Nine Radio (Talk)

What shows do you listen to in the USA?

2UE going Lifestyle and Infomercials. This will go down well. Like the maiden voyage of the Titanic. :laughing:

Just do Magic 954 and be done with it. MRN have just about picked the bones clean from the 2UE carcass, may as well ground those bones and use it as fertilizer.

NSW corruption watchdog’s star barrister, Geoffrey Watson SC, has threatened powerful radio host Alan Jones with a defamation suit if he does not publicly apologise for calling him a “character assassin," The Australian (paywall) reports.

“The hurt suffered by our client has been aggravated by his knowledge that the imputations carried by the broadcast are untrue and by the reckless and sensational language used by Alan Jones in the broadcast including the reference, in effect, to our client being a ‘character assassin’,” the December 16 letter from Mr Watson’s legal team states. “Should you fail to comply with these demands, we will seek our client’s instructions to commence proceedings for defamation against Alan Jones and Harbour Radio Pty Ltd without further notice.”

1 Like

Michael Pachi and Natalie Peters will take over Miranda Devine’s 2GB Sunday show from 6-8pm permanently after Devine decided to “spend more time with her family.”

MRN should do is have the news/talk network of 3aw/2gb/4bc and have the music (Magic) network of 3EE/2UE/4BH. That would do is nicely

I know the question wasn’t aimed at me, but as I’m in the same boat as DialInspector in that I’m an avid listener of US radio when I’m not listening to 2GB…

Of the national shows, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are my favourites. Rush is still entertaining and informative even though most of the news he mentions has already been mentioned elsewhere, but he has an interesting take. Mark Levin yells a bit too much in his monologues for some people, but with a background as a constitutional lawyer, he is always good at explaining his viewpoints. Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis is always good for some fun and conspiracy theories (it’s the sort of show I wish Macquarie had given to Brian Wilshire, even if they had to move him to 2UE to do it)…but I usually listen to the podcast rather than listen live for that one. Unfortunately Coast To Coast AM, which used to be really good fun in conspiracy talk, has become quite boring and predictable with guests allowed to just prattle on endlessly (and often mindlessly) without question most of the time. I also listen to a bit of Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity, but both shows get a bit repetitive.

At the local level, Casey Hendrickson on News/Talk 95.3 MNC (WTRC) in South Bend, Indiana is a definite future national star. A mix of good information, good fun, and unlike a lot of hosts in the US he can hold a civil conversation with callers even when they disagree. Unfortunately the stream for that station is a bit wonky just at the moment. I’m also a big fan of Tom Warr on WCBM Baltimore, and Inga Barks on KNZR Bakersfield California. Unfortunately Darla Jaye has left Talk 980 KMBZ-AM Kansas City. Also very good is Alan Stock on KXNT Las Vegas who has been with various Vegas stations for many years. The great thing about the local shows is that they all cover a lot of national topics in addition to local stuff, but usually in a less formal way, so it’s worth sitting through the “local council isn’t doing leaf pickup and it’s all accumulating under the snow” type topics.

There’s more, but I fear it might be a bit off-topic for a Macquarie Radio thread. That said, I really do think a show for Brian Wilshire modelled after some of the conspiracy-themed shows in the US such as Ground Zero and Coast To Coast would be a perfect fit for the new 2UE, and would add some extra interest to the impending brand-funded content. Sponsors in the US love some of those conspiracy shows and I could see that naturopath on 2GB (Russell Setwright??) being a perfect regular guest on such a show if he was given a bit more free reign

2 Likes

would love to get more of your views here please Samuel if/when you get time!

Wonder if John Cadogan has a permanent slot sat and sun afternoons? Seems like Tim Webster has moved to become a weekday afternoon presenter on 2ue.

Brigitte Duclos is filling in for Dee Dee Dunleavy on 3AW’s The Weekend Break today.

MRN say they will re-launch 2UE in March and it would appear that only John and Garry are currently on contract but I could be wrong. I just hope that Alan Pearsall and that woman on a Sunday night will move on but I fear not. Long suffering listeners to 3AW/2UE are no doubt aware that this boring woman from Nhill in Victoria seems to ring in every Saturday morning around 520am and she seems to be of the opinion that she is a feature caller and rattles on for about 10 minutes of nothingness with the “highs” and “lows” in her voice which is a throwback of speech therapy from the 1950s and 60s. It is interesting that callers are now ringing in complaining. Just how much longer do listeners have to put up with the “lonely hearts” type of programing, sending cheerios to each other and so on. I would listen to 2GB but the guy on weekends is obnoxious.

I expressed similar sentiments regarding that woman from Nhill in a post on the old forum. For some reason Pearsall allows these callers to rattle on endlessly about the same old garbage week after week. Serial pests that have been blacklisted on other shows, some of whom admit to having mental problems, even get to air and Pearsall does nothing to control or guide the conversation. It is not entertaining or informative radio. It is highly irritating.

I love to wake up to George and Paul on 2UE on the weekends but I now miss the early part of their show because I make a point of switching the dial before going to bed so as to avoid Pearsall. He makes me want to throw the radio against the wall. They need to get rid of him. I quite enjoyed Andrew and Simon when they did the midnight to dawn shift. Perhaps they could replace Pearsall.

Does that mean that Justin Smith is no longer at 2UE?

he left there about 6-8 weeks ago.

1 Like

When does the 1st radio ratings survey of 2016 start?

Has it already begun?

All of AW’s presenters are now back on-air.

–

Great to hear recently departed Gold FM presenter Brigitte Duclos, filling-in for Dee Dee on the Weekend Break on Saturday :blush:

I believe that the 1st radio ratings survey period of 2016 officially started last Monday. Results will be released around early March if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

As expected Chris Smith takes over 4BC afternoons from next Monday leaving Ben Davis as the last man standing. Very sad…

1 Like

I really hope those ratings continue to fall

Are they falling?

Last survey was 4.6 down from 5.3 I think. I guess they will increase a tad during the year but not by much. Poor 4BC, must only be a handful of staff left now.

Might as well rename the station 4GB and quit pretending it’s a local station…