Nine Radio (Music)

Agreed, It seems to be improving every week. 3MP has also greatly improved since Ace took over.

3 Likes

Not hard given 1377 hadn’t been a music station for a few years :wink:. Although I did enjoy the Classic Rock period, I think the balance provided by an easy listening station is welcome even if sometimes they skew a little old for my tatse.

If I was Ace Radio, I would book ads on TV for Magic 1278 to promote it across Melbourne and let people know there is a classic hits of the 60s 70s and 80s station again! After Gold 104.3 abandoned the 60s and most of the 70s ages ago. With a playlist like that they deserve to get higher ratings to the level that 4KQ had and Cruise 1323 has! Also 3MP should book print ads in local Peninsula newspapers to promote “the Peninsula’s own radio station!”.

2 Likes

I agree with you, 3MP had it’s Origins in Frankston on the Mornington Peninsula, While the Station shall join the Heritage Regional AM Network while Magic sticks with Classic Hits and Continue to be linked with 2UE & 4BH.

unlikely, unlike all the heritage regional AM network stations 3MP can’t take 3AW programming and SEN football because both these stations are receivable across the 3MP service area and it would have caused duplication. Also 3MP was synonymous with easy music for much of its life it should stay that way.

2 Likes

??? (I randomly check ARN “find your local station” site and found this - if station is not owned or operated by ARN but only have partnership in form of of ad sales, then 2UE must be placed at “ARN Regional” (like 2SM) @myfriend)

Ratings lifts for 4BH and 2UE. Not so good for Magic. Results out shortly

1 Like

4BH will have a great survey 6!

5 Likes

Such a shame Magic1278 isn’t really promoted. They are the best.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it probably more promotion needed.

I think Easy Music is too close to the classic hits as a format. As 2UE do play some upbeat pop and isn’t as easy as 2CH was. I think Ace could consider replicating the Rebel format. I know Classic Rock was tried before, but Rebel really has taken it to the next level rather than what “Vega” did where the classic rock was almost just like WSFM/Triple M. Rebel is really different and the old rockers may just the format and it can really different compared to “easy” music with some pop music (essentially like 2UE not sure they share the same playlist as 3MP) . I know its on the AM Band but these days there is DAB and online.

3 Likes

Yes agree. 3MP and Magic are too close when there is only a limited audience pool that’s mostly shared between the two. They kind of need to merge the easy music/classic hits like they’ve done on 4BH and run that on 4BH/2CH/3MP and do something more adventurous with Magic like a Rebel format. That could attract listeners from Triple M and Gold rather than canibalise the 3MP audience.

2 Likes

They haven’t done anything new. Just copy KQ.
Easy .

2UE & 3MP run separate playlists from one another.

2 Likes

Hmm not sure I agree. They’ve copied elements of 4KQ but it’s definitely not a carbon copy. The overall sound of the station is quite different. A bit softer, like 4BH has always been.

1 Like

Did 4kq play any 90’s songs?

2 Likes

They did occasionally, though not as much as WS & Gold.

1 Like

Magic 1278 should do the same then and play the occasionally 90’s songs as well

1 Like

Yes they did play some early 90s stuff.

Actually also in the 90s they used to play some 90s songs when they had the Greatest Memories/Latest Hits format.

I’ve noticed the odd 90s song on 4BH too of late.

Or Else, join the Heritage AM Network across Regional Victoria, Imagine Magic networking in the Afternoons with 3YB, 3CS, 3HA, 3WM, Gold 1242, 3SH, 2AY, 3NE & 2QN???

1 Like