Nine (Southern Cross)

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:1405, topic:1198, full:true”]that pdf might have been created before July :wink:[/quote]Never mind. Just a pathetic attempt at a joke really. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“stilesykenny, post:1407, topic:1198, full:true”]Was that the same time Southern Cross Television (Tasmania, Port Pirie/Broken Hill) introduced the star too their logo as well?[/quote]Southern Cross Television introduced their new star logo on June 19 2005 at 6.30pm. Oddly, I still remember watching at that exact time to see the new network logo launched that night. I think the SC10 launched it shortly after that date (not on the same night as SC7 IIRC).

Here’s some caps on launch night of the new logo,
An Ident, DH promo and PRG:

DH promoPRG

The thylacine logo part of the PRG disappeared not long before the introduction of the star logo.

2 Likes

SC News Tasmania had the new logo with a refresh on the following night’s bulletin.
Opener and OTS:

4 Likes

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:1409, topic:1198, full:true”]

I’m pretty sure the “tiger” logo for Southern Cross was introduced early in 2000 roughly coinciding with Seven’s “ribbon” logo change which was on New Year’s Eve/Day. Its first implementation featured the five colour bar which Seven was using at that time.[/quote]Yep. Mid-January is when the “tiger” first appeared replacing the network constellation logo used during the '90s.

This is a variant of that ident but with “Network” instead of “Television” which was added sometime later.

Early 2000 Ident:

2003 Ident:

1 Like

Which looks far better than they have now.

1 Like
1 Like

16 posts were split to a new topic: Tasmanian Digital Television

4 Likes

Interesting.
I wonder what the “essential maintenance” is?

2 Likes

At the end of the ad break of 9 News between sport and weather, SCA randomly cut from the Brisbane feed to the 9 Sydney feed here in QLD, with the latter half of the Sydney ad break airing and now the weather and closer of 9 News Sydney is airing here in Townsville.

Was a bit weird having Andrew Lofthouse and Melissa Downes throwing to break to then have Peter Overton appear after.

1 Like

I wish I still had my mac.

I could have setup a transmitter, satellite receiver, and camtwist and have my own Channel 9 on 5 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure if we have anyone on here from the SCA part of SA, or from Griffith or Mildura areas, but if we do, I’m wondering what SCA do in these areas that don’t have 9HD in regards to the promos they receive from Nine with the 9HD logo on them.

For example, the promos airing here for The Block feature a 9HD logo.

I’m wondering whether these are also shown in the other SCA markets without 9HD, or whether they get special promos from Nine without the 9HD logo?

@WAtvVideos, what does WDT do in regards to this?

Well I’m from a WIN part of SA & the 9 SD channel keeps on airing promos featuring the 9HD logo, like the ones for The Block & there have been a few others from time to time, even through we don’t have 9HD here. I Doubt WIN really care they are showing promos they receive from Channel 9 with the 9HD logo on them.

The picture quality on the 9 SD channel via WIN is terrible, it almost looks like how the WIN SD channel use to look like when they were affiliated with 9.

2 Likes

They don’t remove any references to 9HD or 9Life. Sponsor billboards are about the only things WDT insert over the top of the Nine broadcast, from what I have seen so far.

What channel names do they use there? In WA, they are NINE, GEM and GO in all capital letters and no location name or exclamation point!

2 Likes

Same here, but they do use the exclamation point with GO!

3 Likes

well at least they apologise for inconvenience, SC9 usually plays infomercials between 1am-5am. Maybe they’re apologising to the infomercial companies who booked space during those times.

1 Like

9HD sponsor board? Not quite, SCA add the add-on “HD” watermark a little too early yet again. :grin:

5 Likes

The HD add-on seems to come on and off at random times sometimes.
Sometimes it doesn’t appear until well after the PRG, othertimes it appears immediately after the ad break

Other times, when 9 transitions from one show to another without ads, the HD add-on seems to disappear for a little while about 5 seconds after the 2nd show starts before reappearing.

A couple of days ago, I even saw the HD addition stay on during the start of the ad break when SCA were showing CSAs.

I’ve even seen the Today style HD addition stay on for a little bit during the morning news after Today Extra finishes.

Does Nine have the ability to do the switching for SCA, or at least send ‘triggers’ down the feed line so the computers at SCA playout can trigger the appearance or disappearance of the HD tag without human intervention? Because either SCA are doing it manually with someone literally sitting at a desk flicking a switch, or someone at either Nine/SCA isn’t programming the system to trigger correctly.

This stuff is fairly simple and once-off in the world of television broadcasting. American networks, especially Fox, do this with dozens of affiliates simultaneously and it works seamlessly. In the instance of Fox, coming back to a program from an ad break, a trigger is sent from Fox playout to the local affiliate to trigger a local watermark for 30 secs, before that disappears and is replaced by a generic Fox logo which is also generated at a local level I believe. The only aspects of Fox’s presentation which are ‘dirty’ or burnt in I believe are the PRGs and credit squeezes, and with the latter some local networks have been known to show a news update during credits.

In the grand scheme of things, an HD tag should be easy to get right.

4 Likes

Another example of SCA’s sponsor boards using the 9 graphics.

4 Likes

Relating to our previous discussion about the SCA9 HD watermark.

I recorded this last Wednesday, just after ACA returned from break and during the transition to RBT, which shows what I mentioned about the HD appearing and disappearing at odd times.