Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

9 have exercised their option and extended their deal for 2 more years through 2025. They are now entering a 12 month exclusive negotiation period for a longer term deal beyond that. Clearly it’s driving the necessary subscriptions for Stan for 9 to want longer terms with RA.

5 Likes

Rugby Australia boss Hamish McLennan has confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph that that he is talking to Nine about a new blockbuster game called State of the Union, featuring best 30 rugby union players in the country (split into Probables and Possibles) competing for Wallabies jerseys. The first game could happen in 2025 before the British and Lions tour of Australia.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/saint-sinner-shoosh-wests-tigers-legend-robbie-farah-banned-from-working-with-bookie/news-story/86ecdd42e77656956c964cbe43c914ce

2 Likes

Super rugby bumped to 9Go! in NSW and QLD because of NRL and Coronation.

4 Likes

Looks the same.

2 Likes

As in quality?

1 Like

Stan has extended its broadcast deal with Rugby Australia

3 Likes

Update - confirmed

5 Likes

It would be good if Stan could get the URC as well

3 Likes

As well as the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series and Sevens World Cup (both of which are with beIN currently).

2 Likes

Plus the EPCR Challenge and Champions Cup. Bein Sports’ coverage is a disgrace just one semi final was shown.

1 Like

Didn’t Stan Sport have this at one point?

1 Like

Upon checking some guides, I didn’t realise, wonder what the purpose was of Nine moving tonight’s Waratahs vs Rebels game at late notice from m/c 9Gem to the main channel, but only in Sydney (yes Sydney team and no Brisbane team) and could’ve given it a crack in Melbourne, surely always more Union than League?
Was it just to shore-up TCN’s share and try to help their five city share, after low main channel share over recent Saturdays from disappointing HP movie numbers?
However I can’t really understand how only one market, on the lowest rating night and a niche sport would fix much, if anything?

(e.g.) Great, Sydney goes from 40k-odd to 100k, TCN main channel share goes up, but what impact does that actually have on five city and more so the programs’ audiences, where HP and RU are then split scheduled and ranked differently?

Makes me wonder if local specific program sponsor or spot buyers there (say for the recent HP airings) called sales and weren’t too happy with their ROI on that?

I’m probably analysing/overthinking too much and could just be why not, some higher figure and share is better than nothing and no doubt RU sponsors would’ve got better bang for buck in Sydney at least vs 9Gem, we’ll see in the morning. @TV.Cynic

Super Rugby on the main channel in Melbourne would struggle to attract even 10,000 up against live AFL. Better off sticking with Harry Potter which some people will watch.

3 Likes

Might’ve helped that the Tahs won…i should know, i was there freezing my legs off. :rofl:

Nine have had 4 days to promote it after the change was made. That included crossing to the game during the news tonight.

7 Likes

I don’t think Stan Sport ever showed World Rugby Sevens or the Sevens World Cup.

2 Likes

Stan Sport and 9Gem’s coverage of the Wallaroos’ 2023 international season starts tomorrow (Saturday) when the team hosts Fiji at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium. It is the first match of the double header, with the Waratahs hosting the Fijian Drua in round 13 of Super Rugby Pacific at night.

Wallaroos captain Shannon Parry will retire after the Fiji clash, to be replaced by 22-year-old Piper Duck.

The TV broadcast starts at 4.30pm AEST.

2 Likes

The fixture for week one of Super Rugby Pacific 2023 was revealed early this morning, after Western Force lost their last match of the season to competition leader Waikato Chiefs in Perth to miss out on a finals spot.

Quarter-finals
Friday 9 June, 7.35pm NZT (5.35pm AEST): Blues (3) v NSW Waratahs (6), Eden Park, Auckland
Saturday 10 June, 4.35pm NZT (2.35pm AEST): Chiefs (1) v Queensland Reds (8), FMG Stadium Waikato
Saturday 10 June, 7.35pm NZT (5.35pm AEST): Crusaders (2) v Fijian Drua (7), Orangetheory Stadium, Christchurch
Saturday 10 June, 7.35pm AEST: ACT Brumbies (4) v Hurricanes (5), GIO Stadium, Canberra

All quarter-finals will be streamed live on Stan Sport, with the Brumbies-Hurricanes clash to also air live on 9Gem.

UPDATE 11/6

Semi-finals
Friday 16 June, 7.05pm NZT (5.05pm AEST) Crusaders v Blues, Orangetheory Stadium, Christchurch
Saturday 17 June, 7.05pm NZT (5.05pm AEST) Chiefs v ACT Brumbies, FMG Stadium Waikato, Hamilton

Both semi-finals will be streamed live on Stan Sport, with Chiefs v Brumbies to also be shown live on 9Gem, ahead of the night’s coverage of the first Ashes test.

UPDATE 18/6
9Gem will show the Super Rugby Pacific final between Chiefs and Crusaders on Saturday June 24 from 4.30pm AEST (kick off 5.05pm AEST).

3 Likes

Rugby post-game coverage coming from the Today soft-set area tonight:

Just looks a little odd flicking over to ACA seeing the same set being used:

6 Likes

Thats what happens when you have many programs on at the same time. Cricket, NRL, ACA, News, Rugby

They should build more sets. 2 sports, 1 for Nine and 1 for Stan

2 Likes