Nine (WIN)

I hope not as that would appear to show complete contempt for viewers; hopefully it was driving down a price in the negotiation rather than conceding earlier, but I don’t know what Nine wanted before the blackout versus what they finally got.

Unfortunately this also adds to the perception of not caring about viewers.
It has been long enough that 9Life should’ve been back by now, but these joint ventures seem to present a conflict of interest (supporting primary affliates’ channels versus extra work required to support all the JV’s additional channels).
It would be nice if a separate company could take over such JVs instead, but I don’t see it as being likely anytime soon.

I presume this would be a main, if not, the main factor at the time

To be fair in the WIN only markets (SA and Griffith / MIA) WIN were doing this before June 30 and after July 1 - supporting the primary affiliate first. Carrying WIN, WINHD, GEM, GO, LIFE, Gold and Extra previously and now carrying WIN, WINHD, ONE, ELEVEN, TVSN and Gold

Its more the fact that 9LIFE was in these areas previously and now isn’t. From what I can tell, there hasn’t been as much demand for 7FLIX because it has never been shown in these regions

I think dropping 9LIFE was also a money thing

Anyway… here’s my new years present to MS readers. Via 9 News Adelaide, December 28 2016. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That makes sense; it’s always worse taking something away (especially as Ten has a fewer channels than Nine), not only would licensing cost more but also the effort to broadcast the additional channels (sell & replace ads in the breaks), but all this still shows the problem for viewers in areas without 3 separate commercial TV companies/affiliates.

Back when WIN owned Nine in Adelaide and did local news in SA, they accidentally let through the first minute of WIN News on Nine a couple of times. There is a recording on YouTube of it happening.

It’s not very often that you have a regional programme accidentally played on a metropolitan network.

1 Like

I was in Orange today and noticed WIN orange covered up the 9 dots on the exterior of their building, but still left the old yellow WIN font, and still had “the best hour of news” sign up. Inconsistencies much!
But it is WIN, and I don’t know why I bother bringing up these things anymore

7 Likes

A quick search on Google Maps gives you a good look of the building before the coverup of the Nine dots, and “The Best Hour Of News In The Country” banner on the left side:

Surprised WIN Orange living the past, still with the 1990s yellow WIN Television logo on the building up until recently!

5 Likes

Pretty funny story, I was doing work experience at TCN about 12 months after the dotless rebrand. If you’re unfamiliar with the studio building in Willoughby, there’s a large glass window above the lobby entrance which had (has?) a decal of the Nine Network logo on it.

To save costs after the rebrand, Nine simply removed the dots from the window rather than ordering a new decal, leaving nine very obvious sticky circular films where the dots used to be. I noticed this in the glass elevator at the front of the building which was in full view of the “new” logo on my way up to the executive floor and cracked a joke to my chaperone, who quietly chided me afterwards for saying something about the bodge job while an executive was in earshot in the elevator with us!

7 Likes

The wasteland of the old Kingston studio in Canberra.

The new office at Fyshwick.

5 Likes

Shame that WIN News signs looks exactly like the coverups they used to use during 9 News.

10 Likes

WIN Tasmania currently has the previous win logo not horrid permanent map. I’m thinking its a mistake but hope this stays this way (Not likely knowing Bruce Gordon’s history of win logos!)

4 Likes

and just as i post that, its back :confused:

I think my Ten programming may now be sourced online, so take that Bruce Gordon!

3 Likes

And in Tas back to this logo. Probably not meant to be though.

3 Likes

They dont know what is going on at Win… and mappy is back

5 Likes

Teasing Tassie viewers it seems.

1 Like

Yep I think so! Seems pretty solid now

I don’t know what affect solid mappy has had on ratings overall, but I can say that since it’s appeared my family has gone from occasionally watching WIN, to not watching it at all.

3 Likes

Yep getting use to it, but sometimes I think that is just terrible and cant watch…

It definitely has had that same huge negative impact on me; I used to watch the Project sometimes & some BBL, but now… I can’t just can’t stand that huge offensive thing so even if the best thing on TV is on Ten (or even the only thing I want to watch) I’d rather turn off the TV entirely than watch WIN.

1 Like

It will probably fall on deaf ears but it wouldnt hurt to let Win know via their complaints page http://www.wintv.com.au/complaints

I did so today, and basically said I won’t watch WIN because of it.

2 Likes

Because no other presentation elements have changed to the map logo and the smaller watermark is still popping up frequently in the playout, it seems to me the map could just be a temporary marketing addition whilst there are a lot of eyes on WIN for the BBL.