Ten (West Digital Television)

Prime and WIN are said to be negotiating with “alternative content suppliers and is aiming to conclude an agreement this weekend”.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/urgent-talks-amid-nine-blackout-in-regional-wa/news-story/a6e0aad0d1b9ed5cb12bae39f0988f17

So Nine may be excluded?

2 Likes

Let’s say WDT makes a temporary agreement with Foxtel to show 3 of its channels (a real possibility now), what would you want those 3 to be?

I think I’d like to see:

• Fox8 (flagship like Nine, cuts to Fox Sports for NRL matches)
  • LifeStyle (like 9Life)
  • TVH!TS (like 9Gem?)

Yeah that sounds good.

When the reach laws change, ACMA should invite another company to take over WDT like SCA, then we won’t have to put up with anymore of this blackout nonsense should future negotiations break down. Prime and WIN have played silly buggers for too long. Remember the agony of the delay of digital in regional WA?

What happened there was a delay ?

Digital GWN and WIN as well as Ten West only started in 2010 but only in certain areas. It was finally rolled out by the end of 2012 after about 8 years of delays.

So they really did have to Wait Awhile. WA.

1 Like

Absolutely none of it would have happened if it wasn’t for Conroy’s mandated analogue switch-off and subsequent funding for transmitter upgrades. At best we would still have all 3 primary channels in SD digital like the beginning (with 1 showing a loop of course)

4 Likes

Don’t forget about a 9Go! replacement! Something like Cartoon Network in the day and Comedy Channel in the night

Those channels would still have to comply with ACMA guidelines in areas of Australian content, children’s and drama, plus classification rules etc.

3 Likes

True, however there are only 3 channels at play here. Ten West, like Mildura, only ever transmitted Ten, One and Eleven.

What was that article about I couldn’t read it due to a subscription needed.

So there won’t be a Ch 9 in regional WA anymore ?

That makes it quite challenging. Throw in Cartoon Network in place of TVH!TS, and somehow insert Foxtel-produced Australian content at certain times of the day on Fox8 or LifeStyle. Abiding by the classification rules would make it even harder.

I think the JV licences also have a token quota of local news to adhere to but I’m not sure that applies to WA.

I think regional WA is exempt from those laws, otherwise Ten West has broken that rule for the past 6 years, WIN for the past 4.

Ok mustn’t apply to WA then.

I wonder if 7flix is a possible temporary solution? Also, couldn’t the ACMA grant an exception to these rules considering the circumstances?

Foxtel certainly could create a channel with selected Australian content including sky news, sport, comedy etc. plus a couple of standard channels. There’s enough Aussie content, probably more than they need. And if it’s WA only then it’d be tailored to their Timezone.

What would be in it for Foxtel?
Perhaps it could be News Corps entry into FTA TV. Perhaps it could use the 2 extra channels to rotate 2 Foxtel channels as a kind of advertising for getting Foxtel Satellite.

1 Like

I don’t know how to upload mock picture. Sorry it’s off topic

I don’t see it

4 Likes