Nine Radio (Talk)

I thought they wanted to concentrate on talk/news and let ACE run their music stations, which makes the decisions to secure Brent strange.

Interesting, they may adopt a similar log as 4KQ or have a log similar to the old 4BH before ACE took it over.

give it a chance :man_shrugging:

Why? I think they’re doing an excellent job programming those stations with the personnel they’ve got. Can’t see that putting substantial coin into an additional person makes any sense at all, particularly with the way 2UE is building audience at the moment.

1 Like

I don’t think all of L,G and M’s former listeners on 4KQ will follow them over to 4BC ,maybe some will,time will tell.
4BC is known for being a talk station,will they feature much music on their show?

3 Likes

Where does it say that nine radio/4bc has hired Brent James?

It was in the Courier Mail.

1 Like

I think you’re right. The problem for those listeners that do follow them is what do they do after 9am. They won’t want to hear talk when they will have been listening to the classic 9 on 4KQ for years, or decades.

5 Likes

Over the past month Brisbane radio has been fascinating to follow when compared to Sydney. We might need Kyle and Jackie to go to 2GB breakfast to match this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The new TV ads for the 4BC Breakfast show have already started for Laurel, Gary and Mark. Also confirming they will play “Classic Hits you love”.

6 Likes

Surely they’ll only play a little bit of music to grow their audience.
Brisbane is a typically music focussed market anyway. Talk hasn’t dominated the numbers like it does in Sydney and Melbourne.
It feels like they’re responding to what the local audience wants. Isn’t that smart?

5 Likes

Good to see Nine have no problem with Laurel Edwards still appearing on Seven’s Weekender program.

Maybe we’re finally gone past these childish games.

2 Likes

I know the situation is a bit different (daytime vs night time, AM vs FM) but when Triple M has ‘The Spoonman’ at night, that was a talkback show mixed in with music and I thought that worked really well. Will be interesting to see how this goes. The most interesting bit will be observing how they go from LGM to Ray Hadley, certainly a change of pace :sweat_smile:. Although it works for a bunch of regional music stations who happen to take his show, so it’s probably fine.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t speak too soon.

2 Likes

Whilst I think 4BC smart are doing this, I wonder what 4BH are really thinking. They would of really fit in perfectly with the 4BH format.

I guess its business. If this is a great success, will Nine consider making 4BC a full-time classic hits station. Ace may want to get out of the lease or go with the Easy format again.

1 Like

4BC did bring Brent James. They must have some plan to utilize him.

Probably nothing, and I’m probably just speculating for no reason - but notice the lack of the News Talk part of the 4BC logo in the LG&M ad?

2 Likes

4BC moving to a music and talk format will be a bold choice by Nine, and with Brisbane audiences more inclined to listen to Music than Talk (the number 1,2 and 3 stations are usually Music formats), it could be a success for them.

If it does work for them, they could try it in Perth on 6PR too.

1 Like

It could be a reboot of the old Vega 40 years format… Talk & Music. It could of been a winner if they had of persisted. Earlier on MIX 106.5 FM tried with Mike Carlton too. I doubt 2UE would be “allowed” to do it.

3 Likes

Especially if they get an FM conversion there.

Honestly I was thinking of posting thinking Nine might do this - but then I looked up 4BC’s ratings and Breakfast was the one slot they seemed to be doing okay in, so figured they wouldn’t take the risk and killed the draft.

I still think it’s kinda risky - the content would clash hard with what follows and the rest of the station, but I suppose it’s tipping the toe in for a wider shift in the markets where their current news talk isn’t working - in Sydney and Melbourne there’s no point changing anything.

I can imagine they won’t be anywhere near “4KQ” in their music selections - it will be not much and very safe. I think that’s very much still the space and role for 4BH.

5 Likes