Nine Radio (Music)

Its almost like they hope no one notices. I think they should just embrace it.
“All the great songs you know on the magic network up and down the coast.” Like Saturday night live on 2ue embrace networking.

This might reflect todays corporate society or political scene. Today in general companies/polticians( from my observations an outsider looking in would )would rather pretend or deny a problem exists, and if one raises the issue they might be branded as negative. Perhaps the announcers may know people notice but cant say anything or do anything about it. Job security is more important. Can totally understand.

It could me just getting old. I am sure it happened in old days too :-). I dont know it felt people were more free in their jobs in the good old days. People were more individuals. Radio stations were more unique too. Today I think talk radio at least allow individuals to shine a bit.

1 Like

@ Laoma
You are so right - and not just about radio. Companies and other organisations exist on spin these days and pretend things don’t exist, and anyone who raises the inconvenient facts is branded a troublemaker… lol. It’s a societal problem these days I’m afraid, and it’s something that’s evolved in the last decade or so.

Agree in the case of the Magic network they should just embrace it. People see through the BS anyway. National stations in the UK like BBC2 and Absolute just go with it and don’t hide the fact they are national and not local.

1 Like

And in saying that, BBC R2 is the no.1 station…

One thing Magic could do is have voice tracked “windows” during the networked programming for say 1 or 2 mins to talk about specific events relevant to each city eg. so that those events like the Kedron-Wavell Services Club one that BrianC refers to above is only aired in the Brisbane window, whilst Melbourne and Sydney each get one that covers something for their cities, or a shared generic one.

The other option is to focus on the music, and have presenters that come across as being knowledgable and passionate about the music.

Have also noticed that, from a 2CH perspective, the network music is certainly more contemporary that what you used to hear eg. more 80s … they played Feargal Sharkey and The Pointer Sisters within a couple of songs of each other around 9pm last night.

certainly much more upbeat than Smooth FM. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Smooth, but it can put you to sleep sometimes. 2CH is just so much better.

Yeah lots of good ideas that have been posted, that probably would not cost too much. Perhaps if you took these ideas to the managers they may still ask for you to provide a business case. It then becomes too hard :). Trying to justify and prove you should do basic things. And those basic things no one could prove 100% it will increase revenue or ratings. This is a reflection of how things can work today in the 2010s.

On a positive note I like the music when compared to smooth or ws fm :slight_smile:

@ MarkHD
Yes I love Smooth too, but it can seem a little sleepy at times. Magic 882 was sounding a LOT more upbeat and better than Smooth right before they started networking with 1278 then it went downhill, and now they seem to be coming good again with more 80s and ‘soft but upbeat’ songs. 882 was playing some newer stuff too before the merge, like Adele and new Tina Arena - not often, just occasionally. Let’s hope they get back to that again too. Someone on here put me onto an LA station called The Wave - I’m addicted to their playlist, and also loved KOST FM when I was there last year. Magic network please take note :slight_smile:

Yep! I love The Wave - that was me. It’s on at least 2 hours per day here.

You have so much choice in Melbourne.:slight_smile: Interesting 2ch still has local programming on Sat night with bob rogers reminising show.

I believe that Sunday Night with Kel Richards is also continuing on Magic 2CH Sydney for the moment! :wink:

Magic farewells Jane Holmes

The Magic family is very sad to announce that Jane Holmes has decided to
hang up her headphones, and will make her final appearance on Magic 1278 and Magic 882
Breakfast this Friday morning, the 8th of April.

It was announced this morning (Thursday 7th of April)

http://www.magic1278.com.au/news/magic-farewells-jane-holmes-20160406-go0cv1.html

That is a big surprise. A big loss to Magic1278. Will she continue on her on-air role with Neil Mitchell’s morning program on 3AW though?

“decided to hang up her headphones” or “accepted our request to go quietly”?

The way things are at that organisation I’m not at all surprised if it’s the latter. Especially being at a day’s notice.

1 Like

Will they network the breakfast show from Sydney?

Yes, wondering if she walked of her own free will, or was pushed?

Rumours are, Wilbur Wild will join John Blackman for Breakfast in Melbourne.

1 Like

maybe she decided she just wanted to do the morning spots with Neil, or maybe didn’t get along the best with Blackman?

Blackman and Wilde have worked together before. Originally back on the old 3UZ but then on a more freelance basis for stations around the country. I think they used to do it all from Blackman’s home studio.

Maybe but what are the chances? The way MRN have sacked and dumped people across its network in recent times it’s not a great track record.

The wording Jane used in her departure announcement linked above didn’t seem like she voluntary decided to leave Magic…

Jane Holmes still doing her weekly 5:30am Saturday Talking TV with Alan Pearsall for the moment on 3aw and 2ue Australia Overnight

I flicked over to Magic 882 on digital a few times this week just to see if the music had improved. Sadly no, it was as bad or worse than ever. Then I visited my local post office, where they’ve been playing 4BH then Magic 882 on the radio for absolutely years and years (as long as I can remember) - and yes, they were on 4KQ. It’s officially over.

2 Likes