Nine Radio (Music)

Does anyone know why ace is playing Billy Joel’s latest song on a classic hits station like Magic 1278? Ace should drop the classic hits format for a hits and memories format instead. Playing the best songs from 60s to now.

1 Like

Because he’s a core artist for the station?

1 Like

I prefer a hits and memories format personally. Like The Breeze does by playing selected new music alongside the classic hits/soft AC.

Actually 4KQ had a greatest memories & latest hits format in the early 90s and in the late 90s/early 2000’s 4BH played a mix of old and new easy listening.

4 Likes

Yeah - it’s absolutely the weakest point for formats like Gold/WS have - in not playing new music that fits the format, especially when you can play new stuff from artists that are on the station.

If it’s a new track from an artist you already play, I think that’s something you just go for, most of your audience will be interested.

Trying to go beyond that, and finding tracks from new artists that fit the format is a tougher one, because it can be a station switcher if you get it wrong - but adding tried and tested recurrents from the AC stations within a year, rather than waiting a decade is a good balance and can freshen up the playlist.

I suppose, how do you take the formula of Breeze, but apply it to something more up beat. I don’t think Magic needs to toss everything out to become a hits and memories format, just 1 or 2 tracks an hour that fit the format so you stay in touch with newer songs.

6 Likes

Just as long as Magic stays away from “Easy listening” I wouldn’t mind some newer “stuff”. Just leave the easy listening to 3MP.

3 Likes

Magic should relaunch has Hot Hits 3XY and play more lively music from the 1970s to recent but mainly focus on 70s and 80s. Play 12 inch versions along with lively jingles. Agree they should stay away from easy listening and 1960s music and let 3MP cater for that audience. They have nothing to lose at this point given they are at the bottom of the ratings list.

2 Likes

Mind you Ace Radio Management does not check Media Spy Forums for feedback and suggestions. So it is best to send them a email, phone them or text them for suggestions

1 Like

I think Jon Vertigan does and suggest you contact him.

Thanks. I did and he responded. Legally they cannot change the name of the station. He appreciated the feedback.

1 Like

There’s not really a lot Ace Radio can do with Magic as they don’t own it.
It would depend on what the lease contract says with Nine radio, they may not even be able to change the format of the station, essentially they only lease air time & program/play-out the music, Nine radio still control & own everything else, the licences, the “station names”, the studio & transmission equipment, etc.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it has been mentioned but Tim Webster has left the ABC apparently a bit sad he was not offered a better shift. This now opens the possibility of a return to 2UE. If it was me I would give him mornings across Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and allow him to talk a bit.

6 Likes

I’d give him 2UE Drive.

The Nine music stations should be local during the day none of this same presenter in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney. They may rate double figures if they did.

not a chance

Only if there is a decimal point involved, me thinks.

Tim was doing summer cover overnights at the ABC but I don’t think he’s completely severed his ties there. He’s just been trailed as having a segment on overnights this morning reviewing the weekend’s sport, so he may keep popping up there, including for further cover work. However, I agree he would work very well on 2UE if the opportunity arose

Yes, I am sure you are right as it gives him the opportunity of lighting the workload and getting out to smell the roses.

That’s only happening 14:00 - 1900
Cathy Jubb
The rest of the time seems to be one presenter per city

2 Likes

and even during this 2-7pm time, it’s not really networked. When I listen to 4BH it’s a local music log, Cathy says 4BH all the time, she references Brisbane things. An average listener would think it’s being broadcast out of Brisbane. I assume the same thing occurs on 2UE and 3MP during this time too.

On weekdays the only true networking that I believe occurs is the Classic Hits Lunchbox between 4BH and Magic 1278. That show has no local references to the station from Gavin Miller and has the exact same songs between the 2 stations. The 5 O’Clock Top 10 Countdown on 4BH and Magic 1278 is the same songs each day on both stations, but isn’t networked since there’s different announcers on each station.

I’ve actually found the addition of Gavin Miller to 4BH this year has been really good. He adds some of that music trivia/history to his show, kinda like what Brent James offered at 4KQ (except less local obviously). The only thing I notice and I can’t quite explain it, but Gavin Miller’s audio sounds slightly different to everyone else on 4BH, I don’t know what it is, but it just sounds slightly different.

4 Likes

I like the Lunchbox program from Gavin Miller at midday on 4BH ,he does come up with some interesting trivia about songs ,etc

3 Likes