Nine Radio (Music)

Yes what is with that?

2 Likes

but at least ACE running Magic/2UE/4BH was a huge improvement over the previous Nine Radio-run incarnation of Magic: No news outside of 6am-6pm weekdays and 6am-noon weekends, announcers (albeit voice tracked) and they don’t repeat the same playlist 12 hours later. Too bad it doesn’t rate too well in Melbourne compared to Sydney, Brisbane and Cruise 1323 in Adelaide.

3 Likes

I see few busses in Melbourne advertising Ross and Russ on 3aw which is a waste they are top rating. Everybody knows about Ross and Russ. Instead they should be advertising Shawn Consgrove on Magic 1278 since harly any body knows about Shawn Consgrove

1 Like

Why would Nine pay to advertise a station they don’t program?

5 Likes

That might be one of the reasons they unloaded the programming of it to Ace then

Because they own it.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Does anyone know how long the ACE agreement is for?

Although ACE in a logistic sense acts a content provider for Nine, I think for all intents and purposes it’s ACEs station, so any promotion would be on them, not Nine.

4 Likes

I’ve not been told, but imagine all promotions of the music stations would be on ACE not Nine, as ACE would get the revenue from advertising & not Nine, though there may be a deal as part of the lease contract where Nine get a % of the advertising revenue on the station like they do with the affiliate agreements on programs such as Hadley on other stations.
Nine won’t really lose if the station fails, but ACE would, the onus of success will be on ACE not Nine, if it fails, Nine will just take control again & program it themselves, or lease it out to someone else to supply music content.

7 Likes

Ace Radio should throw caution to the wind and rebrand Magic as 3XY complete with old jingles and play more 70s & 80s daggy songs that 3XY played at the time. Market both 3MP and 3XY together. 3MP is sounding pretty good at the moment but Magic is still a little bit too safe. As 3XY they could be a lot more adventurous playing music that hasn’t been heard on radio for years.

1 Like

Good idea, but I think the 1422 Radio Hellas HPON occupying the old XY frequency is or was using the 3XY callsign? They could still buy it if so, but may not be worth the outlay?

yes they are but it was mentioned around here a while ago that the XY trademark is potentially up for grabs as Radio Hellas didn’t renew it, although AFAIK they still use it.

1 Like

Yes it’s a shame ,he should be working for 4BH😕

3 Likes

Who? Brent James? I think 4BH is doing quite nicely without him.

4 Likes

Cher - Believe this arvo during the 5 o’clock countdown. Bit jarring on the back of Sounds of silence.

1 Like

IMO they could do better. The music format needs a bit of refinement in my opinion. It can get a bit rough around the edges and 4BH is traditionally an easy listening station. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be classic hits, but some songs jar in a way 4KQ never did.

1 Like

I was talking about their current survey numbers rather than specifics around the format, but I take your point about refinement. Personally I think 2UE’s music is the same - ie needs some sharpening so that nothing jars. It’s not rocket science, just a good ear and a real commitment to sending the very best you can up the stick!

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

For some reason, the live stream for Magic 1278 is live streaming 3aw instead

That needs to be fixed ASAP

I just emailed Magic 1278 at info@magic1278.com.au to let them know about this

2 Likes

I just got a email from Scott Menz

Hi

Thanks for your email and apologies for the disruption - our engineers are looking into it as a priority.

Thanks
Scott and the Magic team.

1 Like