Nine Tennis Coverage

It will be interesting to see if 9GemHD is around for the tennis

2 Likes

Considering the topsy turvy nature of the WTA, Nine will just be hoping a) Her current hot form can continue into next Summer and b) She doesn’t get knocked out early in the AO

3 Likes

Given that they are now promoting 9GemHD specifically, it’s probably fair to say that the channel isn’t going anywhere.
I’m expecting some form of 9Go!HD in the near future too, and if all goes well, possibly the removal of the SD channels.

1 Like

And read the comments section. From the author of the article.

2 Likes

Well that gives me hope that it might stick around! What sort of promotion are they using?

1 Like

From the 9Gem thread

6 Likes

That’s awesome. Wasn’t aware of that. Thanks Nicholas.

2 Likes

The Fed Cup final between Australia and France in Perth this November will be the last in the current format. Next year Fed Cup is following Davis Cup by having 12 teams competing in one city. The first tournament will take place in the Hungarian capital of Budapest on April 14-19, 2020 and will be played on clay.

I think Nine won’t be happy with the change because it means it will have to show every day of the tournament, instead of matches only involving Australia.

Yeah, this game will more likely to be played at the RAC Arena during primetime. I would think that this match will be shown on 9GEM.

I mentioned nearly two weeks ago that the matches at RAC Arena would start at 11am Perth time (2pm AEDT) according to Ticketek website, although exact times are yet to be confirmed.

Nine will start a weekend tennis program in October, The Australian is reporting. More Australian Open matches will be shown live on 9Gem in addition to the main channel, with all matches in the tournament streamed live on 9Now, and there will be a daily highlights program AO Essential on 9Now. There will also be a special edition of 60 minutes and a special issue of the Good Weekend to coincide with the Australian Open.

1 Like

Also confirmed, Nine will show this November’s Davis Cup finals in Spain (remember BeIN Sports hold the overall rights) and the inaugural ATP Cup men’s tournament in early January.

That is a good example of integrated coverage across TV, print and digital. If Seven was to get the tennis rights back it will need something like this or better.

2 Likes

The draw for the first ever ATP Cup was held at the Sydney Opera House today. Australia will play its group stage matches in Brisbane, while Novak Djokovic’s Team Serbia will play in Brisbane and Spain and Rafael Nadal will play in Perth.

It will be interesting to see how Nine will cover the tournament next year.

1 Like

Nine is again only showing a one week delayed one hour of highlights of the 2019 Laver Cup at 1:00pm on 28 September. Live coverage is on ESPN2 from 9:00pm tonight.

The Australian Open tennis was launched today.

3 Likes

Wow! I can’t believe that it’s three months away

4 Likes
1 Like

The Australian team playing in next month’s Davis Cup Finals in Spain was announced today.

Australia have been drawn in Group D with Colombia and Belgium. The group winner and the two best second places will advance to quarter finals.
Both ties will be shown live on Nine/9Gem and BeIN Sports.

3 Likes

Promo for Fed Cup

6 Likes

CROSS COURT

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 10 AT 11AM ON NINE & 9NOW

Tennis from a new angle in the lead up to the 2020 Australian Summer of Tennis. With Todd Woodbridge, Jelena Dokic, Dylan Alcott and Sam Groth.

2 Likes