Nine Radio (Talk)

Kerry O’Keeffe has been dropped from 2GB summer weekends, being replaced by Mark Levy and Ray Hadley’s mentoree Erin Molan, Phil Rothfield is reporting in The Sunday Telegraph.

No loss there.

Erin Molan was good filling in a few weeks back on the Contionus Call team.

Maybe Kerry O’Keefe will end up on the cricket coverage this time? Otherwise what was the point of bringing him in at all? They’ve also got David Morrow who did a lot of cricket for the ABC.

Erin Molan is definitely NOT being mentored by Hadley. It’s Mark Levy who panders to Hadley and listens to his every word like its gospel.

The reporter who wrote this sure got the impression that Hadley is Molan’s mentor. I wrote the comment based on this article.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/stellar/female-footy-reporters-on-sport-sexism-and-smashing-the-glass-ceiling/news-story/d2e5182dcf70da568a1fe544321aa9e2

He’s hitching is wagon to hers. Hadley would have never considered supporting a female sports host years ago. She’s popular and he knows it. Just like he’ll call it quits on the Continuous Call Team soon. The ratings on Saturday when he’s on are falling every year, beaten consistently by KIIS, Smooth and WSFM. The reason Hadley doesn’t enter the ACRA’s any more isn’t because he “wants to pass the baton to someone younger”. It’s because a few years ago he was beaten by Ben Fordham and Hadley’s precious ego can’t deal with it.

1 Like

I forgot to switch to 702 for the 7am news this morning so I heard the news on 2GB:

“A man has been arrested in bushes after police allege he collided with a tree in Sydney’s west”

Is it now a crime to walk into a tree?

How I miss the 2UE newsroom. Every single morning.

4 Likes

Herald Sun says today Richard Stubbs is returning to radio after a year’s break. He will be part of a hour-long segment on The Weekend Break every week alongside his brother Grubby, and Dee Dee.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I think the days of longserving radio news presenters and reporters with distinctive voices you know and trust are probably slowly coming to an end, at least in major metropolitan markets. The likes of Steve Blanda, Glenn Daniel, Ron Wilson and even Geoff Field (to use a more recent example) are probably among the last of their kind in Sydney radio news.

In recent years, presenters/reporters (including, but certainly not limited to those at Macquarie National News in Sydney/Canberra) have usually been on radio news for a few years before either transitioning to TV news or switching to something like PR or government media advisory. And yes, even many of the people who were in the 2UE newsroom at the time of it’s closure have since gone onto other media roles.

A fairly high rotation of news presenters/reporters probably doesn’t help the quality of Macquarie National News (radio news in general to an extent, it must be said), but you can’t really blame radio news presenters/reporters for wanting to further their media careers at outlets where there are more expansive media opportunities.

Sorry for the double post, but 2GB is currently airing a new commercial on Sydney TV including what sounds like a 2016 update (the original was from 2011, followed by update in 2012 which sounds not too dissimilar to this new version) to their “The Power Station” jingle:

Interestingly enough, this airing of the commercial was from during the early morning “Toasted TV” cartoon block on Eleven. Is this really the same demographic that listens to 2GB?!

Maybe because it’s dirt cheap to run a commercial on a multichannel in off peak times?

2 Likes

A more realistic ad for 2GB would contain would at least contain:

• The live baiting of a greyhound race
  • Clover Moore riding in a bike lane
  • A major bank giving Alan Jones some cash for comment
  • Ray Hadley giving Andrew Moore the sack
3 Likes

Hideous jingle.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that was a poor jingle but Macquarie outdid themselves with the new 2UE Lifestyle Radio jingle. I change the station when it’s played. It’s that bloody awful.

4 Likes

2UE used to have what I’d regard as perhaps some the most iconic Sydney radio station branding of all time.

Who could ever forget such jingles as the “It’s half past(time)/It’s (time) O’clock” TOTH stings and the iconic “Radio Active” package? And of course, the various news themes with that morse code-esque sequence on the tail.

The newer/current “Talking Lifestyle” branding? I agree with NewsWeary, it really is bloody awful!

3 Likes

Finally some positive news at 2UE. Murray Olds has rejoined the station as breakfast producer.

2 Likes

Heard lots of “Summer of Cricket” promos on the Weekend Break with Grubby & Dee Dee this afternoon :slight_smile:

Now am I correct in saying, for some reason, 2GB don’t take the coverage?

(Also that TV ad, WTF??)

It appears that it will be on 2UE.

1 Like

Assuming the new format hasn’t changed things, Macquarie’s main cricket coverage in Sydney will be on 2UE as it was the last couple of years

1 Like

The Buzzard really needs to get behind the mic again.