Nine Tennis Coverage

I’d guess the upcoming “announcements” will be for all the roving reporters at Melbourne Park? Expect a large number of them to come from Nine News Sydney Sport (Julie Snook? Danika whatever? Maybe Cameron Williams and Erin Molen? Clint Stanaway would be a shoe in, already appeared in a lot of live crosses and photo shoots there).

Seven used: Rachel Finch, Giaan Rooney, Rebecca Maddern used to do it, Tom Williams, Emily Angwin and I think Kylie Gillies did it years ago plus many others who came and went?

2 Likes

Basically Seven’s team with Nine microphones. Even John McEnroe is ex-seven (before Courier came on board).

1 Like

ESPN which is the main network he works for.

Guessing the arrangement will be similiar to how it works with the BBC for Wimbledon in that ESPN will have priority over Nine regarding deciding what match they want him to call for them

Yep, all Nine need is to get Sam Smith (it’d be her 10th year in a row) and Rennae Stubbs and it’ll literally be a Seven carbon copy with McEnroe.

Try Molan.

I can’t see Cameron Williams and Molan being ‘roving reporters’, somehow. More likely to be presenting the sport from there during Nine News, I think.

1 Like

Will Nine provide any commentators for the world feed?

I think @SydneyCityTV is also spot on with James Bracey, Nine wanting to put him front and centre (maybe hence no Cam Williams?) as Wide World of Sports main guy / future star, wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the prime time gig too.

Just in the same way Seven have been putting Hamish McLachlan front and centre as their main sport guy / future star (protege or Bruce / is replacement).

I consider Woodbridge and Courier to be excellent commentators so I’m glad they’ve switched over to Nine

2 Likes

No Lleyton Hewitt on Nine’s coverage is interesting.

Sources - there’s a few interesting moves yet to be made.

2 Likes

Looks like more of what we have come to expect - which is good as I have always enjoyed Seven’s coverage, especially over the last few years. Some new hosting faces will take a bit of getting used to but nothing really stand out here at all or any real point of differentiation.

2 Likes

The Australian reported yesterday Nine are in negoitiations with him

2 Likes

Quite respectable assembly, especially Rebecca Maddern. She will be crucial in transition between networks on the inaugural year.

1 Like

What?

He’s referring to the fact that since Tennis is going from Seven to Nine, it would be very important to have someone who’s familiar on both networks hosting the program so that the viewers can quickly adapt to the new network hosting.

4 Likes

She never hosted, barely had anything to do there apart from interveiwing some sponsor like Swisse

But she is familiar with Seven viewers, and that ‘viewer familiarity’ factor is going to come in pretty handy as many Seven viewers would adapt Nine’s coverage better when they see a familiar face that they’ve associate with (particularly in Melbourne).

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone will see it like that, I mean she’s been at Nine for a few years already.

For mine, Todd Woodbridge will be key, also associated with TA and hosted/commentated for a long time, will have had a hell of a lot more to do with the broadcast and talked with many production execs/staff, so a great get there for Nine. After just doing Wimbledon, Comm Games and Aus Open for Seven this year.

The whole bloody commentary line up is basically the same. I think viewers will be just fine making the transition, with or without Maddern.

4 Likes

Edit

Nine’s sports sales boss says not interested in big claims like Seven used about “50% audience share”, questioning what that exactly even entails.
Says tennis has roughly 60 female / 40 male split, unlike cricket, one of the most male dominated viewed sports.
Says broadcast and digital exclusivity will be key.

For mine, Nine MUST get the app/website (however they do that - probably a section dedicated on 9Now?) right with having all courts/feeds accessible, what made Seven’s coverage fantastic in recent years.
As well as utilising at least two broadcast channels (e.g.) Ch 9 and 9Gem.

Article:

1 Like