Nine Radio (Talk)

Back in days when Ray worked at 2UE. I recall visiting the station for rectification of a problem (2UE was a client of ours).
I was in the 2UE North Sydney Reception lounge on the telephone chasing up parts for the job for return at a later time & other stuff. Ray came out to the reception desk (not far away) leaning over it & he just started starring over at me to his left at me at what seamed like 6-7 minutes. It was quite un-nerving. I’d never met him before. But it was like he had a beef & wanted to offload (either with the fault issue, the company I worked for or something…?) I couldn’t be sure of Ray’s intent, but it was odd, given Ray’s prolonged eagle eyed observance. Fortunately I had a few people to talk to in our office on the telephone in the reception lounge & by the time I finished the phone call & returned to receptionist to ask to speak with Ian Wallace, Ray had returned to his studio or office.
I really didn’t want to risk (real or not) to be on the verbal receiving end of Ray.
Even back then I think Ray was known to to get fired up (on air).

Ian Wallace was a nice guy to deal with; SM or GM of the station at the time.

3 Likes

Interesting you say that about Ian Wallace… either him or Geoff Wallace have a close relationship with Hadley.

What about all the other manufacturing companies that have left when we did have coal fired power plants, I can’t believe people believe the shit he spews out, Just tell the truth Ray , Huggies are leaving because it’s cheaper manufacturing things in China

1 Like

Ray missing from the Continuous Call Team again today. That’s 3 out of the 4 weeks so far this season.

If the Continuous Call Team wins an ACRA this year I hope Hadley excuses himself from accepting it.

2 Likes

John Gibbs has told The Sunday Telegraph about the bullying he was allegedly subjected to from Ray Hadley at 2UE. Gibbs says he told management. The story also mentions that the voodoo photo Hadley allegedly carried around in his wallet was one supposedly of Paul Vautin (which would be strange if true as they appeared to get on ok on The Footy Show).

Paywall:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/manly-legend-breaks-silence-on-alleged-hadley-bullying/news-story/8b51a850db6303b1c17dbc0a23ee1b17

1 Like

This becomes more amusing by the week.

Let he who is without sin…

I unfortunately heard a few minutes of Luke Grant shortly after midday today: “Yesterday the left were telling us we couldn’t eat meat”. A tiny minority of extremists staged protests yesterday but Grant implies they represent everyone who leans left. Grant just says whatever he thinks Jones, Hadley and Smith would say but he’s not very good at it. If Grant is part of the succession plans should anyone leave, 2GB needs to think again and find someone else.

7 Likes

Indeed many of the left hate vegans and their extremist views. Activist Vegans are nuisance to society.

2 Likes

The assumption that people who are vegans must vote left is ridiculous.

I know a few people who are vegan and are conservative in their politics and their views. In fact one of my schoolmates and his family are very right leaning but most of them are vegan. They are vegan because they want to be healthy.

7 Likes

Are you implying that non vegans are unhealthy?

:roll_eyes: I’m not implying anything. I’m telling you why they say they have chosen to be vegan.

1 Like

Brad Smart, a station owner himself and a director of many businesses over his career has written this great article for Radioinfo:

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/macquarie-media’s-bully-problem-whose-job-line-–-hadley-or-board

Always impressed that Radioinfo continues to publish thorough articles that would go over the head of the Radio Today editors.

2 Likes

One of Brad Smart’s best quotes:

“Of course, John Singleton would never use his majority shareholding to direct the Board to do his will, because he’d be fully aware of the dim view that ASIC would take for someone acting as a shadow director.”

Raising a wry smile to face of many a reader.

A good read. The employer needs to do a better job of looking after its staff. It sounds like it started from the 2ue days all the way to today.

I hope, if Ray goes, we don’t get too precious in radio (in relation to the actually radio talkback show).

Example , A lot of people did not like Stan Zemanek but it added to the entertainment. Also I believe he treated his staff very well. I don’t think he “bullied” the listener like Bruce the goose, but it was simple banter and fun. I like radio having characters & banter especially in talk back. Even calling Bruce a goose is that being a bully? I believe Stan did really try to help him (financially). The banter between Stan / Bruce was fun in my view.

The closest thing I can see a today equivalent is the auto expert channel on Youtube, run by John Cadogan (ex 2ue). I find his channel very entertaining.

Overall, I think having people calling a spade a spade is still to have, honest and upfront, rather than sugar coasting all things. This world needs those character types. Ray probably see himself as this kind of guy. From what we hear Kerry Packer and Steve Jobs were like this too (not that you can compare Ray to these people).

But their needs to be boundaries, and you need to look after your best staff and appreciate them like Andrew Moore/Chris Bowen.

1 Like

Correct, Stan Zemanek did look after his staff. Always remembered by those he helped.

John Cadogan is a great talent, lost from radio save for interviews with MRN’s bungling of 2UE. Extremely clever, knows his brief.

Veteran 2GB-Macquarie tennis correspondent Craig Gabriel had an accident in Miami on the weekend, and he’s now back in Sydney and recuperating after an operation yesterday.

2 Likes

I am glad that this morning’s Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that negotiations are proceeding well in regards to Alan Jones’ $4M a year contract to continue with 2GB.

It would be a shame for him to leave. The show and its callers provide Sydney with the best breakfast entertainment.

Yesterday was classic. There was the outrage that Israel Folau’s was in trouble for his comments that gays should repent. Alan not only took calls between 6 and 6.30 but continued with the calls after 6.30am. His callers were angry “that there was no longer freedom of speech in Australia”. “How could someone lose their job for having an opinion?” and “I am never flying Qantas again”

These were the exact same callers that demanded Yassmin Abdel-Magied be sacked from SBS for a tweet.

But it gets better…Alan then relayed the story of the Welcome Hotel in Balmain. Neighbours to the hotel had complained about smoke from their commercial BBQ and this resulted in an order from the Inner West Council for the hotel to cease using the BBQ.

Alan’s commented, after an hour of outrage that free speech had ended and the Constitution had been shredded, that “I am sick and tired and whinges and complainers who go on about everything. They should all shut up and harden up. These people complain about everything - we are sick of it”

You have to listen to the show for a while to understand the humour. It’s not about quick one liners like the FM shows. This is about Alan’s ability to set up a joke over time and execute it perfectly.

3 Likes

I found this caller unintentionally funny. Poor old Selva