.00pm AEST. See Christine Anu performing My Island Home, Archie Roach bringing an audience to tears singing Down City Streets, and Dan Sultan premiering his new song Drover’s Boy exclusively on NITV.
News, documentaries and films

NITV News will bring live hourly updates from around the country throughout the afternoon, keeping you up-to-date with the day’s activities.

NITV will also air a range of provocative films and documentaries that explore Indigenous identity, including its celebrated Songlines series, and critically acclaimed films such as Ivan Sen’s Beneath Clouds. For a full list of programming, please visit sbs.com.au/nitv/always-will-be closer to the date.

###ONLINE
Change the Date song and 360 VR experience
Some of Australia’s best hip hop artists have come together for NITV’s Always Will Be Festival thanks to Elefant Traks and Bad Apples to produce an original song (‘Change the Date’), and an accompanying 360 degree VR experience (produced by Start VR).

It was not until 1994 that Australia Day began to be celebrated on 26 January, and for many Indigenous Australians this date marks a Day of Mourning with some asking, why not change the date? In an immersive 360 world, these iconic artists share their views on why Australia should come to grips with changing the date of Australia Day.

Artists include: Urthboy (The Herd), Thundamentals (Tuka and Jeswon), L-Fresh the Lion, Ozi Batla, Nooky, Birdz (Nathan Bird), Kaylah Truth, Tas, Coda Conduct (Erica and Sally) and Hau (Koolism).

The song and VR experience will be available online on Tuesday 24 January through the SBS VR app and on NITV’s Facebook and You Tube pages.
The SBS VR app is free to download for Apple iOS and Google Android. Information on what it is and how it works (with Google Cardboard) is here: sbs.com.au/topics/vr/virtual-reality

Podcast
Join Miss Ellanious, Ernie Dingo, Amelia Telford, Lydia Miller and other high profile Indigenous guests live from 2pm to 6pm on 26 January as they have hearty, live conversations about national identity. Tune into the podcast at 2pm AEST, available through sbs.com.au/nitv/.

###COMEDY EVENT

Indigenous drag queen Miss Ellanious will take to Sydney Harbour on a speedboat emblazoned in the colours of the Aboriginal flag, Priscilla-style. All the glitter and hilarity will be captured on NITV’s Facebook Live stream.

###Over the Black Dot

From Wednesday 12 April at 9.30pm

NITV premiers it’s highly anticipated new league show, Over the Black Dot, on Wednesday 12 April at 9.30pm. The program has an all-Indigenous line-up, including the host, sports journalist Djuro Sen, rugby league analysts, Indigenous All-Star George Rose and premiership winning rugby league great Owen Craigie, field reporter, multiple sports star Tanisha Stanton.

Named for the perfect shot between the posts, Over the Black Dot will celebrate all tiers of league with expert analysis on the week in review, game highlights and what to expect from upcoming rounds.

The analytical rugby league program will also feature Tanisha interviewing high-profile players, officials and coaches outside the studio, and a light-hearted segment called Rolling with Rose, where George will catch up with players while dropping them at training.

Over the Black Dot’s line-up will be joined weekly by some of the best players and identities in the game as panel guests, with the series championing Indigenous achievement.

Channel Manager for NITV, Tanya Orman said “NITV has a strong history in covering rugby league, from remote ‘Island of Origin’ in the Torres Strait to the massive Koori Knockouts. With so many Indigenous players in the NRL we can guarantee our new show will deliver exactly what our audiences have asked for in league analysis and discussion.”

Head of Sport for NITV, Mark Ella said, “Rugby league plays an important role in Indigenous communities and we are excited to again have a program on NITV which focuses on all levels of the game, for a country who loves the sport.”

1 Like

##nitv honours National Reconciliation Week 2017 with special programming line-up

NITV will be honouring National Reconciliation Week 2017 with an extensive programming line-up and a broad scope of national on air coverage. This year also marks the 50th year anniversary of the 1967 Referendum on 27 May, and the 25th anniversary of the Mabo decision on 3 June; both significant milestones will be highlighted in NITV’s week of specialised programming.

Reconciliation Week is marked annually from 27 May – 3 June and acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and community. The week initiates an effort to break down the barriers between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, aiming to build positive and respectful relationships.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said “As we reach milestone anniversaries this year the channel delivers an extra special slate of content that acknowledges the achievements of our reconciliation journey, how far we have come as well as highlight the challenges still ahead of us as a nation.”

2017’s theme for National Reconciliation Week is ‘Let’s take the next steps’.

Leading up to and during Reconciliation Week NITV has curated a selection of programming reflecting on the themes of forgiveness and unity.

News & Current Affairs:

The Point presenter, Natalie Ahmat and NITV News will be in Central Australia from the 22-26 May to bring viewers coverage from the Referendum Council Gathering in Mutitjulu. Coverage will be aired nightly on NITV News Monday - Friday at 7.20pm and The Point at 9pm Monday - Thursday.

On Friday 26 May, The Point Special will include coverage of the closing ceremony and outcomes of the Referendum Council Gathering.

The Point will be live from Townsville on Friday 2 June with a cross to Torres Strait Islands ahead of nationwide Mabo Day celebrations.

Premiering on NITV:

From the Western Frontier - Premiering
Season 3, Episode 1, Monday 22 May 7.30pm

Back for its third season, From the Western Frontier features the work of emerging Indigenous Western Australian writers and directors. This third instalment examines the legacy of the Stolen Generations policies through the eyes of young Aboriginal women.

In this episode, prominent Nyungar artist Sandra Hill helps her granddaughter Meeka find her cultural identity.

Young and Black - Premiering
Wednesday 24 May, 8.30pm

Presenter, Laura Murphy-Oates speaks to four prominent Australians as they unpack the uncomfortable truths of being an Indigenous millennial. Laura asks personal and taboo questions about identity, racism, sex and everything in between.

From talking kissing cousins and stereotypes with comedian Nakkiah Lui, to life as an aspiring Liberal politician, and a sister’s struggle to save her brother from the hell of Don Dale.

50 years after the birth of the reconciliation movement, this generation of Indigenous youth were supposed to inherit a very different Australia – but what has changed, and what’s still the same?

Carry the Flag - Premiering
Monday 29 May, 8.30pm

Commissioned by NITV this powerful documentary tracks the creation of the Torres Strait flag and the significant story stitched into a few pieces of coloured fabric. The design of Bernard Namok Snr created meaning for a nation of people once invisible to the mainland of Australia.

29th May 2017 is the 25th anniversary of the day that the flag was officially presented to the people of the Torres Strait. It is a father/son story. Bernard is our guide, pride mixes with sadness at the loss of his father but the rise of the Torres Strait Island flag.

Special Program Highlights:

The Apology
Friday 26 May, 7.00pm

Since its inception in 1901, through to the 1960s, successive parliaments, through their legislation and administration, participated in the forced removal of children from their mothers, creating what has commonly become known as the Stolen Generations.

Many of the Stolen Generations are alive today, many of those children are still trying to reunite with their families, and many still bear the scars of lives forever torn from their language, their traditions and their stories. All agreed that a time had come for healing: a healing and reconciliation born of an apology, acceptance and forgiveness.

The Apology captures the anticipation on a thousand faces as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd delivers the apology, and then the spontaneous outpouring of emotion all around the country.

Vote Yes for Aborigines
Saturday 27 May, 6.30pm

Vote Yes for Aborigines presents documents the political milestone that overturned Australian constitutional law to allow Aboriginal people to be counted as Australian citizens in their own country.

Covering over 100 years leading up to the referendum, director and Indigenous Yorta Yorta woman Frances Peters-Little revisits those involved with the 1967 Referendum and the social attitudes and influences that led to the event.

More than just marking a time in history, Vote Yes for Aborigines interrogates the success of the Referendum and addresses current debates about what is meant by Australian citizenship and values and how they relate, if at all, to Aboriginal history, identity and culture

Beyond Sorry
Saturday 27 May, 7.30pm

As a young girl, Aggie Abbott hid and watched as her cousin Zita Wallace was stolen from their traditional Aboriginal community while Aggie herself was not. They were both ‘half-caste’ kids.

Aggie and Zita were separated for over fifty years. Zita Wallace, now 64, has decided to reconstruct her identity, her life and her history. With Aggie as her guide, Zita is learning everything she needs to know about being a traditional Aboriginal woman.

David Vadiveloo’s moving documentary reveals the complex pressures that come to bear when an urban Aboriginal woman tries to return to the family she was taken from as a child. It is an intimate story of cultural conflict, remarkable courage and generosity, of the ties that bind us to our kin, and of two women from the same land trying hard to reconcile two very different worlds

Mabo: Life of an Island Man
Sunday 28 May, 8.30pm

A man ahead of his time, Eddie Koiki Mabo, left an indelible legacy to the people of Australia, reshaping the landscape and opening up possibilities that many never dreamed of. Mabo: Life of An Island Man is the AFI Award winning film about the gently spoken public and private man and his inspirational triumph of justice in one of the most important developments in Australian history.

Born on Murray Island in the Torres Strait, Eddie Mabo tragically lived most of his life in exile. It was not until June 3 1992, six months after his death, that the entire island community welcomed him home, after the High Court of Australia upheld his claim that Murray Islanders held “native title” to three islands within the region - successfully challenging the notion of terra nullius, which asserted that Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders did not have a system of legal ownership predating white settlement.

Both controversial and captivating, filmmaker Trevor Graham delves deep into the life of a devoted and passionate family man, investigating the dynamic person who would challenge the Australian socio-political climate and fight for change every step of the way, forever ensuring his place on Murray Island and in Australian history.

After Mabo
Sunday 4 June, 8.30pm

After Mabo was filmed during 1996 and 1997 and provides the most relevant ‘snapshot’ from that period of the land justice issue as it unravelled over an eighteen month period. The film dispels many of the myths about native title and exposes the real political and economic agenda behind John Howard’s ‘Ten Point Plan’. After Mabo takes viewers behind the doors as Indigenous representatives attempt to fight the amendments in the media, in the bush and in the halls of Parliament House, Canberra.

Included in the film is respected Indigenous figures including Noel Pearson, Peter Yu, Pat Dodson and filmmaker Richard Frankland, speaking first-hand about land justice and the threat that the proposed Howard Amendments had to their land and their rights.

1 Like

###Zach’s Ceremony

Sunday 2 July at 8.30pm

NITV premieres its award winning and internationally acclaimed documentary film Zach’s Ceremony on Sunday 2 July at 8.30pm to celebrate the start of NAIDOC Week.

The film tells the coming of age story of Indigenous teenager, Zach Doomadgee, as he searches for connection to his ancient culture in the modern world. As Zach transitions from boyhood to manhood, he is faced with the complicated matters of family, culture and belonging.

Produced by Zach’s father, Aboriginal activist, Alec Doomadgee, the film was conceptualised over a decade ago when Zach began questioning his identity, his culture and his heritage. It had been a lifelong dream for Alec to create this film which shows Aboriginal culture is alive in the modern day and portrays its beauty on an international stage.

Zach’s Ceremony won the Audience Award for Best Documentary at Sydney Film Festival 2016, the Best Documentary (Audience Award) at the Melbourne Film Festival 2016 and the Best Film Award and Best Documentary Award at the Byron Bay Film Festival 2016. The film was also officially selected for the Cinefest Oz 2016, Tasmanian Breath of Fresh Air Film Festival 2016, Margaret Mead Film Festival 2016, Darwin International Film Festival 2016 and Hot Docs Festival 2016.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said, “We are excited to air the world television premiere of Zach’s Ceremony to celebrate the start of NAIDOC Week, and continually aim to bring the highest quality of content to our audience. This award winning documentary film will resonate on a personal level with young viewers and their parents, due to its honest portrayal of a father and sons relationship complicated by matters of identity, culture and obligation.”

Zach’s Ceremony was funded by NITV, Screen Australia, Screen NSW and Wangala films.

Zach’s Ceremony will air on NITV on Sunday 2 July at 8.30pm and will be available after broadcast on SBS On Demand

###You Are Here

NITV invites Australians to find their bearings through four compelling documentary films

NITV invites Australians to find their bearings with You Are Here, a series of powerful documentaries premiering from Sunday 23 July at 8.30pm on NITV and SBS.

Presented by Miranda Tapsell, You Are Here explores the place of Indigenous people in Australia today. Included in the series are Warwick Thornton’s We Don’t Need a Map, Erica Glynn’s In My Own Words, Tyson Mowarin’s Connection to Country and Trisha Morton-Thomas’ Occupation Native, which all capture moments in time that have the power to shape our history. From national issues, to personal battles and triumphs, each story inspires a sense of place and allows viewers to discover new perspectives on the Australian spirit through Indigenous storytelling.

Commissioned under NITV and Screen Australia’s Moment in History initiative, with funding support from Screen West, Create NSW and Screen Territory, these documentaries will inform discussion and inspire change, reminding audiences why these topics matter to all Australians.

NITV Channel Manager Tanya Orman said: “At the core of NITV is Indigenous storytelling and investment in creative excellence. You Are Here encapsulates the reason NITV exists, to create stories by, for and about Indigenous Australians, and through us these stories are for all Australians.”

Head of Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department, Penny Smallacombe said: “The Moment in History initiative has brought together Australia’s leading Indigenous filmmakers who have created an ambitious series of landmark documentaries. Several of these outstanding films were showcased at Sydney Film Festival receiving an overwhelmingly positive response and we’re thrilled that audiences from around the country can now view the whole series on NITV and SBS.”

###We Don’t Need a Map
Sunday 23 July at 8.30pm on NITV and SBS

We Don’t Need a Map is a feature length documentary about Australia’s complex relationship to the Southern Cross. It is the most famous constellation in the southern hemisphere and ever since colonisation it’s been claimed, appropriated and hotly-contested for ownership by a radical range of Australian groups. But for Aboriginal people the meaning of this heavenly body is deeply spiritual, and just about completely unknown. Warwick Thornton, one of Australia’s leading film-makers, tackles this fiery subject head on in a bold, provocative and poetic essay-film. Produced by Barefoot Films.

###In My Own Words
Sunday 30 July at 8.30pm on NITV and SBS

In My Own Words follows the journey of Aboriginal students and their teachers as they discover the transformative power of reading and writing for the first time. The documentary focusses on a classroom in Brewarrina, a rural northwest NSW town with a majority Aboriginal population. Research reveals that 45-65% of Aboriginal adults are functionally illiterate. Filming every day of the 13-week Literacy for Life Foundation course, Erica Glynn captures the women and men, the poverty and hardship, behind the sobering statistic. Produced by Blackfella Films.

###Connection to Country
Sunday 6 August at 8.30pm on NITV and 9.30pm on SBS

Connection to Country follows the Indigenous people of the Western Australian Pilbara’s battle to preserve Australia’s 50,000-year-old cultural heritage from the ravages of a booming mining industry. The Pilbara region sits in the Burrup Peninsula (or Murujuga) and is host to the largest concentration of rock art in the world, dating back over 50,000 years. It’s a dramatic and ancient landscape so sacred that some parts shouldn’t be looked upon at all, except by Traditional Owners. Tyson Mowarin shows the waves of industrialisation and development that threaten sites all over the region, and how he and the people of the Pilbara are fighting back by documenting the rock art, recording sacred sites and battling to get their unique cultural heritage recognised, recorded and celebrated. Produced by Weerianna Street Media.

###Occupation Native
Sunday 13 August at 8.30pm on NITV and 9.30pm on SBS

Filmmaker Trisha Morton-Thomas dishes up a fresh look at our colonial past. Exploring everything they never taught you at school but should have. It’s Australian history, but not like you have you ever seen or heard before. Trisha decides it’s time to go looking for answers, and along with actor Steven Oliver and several historians the film is a satirical recount of our untold history. Produced by Brindle Films.
Across the network, each documentary in the You Are Here series will anchor the theme and agenda for the week, leading debate and discussion and ensuring Indigenous views remain front and center. NITV’s news and current affairs program, The Point will feature interviews with each filmmaker at the special time of 10pm following broadcast of their documentary. NITV online will support these themes with a range of long-reads, profiles, Q&As with filmmakers and a VR component.

SBS Learn is partnering with Reconciliation Australia’s Narragunnawali: Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning program, to develop freely accessible and engaging classroom resources for the You Are Here series. Exploring the key themes presented by the films, these resources will contain short clips, curriculum-linked activities and guidance on how to meaningfully use these documentaries in the classroom.

You Are Here airs over four weeks on Sunday 23 July and Sunday 30 July –simultaneously at 8.30pm on NITV and SBS, and on Sunday 6 August and Sunday 13 August at 8.30pm on NITV and 9.30pm on SBS. You Are Here will also be available after broadcast, anytime, on your favourite steaming device via SBS On Demand.

###10 years of National Indigenous Television

National Indigenous Television (NITV) celebrates 10 years of broadcasting today, marking a decade since the television service, first appeared on screens on 13 July 2007 with its thought-provoking content produced by Indigenous Australians.

Following today’s milestone, NITV will kick off its 10 year celebrations by showcasing four landmark documentary films commissioned as part of its series, You Are Here starting 23 July. Directed by four celebrated Indigenous filmmakers, the films allow viewers to discover new perspectives on the Australian spirit through Indigenous storytelling and signal the first of a number of NITV commissions that will feature over its tenth year, spanning documentary, entertainment and drama.

NITV was originally formed after more than 25 years of campaigning by Indigenous Australians for their right to have their unique stories, languages, culture and aspirations accurately reflected within the media landscape.

A recommendation from the Royal Commission after Aboriginal deaths in custody, found that Indigenous people needed to see themselves reflected on screen in a positive light. Prior to NITV forming, there were barely two hours a week of dedicated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander content being broadcast on national television. Now, a decade on, NITV is continuing to improve the lives of Indigenous people by giving them control of their image, stories and history, as well as preserving and celebrating Aboriginal languages and cultures.

The channel from the bush has gone where other haven’t, broadcasting from the most remote locations from around the country and covering the stories that matter to Indigenous people. Initially only carried by cable and satellite providers, along with some limited over-the-air transmissions in certain remote areas, NITV became free to air on 12 December 2012 when it joined the SBS Network. The switch on was celebrated by a concert at Uluru called, From the Heart of Our Nation. The move to SBS has provided significant growth for the channel, with it currently reaching over two million Australians monthly.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said: “I am extremely proud that NITV is celebrating its milestone tenth anniversary. What we have achieved in the last decade is monumental for Indigenous Australians and we are continually entering ground breaking territory as we step into the next decade.

“The channel’s staff and content have received many accolades over the years including Logie nominees, Walkley nominees, a UNAA Peace Award and MIMA Awards. Most recently we opened the Sydney Film Festival with a documentary from our You Are Here series. We Don’t Need a Map was the opening night film, and Connection to Country and In My Own Words also featured in the festival. Our audience’s favourite program, Marngrook Footy Show and our beloved annual broadcast of The Koori Knockout also turn 10 this year, and a decade on we are employing more Indigenous staff than ever before, currently sitting at 74%.”

Over the 10 years, NITV’s commitment to News and Current Affairs has evolved from a rip and read, five minute news service to a flagship half hour current affairs program, The Point, with additional programming Awaken and Living Black.

NITV’s commissioned documentary film, Servant or Slave received the single biggest ratings a one off program has ever received in NITV’s history. The channel has since commissioned Australia’s first Indigenous animation series, Little J & Big Cuz, Indigenous immersive family documentary series Family Rules and is this year commissioning an Indigenous children’s drama series, Grace Beside Me. The channel has also commissioned in-language content, most recently Songlines on Screen in 2016 and Little J & Big Cuz aired in six different Aboriginal languages during NAIDOC Week 2017.

Along with the You Are Here series which kicks off from 23 July 8.30pm, 10th year celebrations will continue throughout the year on NITV with a range of on-air specials, a short documentary film produced by the channel looking back at the last 10 years and a special broadcasting event.

1 Like

###Grace Beside Me

Grace Beside Me (working title), a new 13-part children’s television series which will premiere on NITV in 2018, has begun filming in the Scenic Rim in Queensland.

Adapted from the award-winning novel by Sue McPherson, Grace Beside Me is the charming story of Indigenous teenager Fuzzy Mac, who just wants to be an ordinary teenager and have fun with her mates. But that’s not so easy when your Ancestors have other plans and you keep seeing ghosts!

With one foot in the Indigenous realm of culture, Country - and spirits! - and the other firmly planted in the world of a 21st century teenager, Fuzzy Mac’s journey is to realise she belongs to both in her own unique way.

Starring as Fuzzy Mac is Kyliric Masella. Her co-stars include Mairehau Grace and Tjiirdm McGuire as her best buddies Tui and Yar, and Tessa Rose and Charles Passi as her Nan and Pop.

Lead broadcaster NITV has co-commissioned the series with ABC’s children’s channel ABC ME. Screen Australia is a major investor in the series, with Screen Queensland, ABC and Cutting Edge. Disney Channel has licensed the series in Australian and New Zealand, whilst the rest of world distribution is with Canada’s 9Story Media Group. The Australian Children’s Television Foundation, Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department and Screen NSW also supported early development in the series.

Producers for the series are Lois Randall (Gods of Wheat Street) and Dena Curtis (8MMM Aboriginal Radio, Shadow Trackers), NITV executive producer is Mary-Ellen Mullane, ABC TV executive producer is Libbie Doherty, and directors are Lynn-Maree Danzey (A Place to Call Home, Love Child), Beck Cole (Here I Am, Black Comedy) and up and comer Nicholas Verso, whose first feature Boys In The Trees, was selected for the Venice Film Festival.

NITV’s Channel Manager, Tanya Orman, said: “We are delighted to introduce Fuzzy Mac to Australia’s Indigenous children, as well as all children around the country. Grace Beside Me is a remarkable achievement for NITV, its funding partners and the Indigenous production community, notably, the exceptional team at Magpie Pictures. This is a very special opportunity and we look forward to adding a new dimension to this Australian Indigenous children’s story.”

Producers Lois Randall and Dena Curtis said: “We are so thrilled to have begun filming with our diverse and exceptionally talented cast, and to see the adaptation of Sue McPherson’s beautiful book coming to life on the screen.”

ABC Television Head of Children’s, Michael Carrington, said: “We’re excited to see this exceptional story being brought to life by Lois and Dena and their incredibly talented team at Magpie Pictures. Our ABC ME audience will be able to relate to the trials and tribulations Fuzzy faces as a teen while also exploring some aspects of Indigenous culture".
Screen Australia’s Head of Production, Sally Caplan said: “Grace Beside Me is a funny, uplifting coming-of-age story, with a wonderful script from some of Australia’s most talented Indigenous screenwriters. We can’t wait to see this unique live-action children’s series brought to our screens by the accomplished all-female producing team at Magpie Pictures.”

Screen Queensland CEO Tracey Vieira said Grace Beside Me was developed with investment from Screen Queensland as part its commitment to supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander talent and strengthening the local industry.

“Sue McPherson is an award-winning Queensland-based writer and it is encouraging to see her profile grow as part of this new series to be filmed in Queensland,” Ms Vieira said.

Grace Beside Me will have its world premiere on NITV in January 2018, with the ABC ME broadcast set for mid-2018.

Family Rules

Australia’s favourite girl gang is back, with NITV’s Family Rules returning for its second season

NITV is proud to announce that documentary series Family Rules will return for a second season in 2018, with filming commencing this October.

In season two the lives of mother, Daniella and the younger and middle Rule sisters, Hannah, Jessica, Aleisha, Sharna, Kelly and Kiara are the focus, while elder sister Shenika is the foil to their endless exploits.

Family Rules is developed by Metamorflix and Karla Hart Enterprises, with support from NITV, Screen Australia, Screenwest and Lotterywest. The series is Directed and Co-Executive Produced by Karla Hart and Executive Produced by Renee Kennedy.

NITV’s Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said: “We are so excited to welcome Family Rules back to NITV and to catch up on the sister’s lives as they navigate their way through adolescence and adulthood. The program showcases contemporary Indigenous family life and lets our audience feel part of the family through this personal observational documentary series.”

Senior Manager of Documentary at Screen Australia Liz Stevens, said: “Season one of Family Rules provided insight to an incredibly strong family unit with no less than nine ambitious, passionate and highly relatable young Indigenous women who challenged stereotypes and charmed audiences. We are delighted to see the return of this all-female creative led team, and support NITV for another season as they continue to expand their content offering with this contemporary documentary series.”

Chief Executive of Screenwest, Ian Booth said: “A second season of Family Rules will not only continue to bring an entertaining and inspiring Western Australian story of strong, independent Indigenous women to a national audience, but also continue to provide value professional experience to our screen industry practitioners.

“A returnable series allows a creative team to grow from strength to strength and I congratulate Karla Hart, Metamorflix and all involved in the production.”

Family Rules will feature six half hour episodes and will air on NITV in late 2018

Three NITV documentaries selected to screen at the 2017 Melbourne International Film Festival

NITV is proud to announce three of its new documentaries have been invited to screen at the 2017 Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF).

MIFF, the largest film festival in the Southern Hemisphere, kicked off on Thursday 3 August and will run until Sunday 20 August.

NITV’s offering this year includes MIFF Premiere Fund-Supported documentaries Westwind: Djalu’s Legacy and The Song Keepers, and immersive VR expansion project The Hunt of Yidaki.

Westwind: Djalu’s Legacy is directed by Ben Strunin and commissioned by NITV, with funding support from Screen Australia and in association with Film Victoria, Screen Territory, MIFF Premiere Fund, Jonnie & Kate Films and Madman Production Company. The documentary tells the story of Djalu Gurruwiwi, an aging elder who is running out of time to pass on the Yidaki Songlines entrusted to him for the future of his people. He fears that his sons and community, struggling to come to terms with the consequences of colonisation, are lost. When Djalu breaks with his 60,000 year long tradition to try and save it, world famous musician Gotye becomes an unexpected assistant, helping to heal Djalu’s sons and amplify his songs to the world.

The Hunt of Yidaki, directed by NITV Producer Ben Smith, is an immersive VR expansion project and a companion piece to Westwind: Djalu’s Legacy. The project follows Yolngu man Larry Gurruwiwi, and the selection, creation and performance of the ancient instrument known to Yolngu as the Yidaki, also commonly known as the didgeridoo.

The Song Keepers is directed by Naina Sen and commissioned by NITV, with funding support from Screen Australia and in association with Film Victoria, Screen Territory, MIFF Premiere Fund, Brindle Films and Indigo Productions. The documentary tells the story of the Central Australian Aboriginal Women’s Choir as they preserve ancient Aboriginal language, sacred poetry and baroque music. With the help of their charismatic conductor, the choir embarks on a historic journey taking the hymns that were given to their great grandparents by German missionaries, now sung in their own Aboriginal languages, back to Germany. Together they share their music and stories of cultural survival, identity and cross-cultural collaboration.

NITV calls for emerging Indigenous film-makers to apply for Spirit Initiative 2017

NITV is calling for up and coming Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander film-makers to apply for the fifth annual Spirit Initiative.

Formerly known as the Spirit Award, the Initiative includes a professional development opportunity with NITV in addition to the opportunity to make a short documentary as part of NITV’s Our Stories.

The winner will be flown to Sydney for a three week work experience placement where they will be mentored and trained by NITV’s experienced staff from a range of departments.

They will then be commissioned to produce a 15-minute Our Stories documentary in language and a news story from their local community.

The winner will also be flown to Melbourne with NITV’s Commissions team to attend the Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC) in March 2018.

NITV’s Channel Manager Tanya Orman said: “We’re excited to be able to offer this wonderful opportunity to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander film-maker and for them to really develop their skills and experience how a national broadcaster works.

“We look forward to receiving the submissions from content creators and film-makers across Australia.”

Daniel Featherstone, General Manager of the Indigenous Remote Communications Association (IRCA) said: “The Spirit Initiative is a great career development opportunity, with the NITV team supporting an aspiring remote film-maker to bring their story to life and reach a national audience.”

Applicants are required to submit a three minute ‘sizzle reel’ – a snapshot showcase of their work – and a pitch for their 15 minute documentary.

Applications close Friday 1 September 2017, with the winner to be announced at the 19th National Remote Indigenous Media Festival in Irrunytju, Western Australia from 25-30 September 2017.

For more information and to apply online visit the NITV website, and join in the conversation on Facebook and Twitter using nitv.

You Are Here: Indigenous storytelling continues across the network with SBS’ new interactive documentary, K’gari

One island, two histories

As NITV’s landmark documentary film slate You Are Here comes to a close, Indigenous storytelling continues across the network with SBS’s new interactive documentary, K’gari which launches today.

K’gari is produced by SBS’s Walkley Award winning team, and the team behind the voice-activated documentary game, My Grandmother’s Lingo. K’gari is told by internationally-acclaimed artist Fiona Foley with academic Larissa Behrendt and features Miranda Otto in the role of Eliza Fraser.

K’gari tells the story of one of the first alleged ‘fake news’ stories to be circulated across Australia, the ‘capture’ of British woman Eliza Fraser by Aboriginal people on Fraser Island (K’gari) in 1836. Eliza was a passenger on her husband Captain James Fraser’s ship, the Stirling Castle, which struck reef hundreds of kilometers north of Fraser Island. She claims to have been captured by Aboriginal people when in fact she was taken in and cared for by the Butchulla people when shipwrecked.

The story of Eliza Fraser’s ‘capture’ has been reinterpreted by many Australian writers and artists; however an Indigenous version of the story remains largely unheard. The counterpoints to Eliza’s version reveal a complex example of cross-cultural miscommunication and conflict.

SBS’ online documentary reclaims the story of Eliza Fraser’s arrival on K’gari from Fiona Foley’s perspective as a Butchulla woman of the Wondunna clan. The story reveals Fiona’s family’s version of events and explores the contemporary ramifications of the ‘capture’ myth in a rich interactive documentary featuring immersive animation by Indigenous illustrator Tori-Jay Mordey.

Through the interactive documentary, the user will witness the clashing versions of events from Fiona and Eliza’s perspectives and will be required to unleash the natural forces of the island of K’gari, including lightening, ocean and sand, to eliminate Eliza’s words and progress the story.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said: “NITV is dedicated to providing its community with a voice and this interactive documentary, K’gari shares an important Indigenous perspective on this historic news story.”

To complement the online interactive, SBS Learn has teamed up with Reconciliation Australia’s Narragunnawali: Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning program, to develop freely accessible and engaging classroom resources linked to the curriculum, as part of its broader You Are Here educational resources. The resource is available on SBS Learn.

Colour Theory

From Tuesday 3 October at 8pm

Indigenous street artists and discover urban graffiti

A new season of Colour Theory returns to NITV on Tuesday 3 October at 8pm with four new episodes exploring urban graffiti and how the world’s biggest and fastest art movement is providing an artistic outlet for a new generation of Indigenous Australians.

In season four, Colour Theory: Underground, acclaimed contemporary artist and host Tony Albert, travels across Australia, from Adelaide to Melbourne, to the Gold Coast and Brisbane, to meet with four Indigenous graffiti artists and explore how country and culture inspire their contemporary art, documenting their creative processes from inception through to production and exhibition.

With each half hour episode, Albert introduces us to a new artist: Narisha ‘Nish’ Cash, Libby Harward, Kingsley “Budda” Hampton and Warraba Weatherall. Each artist shares their story, their creative journey and artistic influences, revealing some of the universal challenges faced by Aboriginal youth today, including deaths in custody and substance abuse. Ultimately, we see how each artist – and their distinctive style – confronts and overcomes adversity through their art.

NITV Channel Manager, Tanya Orman said: “NITV is proud to present the fourth season of Colour Theory and is excited to introduce talented up and coming Indigenous artists from around Australia to our community. This series not only showcases amazing, contemporary, Indigenous artwork but presents content that is fresh, edgy and innovative.”

Colour Theory: Underground director Dena Curtis said: “Colour Theory provides an insight into the evolution of Aboriginal art and cultural expression, and in this series, we uncover the similarities between traditional Aboriginal art practise and graffiti.
“Graffiti offers a platform for these artists to celebrate their culture, language and stories in a public forum and in a place that can’t be ignored.”

Colour Theory: Underground is an NITV and No Coincidence Media production, directed by Dena Curtis, produced by Mitchell Stanley and curated by Hetti Perkins, developed with the assistance of Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department and Create NSW.

Colour Theory: Underground will air weekly from Tuesday 3 October at 8pm and will be available after broadcast, anytime, on your favourite streaming device via SBS On Demand.