Nine Radio (Talk)

I think maybe bring Denis Walter back to afternoons and revert the afternoons format to the previous light hearted entertainment format, with some news on the side.

Network the weekday night format, or bring in some fresh talent.

Could be the start of another round of departures at 3AW, perhaps Darren James might be next, that weekend slot really needs a freshen up.

1 Like

Secretly hoping it would be Jo Hall but Jacqueline Felgate seems to make more sense given her profile there has risen over the years.

1 Like

What is Nine doing with Ms Hall these days? I feel she was the longtime heir apparent to Peter Hitchener but then got pushed aside for Alicia Loxley and then left to read those regional bulletins that no longer exist. I hope Nine either through its TV or radio outlets can find something for her.

1 Like

Really sorry for Dee Dee to leave in these circumstances. Whatever people thought of her, she always came across as down to earth and nice. Particularly, I will miss hearing Grubby and Dee Dee together on Friday Lunch.

I actually think Heidi Murphy is a chance of being the new host. I canā€™t see Elise wanting it full-time, and Iā€™d be surprised if itā€™s Jacqui Felgate given she already has lucrative roles on the station filling in on Breakfast, her regular food review each Friday, and hosting footy coverage. Donā€™t forget sheā€™s a social media influencer - Iā€™m sure she doesnā€™t need this job to pay the bills.

3 Likes

Could Grubby and Dee Dee reunite? If you were Mark Taylor at ACE you would have to be at least sounding their intentions out. Possibly unlikely with Grubby hitting 70 this year, but having said that stranger things have happened.

2 Likes

She was never pushed aside. She didnā€™t want to do weekends anymore at the time as it didnā€™t suit her family life any longer. Then when the opportunity arises for regional she took it as it then suited.

Jo wouldnā€™t want the main presenter gig now as she didnā€™t back then. If she was interested she would have asked or negotiated at a minimum to go back to afternoon bulletins and news updates. Which she hasnā€™t.

Fair enough. I think sheā€™s a good communicator i hope Nine doesnā€™t do anything to lose her.

1 Like

Okā€¦ Okā€¦ Okā€¦

Letā€™s put our typical Nine hats on for a minute.

Who is a ā€œsidelinedā€ Channel Nine personality, who is still stuck in contract? Likely a female (in keeping with the Nine Radio strategy of having females host afternoons [excl. Perth]).

Figure out who. And there is your answer.

Sidenote: It is sad that Grubby & Dee Dee wonā€™t be working for the same radio network any longer.

2 Likes

Good decision to get rid of Dee Dee. Long overdue. She was always way out of her depth and never improved in the three long years she was there.

But please Nine, do not replace her with Jacqui Felgate!! That would flip a very good decision on its head in an instant!

1 Like

Yes itā€™s a shame they couldnā€™t work out a deal to have her back on weekends and maybe filling in for Denis

3 Likes

Tend to disagree.

Tend to disagree again. Haha. I think Jacqui would be good. But would prefer Heidi Murphy.

Makes me think that you may not be in the target audience demographic for 3AWā€™s afternoon program anyway. Out of curiosity, do you listen to the radio at this time? If so, what do you listen to instead? As I assume it wasnā€™t Dee Dee!

1 Like

According to the Herald Sun, Elise Elliott will fill the slot for the next three weeks. That should see it through until the end of this ratings period, then presumably someone else covers the shift during the two week non-ratings period, and the new appointment could start on July 10.

5 Likes

been living under a rock the past day obviously

I am shocked to hear Dee Dee has been let go by 3AW / Nine managements, wonder what the go is there, pure ratings? Admittedly hers was probably the weakest link, not too dissimilar to Jim Wilson also being let go recently at Sydney sister 2GB and canā€™t imagine Deb Knight is far behind (but they probably donā€™t want to be seen sacking both Dee Dee and Deb and after Jim also Deb with her profile also hosting Saturday ACA and previously on Today/Nine News and Ten

Donā€™t blame Dee Dee for not wanting to see out the year, fair enough. Was just catching-up on her podcasts yesterday from the last fortnight, particularly the TV/entertainment/gossip segments (Mondays and Wednesdays at 1:30pm) and had no idea this was going down! Wonder what Fiona Byrne thinks (surely she hasnā€™t written an article on it)/will do (will the station keep the same producers/guests?

1 Like

So far all of the usual contributors have been on wirh Elise this week.

I would expect Grubby to not be on Friday though.

3 Likes

I suspect Grubby will also not be back for The Weekend Break this summer. Heā€™s loyal to Dee Dee. If sheā€™s not at the station then heā€™ll have no interest in staying too.

Or the alternative is, come summer, itā€™ll all be water under the bridge for Dee Dee and instead she re-joins Grubby over summer.

3 Likes

Aside from Friday lunch though, there is no reason why he couldnā€™t do the weekend break?
Itā€™s showbiz. Itā€™s not the first time itā€™s happened and it wonā€™t be the last. I would be very surprised if he pulls away from The Weekend break .

3 Likes

Letā€™s hope, they were really good over summer during the AFL off-season and continued an iconic radio duo going back decades.

3 Likes

Brisbaneā€™s 4BC has announced that Peter Gleeson will be jumping behind the mic on Drive after the departure of Neil Breen on June 23. The position will not be permanent, however, with Gleeson acting in a caretaker role.

https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/1666696577996701696?s=20

Some may remember the scandal surrounding plagiarism by Peter Gleeson.

4 Likes

do the crime, do theā€¦ plum prime radio gig. But of course

2 Likes

Gee there can be some soft landings in media circles. Though I guess in a setting where a large part of your day job is to quote other peopleā€™s articles, he would be a naturalā€¦

3 Likes