Nine Tennis Coverage

Danika Mason being used on non-NRL broadcasts for the first time

Wrong, she has been used for Tennis for a few years now unless i’m very much mistaken.

3 Likes

Happy to be: she’s great!

1 Like

Promo shown during Carols by Candlelight tonight

7 Likes

That wasn’t shown (yet - maybe soon), we’ve had a few other ones though, such as Kyrgios, 9Now, 2023 slate and United Cup.

2 Likes

Has now gone to air.

3 Likes

That promo didn’t make its debut tonight - saw it a few days ago.

3 Likes

Nine has released The Happy Slam podcast ahead of 2023 Australian Open. In the six-part series, host James Bracey talks to six former and current players about their tennis career. All six episodes are now available via the link below.

Here is the schedule for the opening day of United Cup today, with all matches streaming live on Stan Sport and a selection of matches on Nine/9Gem.

2 Likes

The first ever United Cup - nice opener.

4 Likes

Looks nice! Is the view of the Harbour Bridge from Nine’s rooftop camera?

2 Likes

Those graphics look really nice. Chances these new supers could be reflected (in a blue accent) for the Aus open?

2 Likes

Probably slim. TA make different graphics for these types of tournaments.

No, appears to be from the Domain somewhere.

You can see Nine’s building in North Sydney behind the bridge (tallest building with the curved edges around the rooftop).

1 Like

I really like the presentation so far. Looks really good on large TV and computer screen. Not sure if the text is big enough for some viewing situations as I haven’t tried anything else. Surprisingly also ok even for those who don’t realise there is a channel 90 on their TV :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

1 Like

Great to hear the unmistakable summer voice of Jim Courier tonight, someone you’d expect reserved for a Grand Slam (Seven always did such with Bruce McAvaney and him for the Aus Open - even taking Bruce off calling for some years in the late 2000s!?). This will be his 19th year in a row covering the Open for the domestic broadcaster, not a bad stint.

Nine’s coverage still looks slick too, seems like some ‘new era’ or refresh tweaks as other MS members have noticed.

I was intrigued by the United Cup, similarly with the ATP Cup in more recent times, especially with no more Hopman Cup then and pandemic times, I think they’ve done alright here and can see potential, even if a gradual build. Looks like decent crowds for Day 1 especially Perth (lacking their once iconic Hopman) and will hopefully grow with the telecasts exposure, especially weekends over coming weeks and the other lead-up tournaments. No Kyrgios for a ‘blockbuster’ first prime time match (and possibly winning start) is a downer though, but a no brainer to make sure he’s ready for the AO if any health concerns. Nice to have the summer of tennis starting back around when it used to as well in late December, like pre coronavirus.

All eyes will be on the usual mega suspects in Nadal, Joker’s return (!) and the likes of Tsitsipas and Medvedev among lthers headline Aussies like NK, Kokkinakis, rising star Tomljanovic (hopeful Barty replacement?) and De Minaur among others. Some potential juicy match-ups too, certainly at the Aus Open. All this includes the Adelaide Int’l and Hobart Int’l as wall as the United C.

3 Likes

?

https://twitter.com/anthonysegaert/status/1608403687139082241

1 Like

Wasn’t the Stafanos Tsitsipas match in Perth? There looked to be plenty of people in there and sounded as such too. Was this earlier or following that maybe? Unless it was a TV illusion.

3 Likes

It was. Tsitsipas defeated Grigov Dimitrov in three sets.

2 Likes

That above picture shows them singing the national anthem prior to the match. More crowds got into the venue afterwards.

On the telly, with three venues happening at the same time, are Nine showing enough of the 3 matches?

2 Likes