Nine Sports Broadcasting

Just like Seven last Friday night with women’s cricket hidden away on 7mate.

During the day on weekends, sport should only be on the main channel, in HD. There is no reason why it shouldn’t.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Rob Canning! Blast from the past.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Not really? He’s been reporting and presenting on Nine for years now.

3 Likes

I couldn’t see him anywhere from my seat. At least they did send someone - the rest are Fox commentators or employed directly by NBL TV (???).

Also, I looked up Input Media - https://www.inputmedia.tv - they seem to be looking after the technical bits. They also work with Cricket Australia.

reports on the daytime Nine news often and sometimes anchors sport too.

1 Like

Tom Malone was right. From World Series Cricket to change of AFL broadcast rights in December 2000 to change of tennis broadcast rights a few months ago (the last two ending Seven’s long-time involvement in either sport), Nine was part of the action.

Channel Nine paid a ridiculous amount for the tennis. Seven must be laughing to get big bash and test cricket. Two very different demos to promote their new slate of shows to.

They have stated they were gunning for the 50/50 demographic split, cricket dominated by males, tests especially older males.

1 Like

Sure but we can only say Seven’s deal is worth it if it was exclusive, but let’s not get that started again.

1 Like

Indeed. One would imagine that exclusivity, along with having both TV & online rights were among the reasons Nine decided to go for the tennis rather than the cricket. With the cricket, I don’t think Seven has any of the streaming rights. Foxtel might (not sure TBH) but otherwise streamers will be directed to Cricket Australia’s own services which you do have to pay for IIRC.

Knowing that tennis has a stronger female appeal compared to cricket, if the Australian Open rates well and leads to decent flow-on effects for the already popular Married At First Sight (as much as I personally loathe the program and others in the genre) it’ll definitely be seen as a change that was worth making for Nine.

Nine’s Director of Sport Tom Malone even seemed excited about Nine having the tennis instead of the cricket from what I saw of his presentation at the upfronts, appearing to taking a subtle dig at the sport they had for 40 years by saying words to the effect of “if it rains (at the tennis), no worries. We’ll close the roof!”

Kinda feel for Clive Dickens (SWM chief digital officer) who has spent some years now with his team developing the 7Tennis app/feeds, etc. It became hugely popular and we just have to pray Nine will follow suit with 9Now (I’m not saying another app, but a section on 9Now for all the courts, etc). I think the 2017 final still holds the OzTam Live VPM record.

Fox has streaming rights

1 Like

I think Tom Malone was fairly sure that James Sutherland and David Peever only wanted to do a deal with Seven and Foxtel. More so given David Peever called Channel Ten “bottom feeders” in an email - perhaps that in part got Channel Nine’s nose out of joint - possibly even considering what “confidential emails” might be say about Nine. Sorry about straying from the topic a little, I think Nine are hoping to regain the number rating spot by obtaining the tennis rights and given this comment

And given my experience (and its possibly the same in other households), the female partner dictates to a large degree what the household has on its main TV in the house (sorry if I sound a little sexist or rude, but hopefully you all get what I am trying to say)

2 Likes

Don’t worry about having to appeal to certain demographics - it first has to pass the test of MediaSpys resident tennis fan…

3 Likes

Comparing the picture quality, the NBL on Fox Sports News via Foxtel Now on Android is clear and sharp unlike on 9Go! and 9Now where it’s pixelated.

1 Like

FAST5 Netball World Series

Saturday and Sunday from 1.30pm on 9Gem and 9Now.

The top six nations meet in the FAST5 Netball World Series on Nine’s Wide World of Sports this Saturday and Sunday, LIVE from 1.30pm on 9Gem and 9Now.

The exhilarating competition features elite netballers from Australia, England, Jamaica, Malawi, New Zealand and South Africa battling for the FAST5 gold medal at Melbourne’s home of netball, Melbourne Arena.

Sarah Klau , Kaylia Stanton and Sam Poolman are out for revenge for Australia after the Diamonds finished runners-up to Commonwealth champions England in last year’s FAST5 World Series.

Joining them on the big stage are New Zealand defensive dynamo Karin Burger and shooting duo Aliyah Dunn and Ameliaranne Ekenasio , England’s Commonwealth gold medallist Kadeen Corbin , and Jamaican superstar shooter Romelda Aiken .

FAST5 will be hosted by Nine News sports presenter Erin Molan , with commentary by Australian netball greats Sue Gaudion and Annie Sargeant , Jenny Woods from New Zealand’s Sky Sports, and Adelaide Thunderbirds coach Dan Ryan . They will be supported by Australian netball legends Liz Ellis , Cath Cox, Sharelle McMahon , and the recently retired Sharni Layton .

Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone , said: “After a record-breaking Suncorp Super Netball season we are thrilled to be broadcasting the best netballers in the world, along with the best commentators, as they present a thrilling, rapid version of the game for viewers all over Australia.”

Nine’s Head of Netball, Keeley Devery , said: “We’re all set for a huge weekend of netball, with two action-packed days of electrifying clashes featuring the top teams in the world. FAST5 uses special rule changes to showcase the stars in a dynamic netball format.”

9Now will exclusively live stream all the FAST5 games at 9Now.com.au. Nine’s wwos.com.au will provide up-to-the-minute scores, latest netball news and commentary.

BROADCAST SCHEDULE:

Saturday, October 28 – from 1.30pm AEDT

1 1.45pm Australia Malawi
2 2.30pm South Africa Jamaica
3 3.15pm New Zealand England
4 4.00pm Australia Jamaica
5 4.45pm England Malawi
6 5.30pm New Zealand South Africa
7 6.15pm Jamaica Malawi
8 7.00pm England South Africa
9 7.45pm Australia New Zealand

Sunday, October 29 – from 12.00pm AEDT

10 12.15pm Malawi South Africa
11 1.00pm Australia England
12 1.45pm New Zealand Jamaica
13 2.30pm Australia South Africa
14 3.15pm New Zealand Malawi
15 4.00pm Jamaica England
16 5.45pm Play-off for 5th/6th
17 6.35pm Play-off for 3rd/4th
18 7.25pm GRAND FINAL

* Broadcast times are subject to change.

2 Likes

It looks as though these dates are wrong. Saturday will be 27 October and Sunday will be 28 October.
I thought Erin Molan will be hosting back to back fast 5 netball series again?

Yesterday Netball Australia revealed the key dates for the 2019 Suncorp Super Netball season. It will start on April 27 but will take a mid-season break in July for the Netball World Cup in Liverpool, England. The semi-finals have been scheduled for August 31 and September 1, the preliminary final on September 8 and the grand final on September 15.

Since the final round of the 2019 NRL home and away season is on the weekend of September 5-8, September 15 could become Super Finals Saturday for NSW and QLD viewers on Nine, with the Suncorp Super Netball grand final leading into the 5pm news, then the NRL finals doubleheader in the evening.
The 2019 Suncorp Super Netball fixture will be released on Wednesday December 5.

1 Like