Nine (Southern Cross)

It is one big continuous US ad for a religion, so it’s up to the buyer (‘SBN’) not the seller (SCA) to make the content appropriate for whatever local audience there may be (hopefully tiny).

3 Likes

In Tassie and Darwin it’s on the SC7 multiplex so Nine promos would look out of place there and I’ve guessing it’s simply one feed nationwide or possibly with some timezone accounting.

And God smiteth down Australian TV standards…

3 Likes

Does anyone have any idea what type of licence this channel is operating under. Is it supposed to be a ‘datacasting’ channel? and if so isn’t that supposed to mean no “entertainment” and “information only” content? Are people singing in a church “information”? Otherwise it would have to comply with some sort of Australian content and classification rules etc. Can someone complain about an advertisement to the Advertising Standards Bureau if it is in breach of the Australian standard?

3 Likes

Back when the Australian Christian Channel was part of the D44 Datacasting Trial here in Sydney, some of the programs appeared in a quarter screen format (with program information and other stuff around the sides) to comply with datacasting regulations although other shows were allowed to be shown full screen. The picture quality was pretty average in any case, if my memory serves me correctly.

1 Like

It’s my understanding since while there is still provision for datacasting licences, it’s pretty much irrelevant now. Since the limit on the number of channels was removed (2015 i think - which is what allowed 9Life and 7Flix to launch) the broadcasters can have as many channels with whatever content they like.

As far as I’m aware, the Australian content provisions apply to each licences, not each individual channel that licencees broadcast.

2 Likes

The last thing the world needs is more magic sky fairy bullshit. What a waste.

14 Likes

If it is being treated as a normal multi-channel, I wonder how it complies with the various regulations surrounding a TV channel. Would something with “mild religious themes” be sometimes classified as PG as if so will Southern Cross assess this on a per program basis and put appropriate classification notices on screen as per the Commercial TV Industry Code of Practice if shown in G rated times? Will they also ensure that the commercials run for no more than 16 minutes?

2 Likes

remember when Fox News Channel started in Australia in 1998 (shared channel with the weekend-only Fox Sports Two) they had a dirty feed from the US complete with US commercials?

1 Like

I would say that SBN is classified as narrowcasting, though there’s no official provision for that in the FreeTV standards. Narrowcasters don’t need to do PRGs or ratings as far as I know.

3 Likes

Yeah i believe its just the one feed world wide even online its the same as the tv

Just looked at SBN for the first time tonight, and the programme info on my TV says it’s rated PG.

Though the content was excessively disturbing, the entire few minutes I was watching was presenters trying to convince viewers to “give a gift of $500 or more” :anguished: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

So-called “seed faith” is corrupt and highly damaging to masses of people. I’m sure we all remember John Oliver’s exposé of televangelist “seed faith” back in 2015. If SBN is seriously airing such content, SCA should seriously rethink their supply arrangement.

4 Likes

Particularly bad because it’s in US dollars, so someone could send their $500 and be still short of the amount needed for eternal salvation, which is a shame.

15 Likes

I hope ratings are measured… I thought it would be none (even I’m a Christian but don’t watch this stuff) but it seems like with all the MS attention it could rival some of the other multichannels!

WIN air similar “sow a seed” content on GOLD.

Yeah, the program I saw they were getting viewers to ring in and donate, trying to build up $4.5 million to pay for their broadcasting fees for the month.

Unfortunately, they’ve already added a phone number for “Australian viewers”

2 Likes

iShopTV are shaking in their boots

4 Likes

I noticed that in Watson in Nth Canberra work is underway on the road extension required for the housing development on the land to the west of the Prime site; and that housing blocks are selling on the Mt Majura Estate (the Carotel site) - Prime borders it to the south and SCA to the east. When the DA went in for the SCA site in January this year the developer said it would be a four to six year project, so while the two adjacent sites are moving ahead the SCA site redevelopment seems to be a few years away.

According to RegionalTAM ratings for the week of 9-15 July, Nine wins the Regional QLD ratings in both main channel & network shares for the first time since the affiliation swap, mainly thanks to Australian Ninja Warrior & the State of Origin decider. This also came on the same week that Nine started rolling out its local news bulletins across QLD, with Cairns/FNQ launched that week.

Nine also won Southern NSW/ACT that week for mostly the same reason.

3 Likes