Nine Radio (Talk)

As much as I’d like to get speculative, Hadley (and probably many other radio personalities) will probably be on holidays next week because it’s a ratings break for Easter.

Annette Sharp claiming in The Sunday Telegraph that Alan Jones has rejected a verbal offer from 2GB of a one year contract on his existing pay of $4 million as Jones wants a two year contract. As of 10 April Jones has been allowed to negotiate with other companies.

In another Sharp story, Jon Harker and Graeme Hughes recall their experiences of Hadley bullying, and Sharp writes that there are now four complaints about Hadley from current 2GB staff.

It’s a pity 2UE wasn’t able to stumble on for a few more years. They may have been able to put a dent in 2GB’s ratings now that Jones is on the verge of walking and Hadley has been exposed for what he is.

4 Likes

Hadley does have a court date in Melbourne on Monday re George Pell. Will he appear, or will counsel be sufficient for him and the other accused?

1 Like

Yeah there was Andrew Voss too. Some of these folk are not that young so I dont think the old schools argument 80s and 70s excuse work. Obviously, not all old school people are bullies. Hey I liked the late Stan, who was not a bully to his staff.

I think the way the ABC stopped the Warren Ryan metal was the right thing to do when he had that fight. Also what they did with David. I like David a lot as a radio guy, but if you break the rules it should matter on how important you are you face the consequences. I dont always agree with the abc, I am an old school 2ue guy but I appreciate the ABC saw something wrong and acted swiftly, no matter how important they are for ratings. Though I guess the abc are not worried so much on the commercial side. Thats a different dynamic.

I can’t see it happening. Jones is more likely to expand his presence on Sky News than to help rebuild another radio station. It would take 2SM more than a couple of years to lift themselves out of the pit they’ve been wallowing in for decades even with Jones.

3 Likes

An opinion piece on Radioinfo by Peter Saxon: If Alan Jones left 2GB, would it be for love or money?

1 Like

I noted Peter said the audience may not follow Jones on 2sm comparing it to Laws. But Laws rating dropped after Alan left to 2gb so it was on the decline already (Hadley won the surveys) plus also it was a good few years before he popped up on 2sm. 2sm did zero marketing. In my view if Jones did move the audience should follow if there is some promotion and marketing effort.

Sad but true. I agree with Saxon that Jones will be likely to stay at 2GB (and I predict he will retire from 2GB too).

If this is the case, you can all expect a very bland future for Sydney AM radio - with 954AM and 1269AM never really challenging the unstoppable 2GB.

As for Hadley? Let’s face it, if Jones stays and Hadley goes, then GB will still succeed.

Not unless it is Hadley who we see pop up elsewhere (yes, I too doubt it will be SM given his relationship with Laws).

… maybe Hadley could do the Super Radio Network Breakfast shift from sunny Tweed Heads …

2 Likes

Stephen Quartermain and Kate Stevenson hosting 3AW breakfast this week, with Ross and John on holidays.

2 Likes

They were very good over summer. Quite enjoy when they fill-in now.
Justin Smith previously filled in instead of Quarters. I think Justin might be filling in for Tom Elliot so no longer does fill-in breakfast with Kate.

2 Likes

Does zero marketing. There has been no improvement.

Saxon could’ve chosen better words about Laws. 2SM doesn’t participate in the Sydney survey, so we have no idea.

2HD participates in the Newcastle survey where Laws is at or near the top. This is on a station again with zero marketing and programming that most would consider isn’t the best choice.

Drive suits him better.

2 Likes

Just about the only external advertising I’ve seen for John Laws since he moved to 2SM has been the very occasional ad in The Daily Telegraph with rather dubious production values.

And when was the last time that 2SM last advertised on Sydney television? Probably at least two decades ago?

Indeed.

If Alan Jones were to move to 2SM (in which case there’s probably a fairly high chance of him taking listeners over from 2GB), there’s a very good chance that Sydney’s radio ratings surveys could become absolutely meaningless unless the station were to do the right thing and participate in surveys. Not holding my breath for this to happen though!

1 Like

If Alan Jones were to move to 2SM (in which case there’s probably a fairly high chance of him taking listeners over from 2GB), there’s a very good chance that Sydney’s radio ratings surveys could become absolutely meaningless unless the station were to do the right thing and participate in surveys. Not holding my breath for this to happen though!

Jones may make it a request as part of his contract that 2SM must return to the ratings.

After all, if they are to ‘profit share’ like some reports have stated, then they will need to rely on factual audience numbers to sell advertising.

1 Like

I’d like Alan to jump over to 2sm, just to shake things up a bit in Sydney. From left field I hope George and Paul too go to 2SM. They could also recruit Stuart Bocking, Mike Jeffreys, & John Stanley. But I think I am dreaming.

Is Stuart Bocking on radio anywhere? He was a big loss to the airwaves when 2UE went to TL.

1 Like

He moved on as producer for Ray Hadley. Lasted only a short while, can only guess what happened! I believe Stuart is now working the finance industry but could be wrong. Obviously waiting for the opportunity to return to the airwaves.

2 Likes

I wonder if Murray Wilton would be the same? He’s certainly been getting a good run on Sydney TV in his role for the RAS over recent days!

1 Like

Stuart went on to be media advisor to Deputy Premier John Barilaro. As far as I know, he still is.

1 Like