Nine (WIN)

That doesn’t make sense unless you are saying @camo is a Nine operative.

WIN has nothing to gain promoting Nine’s position on the bargaining table.

1 Like

of course, it doesn’t make sense what @Moe and @Affable are saying. I think people need to understand and not dismiss the idea that some people in here have sources that are in media itself. and clearly, @camo who has a source at a win or knows someone who is tivy to it. don’t dismiss this notion by any means. even I have heard that bruce isn’t happy with 10 and wants out

What they’re saying makes perfect sense, actually.

2 Likes

Agreed

The only potential question mark here is whether SCA wants to stay in television, and it’s clear the company doesn’t. Only problem is they’d need a buyer for their assets, and I can’t see any of the metro stations jumping on board with that in this economy.

1 Like

No one wants to be the Ten affiliate - they have the lowest ratings, and even worse regionally due to the demographics Ten target being skewed towards metro areas.

Southern Cross optimised their business for that, running an ultra low cost Ten affiliate, very little rebranding, bare minimum local content and more. WIN come into it with a high cost base, so they’ve learnt now how much more value a Nine affiliation has to them.

So, yes - it’s very likely that WIN are talking to Nine and making good offers to them to try and get that affiliation back. Likewise, there were those rumblings regarding whether SCA were booking multi-platform ad sales as sales for their radio station to reduce their television revenue, and thus reduce their revenue based affiliate fee share.

As I did there - you can make a very good case for there being an affiliation swap. As such, you can make a very believable post that it’s happening - because you are building a “rumour” on top of what is something that is in the realm of possibility, which makes it sound credible.

The problem is - as I said, a deal needs to be notified to shareholders. That it has not been, means there’s not a deal. It’s that simple. Publicly traded companies simply must make their shareholders aware of major changes like that.

A non-final deal is no deal at all. Just ask those at Ten about the done deal they had on Cricket rights…

13 Likes

Viacom isn’t throwing money around but maybe they see sense in owning the assets and not having to deal with regional affiliates flailing and not being stable, plus not having to deal with Win would be an advantage if they bought SCA TV assets

5 Likes

While there is allegedly some friction between SCA and Nine around affiliation fees, the door remains ajar for a swap back.

@Moe is right that any agreement would have to be reported to shareholders, but it wouldnt surprise me if Nine are close to reaching an agreement with either SCA or WIN

5 Likes

As Moe said, there is no deal until shareholders have been informed and a statement has been released.

Don’t forget, Win management are also on the record for saying they were completely blindsided by 9 in 2016 when 9 and SCA announced their affiliation deal at the last minute.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised either. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gordon shops around SCA or WIN. Gordon sounds like the more money he can get the better type of person. and I think SCA would like to if they could offload to win tv . and take over the 10 afflication. reason: I am thining the local news. If SCA offloaded to win. they would perhaps have more money and win already has a local news service

That makes no sense. No one wants to be affiliated with Ten.

3 Likes

I guess the question must be asked - how realistic would a reversal of the affiliation switch be? To be honest, I can’t see it happening unless 9 buys WIN and 10 buys SCA’s television assets, if and when the relevant legislation changes. How desperate are WIN to get back with Nine? Are SCA willing to part with their television assets? I knew the 50% affiliation fee was way too much, and looks like it’s biting them in the backside.

1 Like

i agree, i was just shocked to hear this from people who work at WIN, inside the motherstation. I hope its not true at all

i wont name names because that would be wrong, i worked at WIN in the early 90’s and still have friends who work in the place, a rumor heard then a couple of phone calls and they didnt deny it. Maybe its all just conjecture, hopefully someone somewhere will announce something at some point

was that win tv here in ballarat?

1 Like

It may be hard to tell - although I’d suggest that the articles that Nine’s papers ran a few months ago about SCA were an attempt to send a message about the current relationship. Many thought that the last affiliate swap was always unlikely, yet here we are.

A Nine (or Ten) buyout of either seems unlikely IMO

6 Likes

if we had a 100% confirmation of a new affiliation to go ahead, I would wonder if WIN Ten in NNSW would stay or switch again.
I would presume that not happen as I don’t think WIN would give up a TV Station for broadcasting.

I’d much prefer Nine to stick to SCA for branding and news wise.

There WILL be jobs lost as Nine provides the regional presence for the Local bulletins. 10 and SCA would need to make an agreement for local news but I doubt it would happen. I doubt WIN would reallocate those staff as their news service is more than established.

I like having consistent Channel 9 branding across basically the whole Australia too (except Imparja.)

7 Likes

also 9 regional staff are actually 9 employees arent they? So they get to call what they do on a daily basis without having to go through another companies management structure to get permission to send staff to a particular news item?

2 Likes

Correct

2 Likes