Nine (Southern Cross)

Depends on the TV though.

1 Like

True. When GEM and ABC News 24 launched, my tv kept the channels as “ABC HD (and kept the LCN 20)” and “Nine HD”!

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:318, topic:1198”]
The problem here is, if SCA continue to not promote any Nine programming, viewers will only be aware of the change based on what they’ve seen from WINs advertising.Meaning a lot of people will likely be scratching their heads wondering where NINE programs have gone after July 1. As WINs promos make it seem to the average viewer as if they’ll still have NINEs programs.[/quote]Surely SCA will have to start promoting the change of content through their TV channels/radio networks very soon to get people aware of what’s going on come July 1.

And although WIN have started promoting the change, IMO, it has so far been poorly executed as it would seem to the average viewer that they are just gaining extra content on top of what they already have which is obviously false (continuing to air Nine content like you mentioned).

[quote=“ando9185, post:320, topic:1198, full:true”]
I’d also wonder if TDT even gets 9Life later on too and when. TDT is in a bit of a no-man’s land. It’s not in the SC-9 agreement and not in the WIN-10 agreement and being a joint venture both parties probably want to spend as little as possible on it to keep the viewers on their main respective channels. Is it worth the upgrade costs?[/quote]I think we will receive 9Life & 9HD through TDT9 (or whatever it will be renamed to) at some stage, but it certainly won’t be a priority for either of them.
News content will be interesting too. I guess 9 News from Melbourne will air at 6pm, but what about local News content? Would they continue with the ‘noodle updates’ or go with local News inserts? Certainly will be interesting to see what happens in a few weeks.

4 Likes

Southern Cross currently air “noodle updates” on TDT10 now don’t they? In the same fashion as the SC10 updates in QLD/NSW/VIC if i’m not mistaken.

Maybe SCA will use the new 9 News service that is supposedly being launched for QLD/NSW/VIC to continue to do 9 News branded “Noodle updates” on TDT9?

2 Likes

Well they are hardly going to talk up the fact they are losing a lot of higher-rating shows.

2 Likes

Southern Cross needs to connect better with regional viewers rather than just being a relay of metro Nine.

A good start would be local idents like the following

A Gold Coast version

6 Likes

I agree, but you really couldn’t use “Love This City” in regional areas for obvious reasons.

Another great idea would be to work with Nine by getting national shows like Today (yes, I know Today are already doing that with their regular “We Love Australia” tours), ACA, The Footy Show, etc broadcasting live from various regional areas in the SCA Nine broadcast area in the weeks and months after the switch.

2 Likes

Love this region. Works just as well.

Look forward to seeing someone mock this in the mock area.

3 Likes

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:333, topic:1198, full:true”]Well they are hardly going to talk up the fact they are losing a lot of higher-rating shows.[/quote]Haha true :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (well they could), but I get their thinking even if they are trying to trick their viewers into thinking otherwise. :wink:

I wonder if they will start airing a few more different promos as the weeks count down to inform their audience a bit more on what’s happen.

1 Like

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:332, topic:1198, full:true”]Southern Cross currently air “noodle updates” on TDT10 now don’t they? In the same fashion as the SC10 updates in QLD/NSW/VIC if i’m not mistaken.[/quote]Yep, they air the same “noodle updates” as seen in SC10 regions.

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:332, topic:1198, full:true”]Maybe SCA will use the new 9 News service that is supposedly being launched for QLD/NSW/VIC to continue to do 9 News branded “Noodle updates” on TDT9?[/quote]Yeah, I was thinking they might continue with the “noodles” but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see as to what they might do. You never know (unlikely I know!), they may launch a 9 News service like they apparently will for NSW, VIC and QLD.

Wollongong Love this City concept ident that I done several months ago for the launch of WIN HD

7 Likes

Or “Love This Country” with local images/town names.

2 Likes

TV Cynic’s post in the mocks thread with a ‘countdown to Nine’ got me thinking of how SC should best handle the on air transition.

I think with the Election on the 2nd, SC could shut down as a Ten station at 7:30pm on the Thursday, and launch as Nine in prime time with some news programming covering the election in the various regions - say a 7:30 show localised for each region with their local candidates, some local issues at stake, etc.

Then at 8:30 have a regional leaders debate/forum - ideally do one for each state. Then at 9:30 go into a promo loop/countdown for the relaunch as Nine.

Ideally if SC have their planned news reader in place - they should host those programs - but either way it would serve to flag the intention of doing local news coverage.

Watermark the programming as Nine, and have commercial breaks promoting every show as being on its new home. Basically, spend a night being a Nine affiliate without actually using any Nine programming.

I really like that 'Love this City’ mock ident concept, MATTB. That would look great aired into each region - with local images from that said region of course.

3 Likes

Viewers aren’t interested in politics; it’s a big turn off. They’d rather watch Masterchef.

1 Like

I’m really surprised SC stations in QLD, SNSW/ACT and VIC have not yet started running promos for Nine programming - it’s less than 4 weeks away now.

4 Likes

the little 5 second “this is Channel Nine” with the regional graphics done in the 90s would be just as good. It can also replace all the god-damn “NRL. Live and Free on the home of footy, Channel 9” that 9NBN runs at least 40 times per hour!

5 Likes

So how come your news tops the ratings night in night out?

these are some stills taken from NTD8 in late 2002 leading up to its change to “Nine Darwin”. Southern Cross Ten could be doing stuff like this to let people know it’s becoming Channel Nine.

12 Likes

Precisely why they should use the Masterchef slot to flip over to Nine branding - something they can’t do while showing a Ten show.

If SC had some other content they could use that wouldn’t fall under Nine or Ten’s programming agreement, then use that instead - just think they need a way of launching the channel in prime time as Nine and having the most eyeballs possible to let people know that they are now Nine.