Ten (West Digital Television)

3 Likes

Well I wouldn’t have thought that long, Tassie has got 9HD. Only difference between the two companies is that with TDT, SCA handles play out.
Seen a few people on my Facebook feed complaining the Life channel has gone, will be public uproar here if it doesn’t come back at all…

Network and channel names were updated today.

NRL on GEM West was good.

This has a pretty good summary of the behind the scenes negotiations.

Nine settles WA regional blackout on election night

Says that originally Nine wanted a " guaranteed an amount of revenue that reflected its audience share." rather than the usual affiliation fee that is a percentage of revenue.

Additionally “Regional free-to-air executives believe they have been bullied into paying unsustainable fees for content by metro networks, primarily due to outdated regulation.”

Eventually

WDT had kicked off talks with alternative content providers and was determined to conclude a deal that weekend. WDT gave Nine a Saturday night deadline before advancing talks with other providers.

It is understood the ­parties agreed to a straight affiliate fee of about 20 per cent of revenues for two years, with no guaranteed share of the market." which is what Prime and WIN had originally offered.

4 Likes

It’s so interesting to me that SC pays nine 50% of revenue.

WIN is paying Ten around 30-35% of revenue

But these smaller JV stations in TAS and WA seemed to settle for 20% of revenue

I would have thought it’s all kind of relative.

That they would more or less be in the same range - so no matter what revenue you earn in your market - you pay say 30-35%

The difference is because it is a percentage of revenue rather than profits. From what has been published, it seems that the cost of running the services in smaller markets takes a lot higher percentage of the revenue than in the three 50% share markets. So that it leaves less margin to pay affiliate fees from; potentially too high a fee and they would run at a loss.

Today’s local TV Guide

11 Likes

Nine, GEM and GO have all gone off air in Albany. Has anyone else in WA got signal?

From today’s TV guide in The West Australian:

“Temporarily” you say? Interesting…

2 Likes

The Hobart Mercury has a similar advisory also. Giving people false hope ??? :thinking:

More than likely using info from SCA thinking it applies to all of regional Australia.

2 Likes

WDT now using proper Channel 9 sponsor billboards.

They were using this ancient Ten version right up until June 30.

6 Likes

The design of that Ten West Sponsor Billboard dates back to Ten’s 2010-11 (or around that time anyway) On-Air Presentation package. Crazy how it was still being used five years+ after it was replaced, in which time Ten has probably changed the design more than once!

And somehow, I actually wouldn’t be terribly surprised if WDT keeps that exact same Nine Sponsor Billboard template in use for years after the network replaces it!

3 Likes

I think what’s even crazier is that 10 still use classification boards from 2006 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote=“Alista, post:132, topic:1480, full:true”]

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:131, topic:1480”]
Temporarily
[/quote]The Hobart Mercury has a similar advisory also. Giving people false hope ??? :thinking:
[/quote]“Temporarily”. If we’re lucky, we may see it early next year. Again, if we’re lucky. :grin:

Nine WA has beaten WIN in the ratings every month since September. Surely the Nine licence is now profitable!!

7 Likes

Won’t be long now before WIN makes more out of the 50% profit from WDT than the 100% from WOW!

8 Likes

According to the latest regional TV ratings from Regional TAM, Nine WA is the #1 station in both primary & network shares in the week of 15-21 January 2017.

2 Likes

Having live BBL on One instead of main channel not helping WIN’s cause.

1 Like