Nine Tennis Coverage

Why does it matter whether he won or lost? He was up 2 sets to 1 and had just lost the third in a tiebreak when they cut away from the match. Him losing at that stage was not the expected outcome.

4 Likes

I think Nine’s contractual rights only allow them to air Wimbledon coverage on one broadcast channel.

8 Likes

That’s why you pay for Stan

3 Likes

Yeah but they know how ratings work. People will tune in to watch Nick and not Alex.

1 Like

He is the MAFS of tennis, not necessarily in a good way.

2 Likes

Wimbledon on the main channel Wednesday

Details:

Update

Also on Thursday

Update 2:

Friday as well.

4 Likes

Next year, Nine should revert back to the model they used last year of having Wimbledon on the main channel ASAP after their reality tentpole or new programming is over. All the schedule amendments they’ve done over the past week and a bit has been unnecessarily messy.

4 Likes

Would all depend on how the Aussies fare I guess.
I won’t be watching any Kyrgios matches until he grows up after his comments today about why he chose to wear hot pink shoes onto the Wimbledon court when the all-white rules are very clear… “because I do what I want.”
Last night the commentators were saying how wonderful it was that young people were interested in tennis because of him… I’d hate to think any young person was looking to him as a role model at present.

4 Likes

Tony Jones broke into tonight’s coverage with breaking news just moments ago. He said that Nick Kyrgios has been charged with one count of common assault to his former girlfriend and is due to appear in court in August. He said that Kyrgios was due to hit the practice courts in 40 minutes times, and said we will see if he actually does or not. No further word if he’ll still play in the quarter finals or not at this stage.

Also Saturday

Update plus Sunday.

During this morning’s Today that had news of Nadal’s retirement an ad for Kyrgios V Nadal’s semi final match tonight.

6 Likes

Nine are already promoting the men’s final…getting back the Wimbledon rights from 7 has worked a treat and no doubt they will want to extend their partnership beyond next year’s tournament.

13 Likes

Since Nine will show the Ashes from England next year, there is always a chance that Wimbledon will clash with a test match. It will be interesting to see how Nine will broadcast both events plus NRL in primetime.
(IIRC it will be the first time since 1993 that Nine has the rights to both Ashes tour and Wimbledon in the same year)

6 Likes

9Gem will probably be the home of the Ashes - moving to the main channel on non-tennis nights without reality shows - with Wimbledon on main channel (moves to 9Go! for NSW/QLD for NRL - which is on 9Go! in AFL states).

5 Likes

It’ll be a unique situation. Back in 1993 there was no multichannels and only 5 FTA channels.

3 Likes

Has the time changed now that the Kyrios/Nadal match is off?

1 Like

Didn’t they give the rights to the ABC for a Test match that clashed?

4 Likes

I believe so.

Quite funny that ever since 7 gave up/lost the Tennis rights to Aus Open and Wimbledon, Australians have done really well.

10 Likes

Yep. The Ladies doubles semifinal is now scheduled for 10:30 pm with Djokovic’s match now pushed back an hour, not starting before 11:30 pm.

2 Likes