Nine Radio (Music)

Why not simulcast the 2GB call? Beyond belief

2 Likes

MRN management should be booted. Any other competitive industry, this public company would be swooped upon.

Moves made for a take over with value seekers knowing a replacement of management would improve profitability.

2 Likes

I can’t help but think their hands are somewhat tied in that I think their programming has been dictated by the sale of 2CH, which I suspect stipulates that MRN won’t launch a music format on 873 or 954 to compete with 1170 for a period of say 3 years.

But yes, they should have returned 882 and 1278 in Brisbane and Melbourne back to easy listening music formats by now.

1 Like

They make a quick profit too. Existing infrastructure absorbed by talk station.

On air talent cost, marketing cost (marketing recovered by sales, see Gary Roberts’ approach).

Dual roles of program of music director spread over dayshift talent. Weekend casuals. Total spend under half million and most likely under $400 000.

2 Likes

MSR - burn it with fire

4 Likes

Would they just surrender the licence for the sake of failure :persevere::persevere::persevere:

Can be done but commercially unlikely.

Sell it to Wheatley, WIlliams, EON etc.

No survey to worry of if acquired by Bill Caralis too, could have John Laws on in cap cities before he retires for the final time, great finish across the three metros.

What became of the Lamb family? None of the younger generations have any appetite for returning to radio investing?

1 Like

MSR in Brisbane and Melbourne as well as Perth DAB will broadcast live rugby union for the first time, starting with Saturday’s first test between Australia and Ireland.

I keep hearing there might be some restriction on 2UE playing music because of the 2CH sales, but I’m not sure I buy it. I recall MRN were doing everything possible to avoid selling and there were a couple of interested parties so it seems unlikely the buyer would have had much bargaining power.

1 Like

The survey result for Macquarie Sport Radio is even more disastrous when you consider it is a rolling survey, and the new format launched on April 4. Therefore there is nearly 4 weeks with the stronger rating Talking Lifestyle format, so the figure is inflated. The ratings show they lost half the audience, the reality is they lost all of the audience in Sydney since the sports format began.

But do these players actually have any spare cash?, 2CH continues to lose money.

MRN were forced to sell because they acquired 2UE and thus ended up with 3 stations in Sydney, which is against the ACMA rules that states a limit of 2 stations per market under common ownership.

You know the format is a dog when TL is referred to as ‘stronger rating’. This truly is a laugh, MRN, accidental comedians, intentional idiots.

Wheatley, Williams and their equity partners bought the station knowing full well it’d take quite some time to turn around. They’re experienced radio types, they know what is possible and they know what is probable.

Agree. Considering the involvement from ACMA for the CH sale, you can imagine the outcome. To have a restriction on another station would result in control of a licence. When Mac Bank offered conditional loans to Stuart Elmie whilst invested in what is now SCA was interpreted by ACMA as undue control.

It would’ve been a most frustrating situation for potential buyers and many more would have considered (everyone wants real estate of any type in Sydney) but been deterred by MRN’s conduct. Hence, ACMA’s involvement in the final sale.

The more the formats change, the more the value reduces, the more the bottom feeders will be out. In the 90’s Bill and Pam picked up a then bargain for 2SM, perhaps they’d like a repeat over three cities for less than the cost of one station back then.

There’s a detectable ratings increase for Macquarie Sports Radio 1278 in the drive slot - double the figure previous survey to take it to 0.9% - likely the result of a few disaffected SEN drive listeners tuning back into the former SEN drive hosts Ox and Marko. Unfortunately for Macquarie Sports, even this barely detectable bit of good news had no material impact on the ratings at SEN. I’m now very much annoyed they demolished Talking Lifestyle just in order to achieve these results. As sport is a lifestyle, perhaps better just to have had a couple of sports slots and a bit of live sport (which TL was already covering). Much as listeners ignored Talking Lifestyle, the positive side of that is that many Sydney listeners kept their 2UE listening habit going while certain programs remained in place. Now 2UE is collapsing as fast a Magic, exactly as predicted here and right on cue. I take no joy in saying that - I’m more sad than angry. Listening from Melbourne, I found Talking Lifestyle was warmly presented, refreshing and innovative in parts and many other listeners jumped online to voice their disappointment at the station’s axing. It went from being my favourite stations to being something of no interest at all in one moment and I wonder how many other listeners experienced that moment with the same reaction. The ratings released yesterday now providing some of that answer. I note 4KQ’s strong performance this survey may point toward where at least Melbourne’s 1278 may head next. Unlike its sister stations in Sydney and Melbourne, which evolved towards attracting the Gen Xers, 4KQ has stuck with the Baby boomers. It ticks the 65+ demo box first and foremost but also enjoyed a healthy rise in 40-54’ even under the weight of all that commercial FM competition. No point going back to Magic, Smooth FM having evolved that easy listening branding for a new age, but I reckon there’s room for a music reboot of Melbourne’s 1278 with a big playlist of top 40 from the 50s through to the 80s. Maybe even call it BIG 1278 for impact and differentiate it from all the tightly play listed FM formats (that’s a serious suggestion - a Classic Rock station in Washington DC has that name). However much I’m on point, what’s the point in introducing a me-too sports channel in Melbourne while 4KQ endures with the bloody obvious format for 65+ ?

In Melbourne, that’s true. In Brisbane, there’s far less choice. AM supplemented by digital would well surpass Smooth on digital only.

You would knock off many off the top end of 973, disrupt KQ and likely knock off female audience from 4MMM.

Format a station clearly for over 40’s. Skew the av aud age at 50 - 55and off you go.

Lots of interesting observations you make @Joey1026, hope to return to them soon.

2 Likes

I know that. But they delayed and fought tooth and nail just the same.

1 Like

Absolutely correct! 4BH with their old smooth like format on AM and DAB would work because there is no Smooth on FM in Brisbane. The problem is that while they dither about they’re squandering their chance, because Smooth on DAB only is starting to gain a hold.

2 Likes

Yes I think you’re right that a 4KQ format is the obvious gap in Melbourne, particularly with where Gold 104 is heading.

I think the increase of 2CH ratings was helped from the 2UE change of format again. Not all went to 2GB.

I wish 2SM would get into the ratings. Would love to see 2SM vs 2UE ratings now. It would be interesting to see if Bill Carali’s buys 4BH at a bargain rate and John Laws is there too. See if he can beat Ray in Brissy.

Bill is not interested in ratings too much.

2 Likes

Strangely I decided to tune into Macquarie Sports radio during state of origin. It feels empty without a call and just talk about the game… The announcer is doing his best.

2 Likes