Nine Radio (Talk)

But it’s ok for the ABC. Interesting.

I wonder if Alan Jones will be offered a show on Nine rather than being on Sky News? He is now on iHeartRadio in the evening, given there is now a radio station streaming Sky News.

Yep. It was written before the media ownership changes, so there wasn’t^ a situation like Nine’s where they owned radio and TV in the same market, so it was just the radio stations ensuring that the TV stations couldn’t compete against them.

Until now there probably wasn’t much of a desire from TV networks to push to get that changed, but maybe now.

^excluding grandfathered licenses like WIN owing i98 of course.

2 Likes

Had a quick look and seems Dee Dee’s Afternoons show is one of the only 3AW shows not on podcast. It appears the old Afternoons podcast feed was moved with Dennis Walter to become the Nights podcast.

1 Like

Paul B Kidd was back on radio last night. A bit sore but still the same Paul :grinning:.

1 Like

Breaking. 3AW going back to local overnights with Tony Moclair.

5 Likes

Sounds like the Macquarie decisions before the Nine takeover is being slowly reversed.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, the decision to run networked overnight programming on 3AW was made in Early January, just after the Macquarie Radio Network became Nine Radio.

Of course it’d be even better if the other cities got local overnight shows again, but I can’t see (or more to the point, hear) that happening anytime soon.

1 Like
2 Likes

So 3AW will be back to live, local programming 23 hours a day. That’s very impressive these days. Well done Nine.

10 Likes

… it’s no surprise given the shocking debut results for 9Radio Music stations. The company would be mad to let GB or AW drop in ratings, even if it means further delaying the introduction of more announcers to their music stations …

4 Likes

And Money News with Brooke is a bloody good show I reckon. This is a great result. Such a proud Melburnian tonight.

3 Likes

While yes this is a good result, when will 9Radio address the elephant in the room and begin work on luring George Moore back to the network? He did make it clear that he would return if they tweaked their policies.

First it’s Melbourne GM, then it’s local Melbourne nights and now it’s local Melbourne overnights.

When is it Sydney’s turn? (Or for that matter when is it BRISBANE’S turn?)

2 Likes

What airs between 4-5.30am? On the website it doesn’t list anything, it says overnight airs 12-4am.

That’s the bigger question. not ONE local shift. Absolutely appalling. They need local breakfast and drive at the VERY least, with Old Gloria on the way out, it’s time to start making moves up there.

4 Likes

To be more correct: an internet stream of Sky. Sky is not on terrestrial radio.

Indeed. They’ll squeal in Canberra and get what they want. Successive govts have been giving media outlets what they want from Hawke with aggregation for Big Kerry and so on.

Must be quite a relief for you @Laoma, you seem to be his greatest advocate?

They had to. The erosion of bfast numbers before 7am was the similar cliff face that nights plunged into once Simon and Phil were booted.

The overnight figures must’ve been equally as dire.

A very long way down the list. Requires a much higher level of investment as it requires building a station from next to zero; Singo and Lang stripped the lot out of BC/BH.

Agree. You could begin in reverse by starting local nights and working backwards. There are structural weaknesses in the current audience base for BC, it drops dramatically for Drive and did when local with Ben Davis, as far back as their last full local year in 2014.

2014 seems a long time ago now.

2 Likes

3AW’S website hasnt been updated yet

It still has Michael McLaren doing overnights still

I wonder if Alan Pearshall will be back doing weekend overnights after 3aw sacked him and replaced him with 2gb’s Luke Grant

2 Likes

I would have Tony Schibeci presenting 3AW Weekend Overnights

3 Likes

I listened to the first couple of hours or so of Tony Moclair’s return. He essentially picked up from where he had left off at Christmas. To be fair he made some generous and gracious comments about Michael McLaren, saying that Michael had done a great job in recent months and given it his best shot. He also acknowledged that it was never easy for the presenter of a Sydney-based talk show to be networked into Melbourne.

He sidestepped a couple of questions from callers about whether Alan Pearsall would be returning at weekends - so I assume that’s a ‘no’ then!

2 Likes

Haha no where near. Many people sent him gift/cards etc. I even didn’t email him to send him my best wishes. Still a long way to be his greatest advocate :stuck_out_tongue:.

Bowen is also alleging that Hadley made racist comments about then fellow 2GB broadcaster Luke Bona who is Aboriginal.

1 Like

Love that AW has gone local overnight again. But what about weekends? It’s especially telling when footy is on. Luke Grant is such a big rugby league fan. They need a local overnight show on weekends IMO.